Nobody interested in the Russia-Ukraine conflict?

Page 77 of 195 [ 3108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 195  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 May 2022, 2:05 pm

ironpony wrote:
For all the Russian soldiers who quit the war, what are they going to do... Seek asylum in Ukraine and fight on their side?
Some do. https://odessa-journal.com/arestovich-t ... ia-legion/
But I suppose most just want to get away from the fighting, wait for the end of the war and go home.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 6:32 pm

i was under the impression that deserters' lives were not worth a plugged nickel, IOW if they went home they'd be shot.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 6:48 pm

@ Auntblabby , maybe they can seek asylum somewhere ? :|

where ever you go ,there you are

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 6:54 pm

magz wrote:
ironpony wrote:
For all the Russian soldiers who quit the war, what are they going to do... Seek asylum in Ukraine and fight on their side?
But I suppose most just want to get away from the fighting, wait for the end of the war and go home.

But would they be welcome back home if the government considers them guilty of treason? Would they have to stay in Ukraine and not go back therefore?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 6:57 pm

Jakki wrote:
@ Auntblabby , maybe they can seek asylum somewhere ? :|

i hope yes for their sakes. but these days it is tough to be a russian.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 7:11 pm

For Russia For Freedom interesting slogan..... hope it takes off.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 8:04 pm

ironpony wrote:

I heard there was a reward for Russian soldiers who did.
I have no idea how True that is.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 May 2022, 2:12 am

ironpony wrote:
magz wrote:
ironpony wrote:
But would they be welcome back home if the government considers them guilty of treason? Would they have to stay in Ukraine and not go back therefore?
I heard one of the routes to quit war is self-harm, e.g. shooting oneself in the arm or leg. You're transported home as "wounded". This method is said to be so common that several measures against it have been taken, e.g. wounded Russian soldiers are treated away from their regular places of living.

But there are other aspects:
1. Officially, Russia is not in a state of war (yes, I know it's absurd but that's Russia), so it formally can't punish its soldiers for refusing to take part in the special military operation;
2. No one knows what Russia will be looking like when it's over. If it's open and roughly civilized, they will be able to come back. If it's closed and even more authoritarian, many may not want to go back.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

26 May 2022, 6:20 am

Russia likely cares for its living just a little more than it cares for its dead -

[BBC] Ukraine war: Bodies of dead Russian soldiers abandoned near Kyiv

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:14 am

in a ideal world the Russian Soldiers could just surrender, after wounding themselves .?
And perhaps could be repatriated to their country after the war ended .
Ukrainians could put up large signs on their frontlines or drop leaflets , telling Russian soldiers to
surrender and they would not have to fight anymore . Explaining about repatriation as soon as the War ended .???? :mrgreen:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 May 2022, 8:27 am

In an ideal world, it all would not have started...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:30 am

In an ideal world. there would have been Ukrainian-Russian cooperation as far as the Crimean and other Black Sea ports were concerned.

In an ideal world, the Russians would have acknowledged the ethnic dignity of the Ukrainians, and not try to make them "Russian."

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 May 2022, 8:32 am

In an ideal world, Novgorod Massacre would not have happened and Russia would be a loose federation of democratic states.
But we're not living in that universe.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 8:59 am

In an ideal world, communist regimes would not be Russia-centric.
If history had not made this joke, perhaps the order of the entire world would have been very different.

This is the misfortune of the entire economic left and the misfortune of Russia.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 May 2022, 2:55 am

I'm getting a news that falsely subtitled speech of Polish president is being shared in Chinese social media.
https://factcheck.afp.com/doc.afp.com.32AF9YN
I'm familiar with the speech itself, along with general Polish-Ukrainian relations, but I can't tell anything about the Chinese subtitles. Are they what they're said to be?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 12:18 am

magz wrote:
ironpony wrote:
magz wrote:
ironpony wrote:
I heard one of the routes to quit war is self-harm, e.g. shooting oneself in the arm or leg. You're transported home as "wounded". This method is said to be so common that several measures against it have been taken, e.g. wounded Russian soldiers are treated away from their regular places of living.

But there are other aspects:
1. Officially, Russia is not in a state of war (yes, I know it's absurd but that's Russia), so it formally can't punish its soldiers for refusing to take part in the special military operation;
2. No one knows what Russia will be looking like when it's over. If it's open and roughly civilized, they will be able to come back. If it's closed and even more authoritarian, many may not want to go back.

If Russia cannot legally punish it's soldiers because they are not officially in a state of war, than why do several Russian soldiers and commanders feel pressured into following orders to invade Ukraine if the government cannot punish them for disobeying?