Page 4 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 2:41 am

auntblabby wrote:
the president's analyst

That was one of if not the original weird movies. Dr. Stangelove is another.

Anyone mention The Shining yet?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 9:42 pm

walking into Vanilla Sky an indefinite number of minutes late.

The movie lasting forever, a (?) South American woman breaking the wall of silence and asking me how long it was going to last, me asking her if she’d like to get a cup of coffee

she declining, but I’m still glad I asked

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 9:45 pm

Double Retired wrote:
The movie's sequel, 2010: The Year We Make Contact, is much more straightforward Science Fiction.

And many to this day are still calling on WB & MGM to make the two other books
in the Space Odyssey Quartet into movies; 2061 Odyssey 3 & 3001: The Final Odyssey.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 5:28 am

The one weird quirky movie I'd recommend the most is The Ninth Configuration (1980). Which was written and directed by William Peter Blatty of The Exorcist fame. It's a sequel to The Exorcist in a way, because the astronaut character in it, is the same astronaut demon possessed Regan told "you're gonna die up there".

Kerch
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 6:19 am

Double Retired wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
The long version of "Emperor tomato ketchup".
8O

I just looked it up and 8O indeed. At least A Serbian Film didn't use real kids...

On a lighter note, I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time a couple of weeks ago and indeed it's something. After reading up about it it mostly just seems a lot of simple ideas wrapped up in a needlessly cryptic package. Although it's ambiguity does lead to a lot of interesting interpretations.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 8:25 am

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 3:14 pm

Kerch wrote:
On a lighter note, I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time a couple of weeks ago and indeed it's something. After reading up about it it mostly just seems a lot of simple ideas wrapped up in a needlessly cryptic package. Although it's ambiguity does lead to a lot of interesting interpretations.
I think the book is clearer. For me, the movie was just spectacular pictures that supplemented the book—but didn't stand alone as well.

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
The movie's sequel, 2010: The Year We Make Contact, is much more straightforward Science Fiction.

in the Space Odyssey Quartet into movies; 2061 Odyssey 3 & 3001: The Final Odyssey.
Great idea! :thumright: Though might there be a danger that those movies would seem weird?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 3:26 pm

Kerch wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
8O

I just looked it up and 8O indeed. At least A Serbian Film didn't use real kids...

I own A Serbian Film. Not for kiddies, either.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 8:58 pm

Fnord wrote:

Indeed!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 11:17 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Kerch wrote:
I think the book is clearer. For me, the movie was just spectacular pictures that supplemented the book—but didn't stand alone as well.

Double Retired wrote:
The movie's sequel, 2010: The Year We Make Contact, is much more straightforward Science Fiction.

Great idea! :thumright: Though might there be a danger that those movies would seem weird?

In the early 2000s, Tom Hanks was interested in playing
Frank Poole & maybe directing The Final Odyssey.

However, some recent speculations have surfaced in which some have stated that
George Clooney is interested in not only being the new Dr. Floyd, but also directing Odyssey 3.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 8:21 am

Double Retired wrote:
Kerch wrote:

Double Retired wrote:

George Clooney is interested in not only being the new Dr. Floyd, but also directing Odyssey 3.

I hope that movie happens.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 11:39 am

The two weirdest films I've seen are:

The Big Blue, which is about two free divers who...well I'm not sure what the point of the film is. For them to fight over a woman who loves them both? To show the weird effect free diving has on human brains? I'm not even sure what the ending meant, it was just bizarre.

Crash, by David Cronenberg. About a bunch of people who get sexually turned on by car crashes. I switched this one off because it was so stupid, so I don't know what happened in the end. At least I think I did. I can't remember the ending, anyway.

I see some lists above so I'll add the rest of mine:

Bad Education (by Pedro Almodovar) Supposed to be great but just pretentious. I love his other films though :?

Being John Malkovich. Just bizarre.

Broken Flowers. That one was pointless, the whole plot led nowhere.

Donnie Darko. I can't say I enjoyed this film but it is extremely clever (but very sad)

Eyes Wide Shut. What the heck was that about? Another one supposed to be great but just pretentious.

Jules et Jim. As above.

Memento. Now this is a very clever film, I really enjoyed it but very weird.

Shadow of the Vampire. I really enjoyed this film but who the hell thought of it? Is Willem Dafoe actually a vampire? 8O

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 4:11 pm

cecilfienkelstien wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
Kerch wrote:

Double Retired wrote:

I hope that movie happens.

Which one? Odyssey 3 or The Final Odyssey? :?

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 8:13 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Kerch wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
8O

That was actually on regular YouTube. I gave it a look because people were talking about it on the interweb.

Two other weird + sick movies are The Human Centepied 1 and 2. There's a 3rd version, but the first two were enough for me.

Also Tusk where a mad scientist transforms a man into a walrus.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 8:18 am

Fnord wrote:

Indeed!

That was the first truly weirdest movie I ever saw. I've never been on LSD or whatever, but I felt like it while watching that thing way back then.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 3:17 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Kerch wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
8O

That was actually on regular YouTube. I gave it a look because people were talking about it on the interweb.

Two other weird + sick movies are The Human Centepied 1 and 2. There's a 3rd version, but the first two were enough for me.

Also Tusk where a mad scientist transforms a man into a walrus.

The only one of those I haven't seen yet is the second Centipede movie.