Nobody interested in the Russia-Ukraine conflict?

Page 1 of 195 [ 3108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 195  Next

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2022, 3:08 pm

It's been all over the news. Yet, the Politics-forum on WP is VOID of any activity in threads concerning the situation in Ukraine, which can develop into WW3.

It's scary, actually! That nobody on this forum has any interest in discussing this conflict.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2022, 3:30 pm

thinkinginpictures wrote:
which can develop into WW3..

I doubt it.
And even if it did...develop into 'WW3'...what's worrying about it, going to do , anyway.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2022, 4:06 pm

I see very little possibility that Russia will invade the Ukraine. Putin is flexing his muscles and trying to avoid a further expansion of NATO troops towards Russia's borders. He's a pragmatist, and is neither crazy or stupid.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2022, 4:15 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
I see very little possibility that Russia will invade the Ukraine. Putin is flexing his muscles and trying to avoid a further expansion of NATO troops towards Russia's borders. He's a pragmatist, and is neither crazy or stupid.

People said exactly that about Hitler in the 1930s.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2022, 4:42 pm

VegetableMan wrote:

People said exactly that about Hitler in the 1930s.

Yeah, I don't think we're dealing with Hitler here.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2022, 7:14 pm

It's been all over the news. Yet, the Politics-forum on WP is VOID of any activity in threads concerning the situation in Ukraine, which can develop into WW3.

It's scary, actually! That nobody on this forum has any interest in discussing this conflict.

We HAVE talked about it in the "Current Events". It is scary, but there isnt much any of us can do about it.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 15 Feb 2022, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2022, 7:25 pm

VegetableMan wrote:

The issue is not "expansion of NATO troops towards Russia' borders". What he doesnt want is nations on his border joining NATO. Not quite the same things.

But either way- he is working against himself. Intimidating a neighbor is a good way to drive his neighbors to join NATO, and it could provoke NATO to mobilize and place troops eastward. So either way he would be working against himself if either of those is the issue.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Feb 2022, 6:11 am

Well, Putin has now declared that he no longer recognises Ukrainian sovereignty over Donbas and has ordered his troops to invade.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 6:24 am

can develop into WW3.

Not happening.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Feb 2022, 8:17 am

Quote:
Nobody interested in the Russia-Ukraine conflict?
viewtopic.php?t=404021

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Feb 2022, 8:18 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Well, Putin has now declared that he no longer recognises Ukrainian sovereignty over Donbas and has ordered his troops to invade.
Yep. The invasion has already happened, actually 6 years ago. Now it became official.

How can one say it's unlikely when it's already happened?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 8:45 am

For a while I was trying to avoid the news, but I'm actually curious about this situation.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 10:13 am

As a Finn I'm very worried. If Ukraine gets stomped over, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Russia invades another neighboring country on it's West side, and even if Finland didn't come directly after, it probably still would, eventually.

...I know it's a little self centered to think about this instead of thinking of the Ukrainians who're already suffering thanks to all this, but I can't help but worry. Guess the fact that my family history was heavily impacted by war against Russia has something to do with it. *shrug*

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Feb 2022, 10:16 am

^ It's totally in our self-centered interest to support Ukraine right now - because the sooner it stops the safer we - West neighbours of Russia - are.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 10:32 am

Unless you want to be dominated by Putin and the Russian system, it’s in everybody’s best interest in central and eastern Europe to support Ukraine.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Feb 2022, 11:05 am

Finland needs to join NATO as quickly as possible.

Unless it does, NATO’s priority will be defending Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia in order to make sure the alliance doesn’t collapse. The Baltics seem to be under more immediate threat than Finland in any case.

I don’t think there’s enough political will to defend non-NATO members from Russia. Probably the hope of Western leaders is that Russia will find the occupation of Ukraine to be too expensive, particularly combined with economic sanctions. But there’s a lot of grim things being left unsaid in that scenario.