What is your expirence living in Section 8 housing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

lostguyFL
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Feb 2022, 5:50 am

I'm an adult male living in northern Florida. I'm disabled/autistic early 20s and on SSI. I recently just made the top of the section 8 housing list. I'm glad that i had but im a bit worried.

im worried that they're going to move me into a very bad place with thugs or criminals. I'm not really worried about anyone trying to attack or hurt me while im at home (I can fend for myself pretty well.) BUT im mainly just worried about getting my stuff stolen while im away from home (i have a lot of computer and gaming stuff).

I also plan on getting a security system for the apartment i'll be moving in.

But im just curious, has anyone here ever lived on section 8? what has been your expirence?

Everyone keeps telling me that section 8 people are usually sent to live in dangerous areas and sketchy areas with horrible conditions. Is that really true?

i just dont want people breaking in and stealing my stuff while im away. thats what im mainly worried about but i also dont want to live in a horrible condition place with bugs either....

Am i over-reacting? is there anything i should know? what is your expirence on section 8 housing?

Also, incase you guys are wondering, I DO NOT have a criminal record at all... just making that clear...

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 11:44 am

In my experience the nature of the section 8 housing community and residents varies with and reflects the general nature of the surrounding community.

The Section 8 apartments I lived in in the Kansas City area had a different nature of resident than the county seat farm burg where I live now.

Most residents are just people wanting to live life and have their family.
The thing is, though, while 100 residents are of that nature it seems to be the 15 residents who, let's just say, 'have issues' who seem to most strongly influence the atmosphere of the neighborhood.

Federal and state regulations and state law are supposed to prohibit and remove things like drug activity.
What the laws say and how diligently the local authorities & apartment management act upon those laws may or may not be congruent.

:arrow: Keep information about what possessions you have to yourself.

By way of illustration:

One place I moved in to: while I was moving in with some help from my parents who hired some help there was a fellow from an adjacent unit rather persistent and a bit pushy about wanting to help us carry my stuff in.

I got a bad vibe from the thing, from him. Told him that my health is a bit of a mess, (which it actually is, that's why I qualified) and I was already at the limit of how many people I could 'direct traffic' for.

As far as break-ins and theft:
The one time that has happened to me so far was in the 1990s when my health was decent and I was working and living in non-section 8 apartments.

What all this that I've said adds up to, I don't know, but there it is.