AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 3:20 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Indeed!

That was the first truly weirdest movie I ever saw. I've never been on LSD or whatever, but I felt like it while watching that thing way back then.

IMO, this film can also be viewed as an early example of "eye candy" films.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 3:43 am

Okay, new top spot for me.
Mad God
I still don't know how I feel about it, whether I like it or not.

lovelyanathema
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jun 2022, 5:55 pm

I don't remember very much about it but Dune (1984) had one of the weirdest scenes I've ever seen

AedanKidd
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2022, 5:10 am

There are no stranger films than adaptations, for example Avatar, Attack of the Titans, death note are all just incredibly disgusting films that are simply strange compared to the original works.

Kerch
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 5:46 am

I've already said Where the Dead Go To Die but I think it's sequel When Black Birds Fly also applies. Unlike the first film, it actually tries to have a "deal" so to say. It's critical of religion although everything is very obfuscated by the weirdness. While I liked the over-the-top shock humour and genuinely disturbing parts of the first film, When Black Birds Fly is kind of unwatchable. The trippy visuals come to be downright obnoxious, the sound is altogether earrape, and the plot is far too drawn-out and boring. Nonetheless it scores high on the weirdness.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Kerch wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
The long version of "Emperor tomato ketchup".
8O

I just looked it up and 8O indeed. At least A Serbian Film didn't use real kids...

On a lighter note, I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time a couple of weeks ago and indeed it's something. After reading up about it it mostly just seems a lot of simple ideas wrapped up in a needlessly cryptic package. Although it's ambiguity does lead to a lot of interesting interpretations.

I own A Serbian Film.

My only question is... why???

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2022, 6:41 pm

For the Love of God.

It's a short animation film and it's VERY funny!

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2022, 12:07 pm

What do we mean by weird here? I find a lot of mainstream movies weird. I find almost all superhero movies incredibly weird. For me it's weird to have to root for a character who has powers beyond a normal human being - I don't get why that's interesting at all. yeah, "powers" - I don't get that. It's compounded by most of them looking like a videogame that someone else is playing - I just can't get invested in that.

But assuming we're talking about weird in a good way, can I add:

Synecdoche, New York - which is so mind bendingly depressing I can only watch it occasionally but still call it one of my favourite movies

Gerry - a Gus Van Sant film starring Matt Damon and Casey Affleck in which almost nothing happens, but a really weird thing happens in that because the film is so uneventful, really small bits of 'action' become like action sequences, properly tense and anxiety inducing.

Gummo - not for everyone, many find it pretentious. Parts of it are pretty grim. But I love the aesthetic, the mixing of video formats and what I found a surprisingly emotional finish.

Relax_on_Standby
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jul 2022, 4:36 pm

Live action Uzumaki or Beat Takeshi's Izo.