Nobody interested in the Russia-Ukraine conflict?

Page 76 of 195 [ 3108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 195  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 2:56 pm

ironpony wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
ironpony wrote:
magz wrote:
ironpony wrote:
It was said before that Russia doesn't even have their nuclear warheads in their ICBMs and they have to be put in manually. Is this true?
From what I know, it is true. Warheads and rockets are stored separately.

If they are stored separately, would it be a good idea for NATO to have the warheads in the rockets ready to go just to be a step ahead of Russia just in case?

The strategic nukes of the Russia, US,China ,Britain and France are at a constant state of readiness.

That means they are loaded and ready for launch within several minutes probably less.

It’s been like that for half a century or so.

Battlefield nukes however are stored separately they tend to be weaker and have shorter range.

What's the difference between battlefield and strategic?

Strategic is the big picture. Tactical is the small picture.

Using the US navy to blockade all of the port cities of the south during the Civil War was a "strategy". But if you're on the battlefield at little Roundtop, and you poke the other guy in the eyes before you stab him with your bayonet - the eye poke is a "tactic".

Strategic nukes are the nukes used to wipe out the other guy's cities, and to wipe his country off the map.

Battlefield nukes (which might also be called tactical nukes) are meant to be used on the battlefied against the other guy's armed forces in battles .

Battlefied nukes (like nuclear artillery shells that are fired only fifteen miles by standard army guns) are less powerful so there is less collateral damage, and so they dont kill the guys manning the gun thats firing them.

Strategic nukes are usually fusion (ie hydrogen) bombs many times the power of the Hiroshima bombs. Battlefied nukes are usually fission bombs and are often only a fraction of the yield of the Hiroshima bomb. Or they are some crazy variant of nuke (like a neutron bomb that sends out energy that kills soldiers but leaves buildings intact).

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 3:21 pm

Found a piece of fake news.
The picture shows Prime Minister of Vietnam.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 3:27 pm

unfortunately it gets worse if Cobalt is used with the warhead, it leaves an area uninhabitable for up to 100 years.

Russia is developing the Poseidon underwater torpedo speculated to use cobalt warhead to take out coastal areas.

They have even built a huge new sub to carry it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZWh4jfT6bE
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status-6_ ... ose_System
https://news.usni.org/2021/02/25/new-de ... e-revealed

- George Bernie Shaw

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 May 2022, 3:29 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Where?

Prime Minister of Vietnam:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 3:33 pm

magz wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Where?

Prime Minister of Vietnam:

Le Minh Khai

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 3:40 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Found a piece of fake news.

But I've heard we should always trust CNN and never trust Twitter.
I've heard it from a very credible source. :mrgreen:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 May 2022, 3:42 pm

The handsome one ;)
At least it's clear who to blame. McCaul is the author of the false claim.
Probably genuinely not checking facts before speaking to the media. Bad habit for a politician in hot times. Can do a lot of damage.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 3:44 pm

Pepe wrote:
I wonder what it is like to be the most hated person in the universe?

After awhile you get used to it. 8)

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 3:49 pm

magz wrote:
The handsome one ;)
Probably genuinely not checking facts before speaking to the media.

That's the real issue, facts don't always get checked, especially when they align with the platform's desired narrative. Even 'credible' news services seem to have problems with this.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 May 2022, 3:56 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
magz wrote:
The handsome one ;)
That's the real issue, facts don't always get checked, especially when they align with the platform's desired narrative. Even 'credible' news services seem to have problems with this.
"Credible" news services inform of their sources, so in case something goes wrong, readers can track it down. And they should make a correction as soon as it's found out.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 4:00 pm

magz wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
magz wrote:
The handsome one ;)
"Credible" news services inform of their sources, so in case something goes wrong, readers can track it down. And they should make a correction as soon as it's found out.
Credible news services also check and correct their stories, especially those sources that post the original stories.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 May 2022, 4:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
magz wrote:
The handsome one ;)
Credible news services also check and correct their stories, especially those sources that post the original stories.

Which makes them slower than the less credible ones.
That's why I use several media outlets of different credibility level.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 4:08 pm

magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
magz wrote:
The handsome one ;)
Which makes them slower than the less credible ones.  That's why I use several media outlets of different credibility level.
Same here.  For instance, I started a thread about a shooting in Texas.  The number of dead is about 15 or 16, and different accounts say the shooter is dead or in custody (maybe there were two shooters?).  I have posted links to no less than 5 credible news sources so that their stories can be cross-verified as they are updated.

Still nothing on YouTube, though.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 8:36 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Tross wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Putin Survived Assassination Attempt Two Months Ago, Ukraine Official Says
Quote:
Russian President Vladimir Putin survived an assassination attempt two months ago, just after he announced the invasion of Ukraine, the country's chief spy has claimed.

Ukraine's Chief of Defence Intelligence Kyrylo Budanov claimed Putin, 69, was attacked in an "unsuccessful attempt" to kill him around two months ago when he was in the Caucasus—an area comprised of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia and parts of Southern Russia—only days into the Ukraine invasion.
Too bad. That would have saved countless lives. The world will be a slightly better place once that monster is six feet under, that's for sure.

I wonder what it is like to be the most hated person in the universe?
Well, I actually do. :mrgreen:

I thought Fnord was

:lmao:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 4:57 am

Quote:
Russian officer reveals why he quit Putin's war
May 23, 2022

A former Russian officer who took part in the invasion of Ukraine tells CNN why he resigned his post.
#CNN #News

Short video.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 2:01 pm

For all the Russian soldiers who quit the war, what are they going to do... Seek asylum in Ukraine and fight on their side?