Ran into my ex today, observed a strange behaviour

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KMCIURA
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2022, 8:10 am

I've ran into my ex today.

She has approached me with a friendly attitude (smile, so I guess it was friendly) and wanted to spark conversation, asking who I've been and what am I doing there.

My question is: why?

We have not ended the relationship on good terms. I have moved on, have a different life, it was years ago, but I still have no reason to like her. It is not like the state in which all of it ended has been rewritten with passage of time.

I told her that I do not want to waste time and have more important things to do than talking to her. Which was 100% true, not a bit of lie in it. She became hostile and started shouting that it seems that I haven't changed a bit, then walked off.

Her outburst has not really irritated me, I couldn't care less for her lack of self-control or that she got salty about it. It was her invasion of my personal space and disturbing my peace which made me uncomfortable. I haven't signed up for that.

Why people act like this?

I mean, if relationship (of any kind) has ended on bad terms, with mutual aversion and years (in this case, 8 ) have passed, without any of the parties trying to reach out to another one, it seems pretty clear to me: we do not like each other, that's all. I am fine with not liking someone and knowing that their feeling towards me are the same. It is not like we must interact for some reason (i.e. business), we can live without any form of contact at peace.

Seeking any kind of contact when you accidentally meet seems like ungodly stupid idea to me. I doubt there's anything she could say which would carry any value or relevance in context of my current life. I have nothing important to tell her. In fact, I do not have any business telling her about anything related to my life whatsoever, even something unimportant. So what we should talk about, windy weather? Is it a some kind of internal pressure that NT people feel to acknowledge existence of each other when they meet a person they know?

I have no problems ignoring existence of people who I know but do not care about. I wish that everyone would be the same. That people would have a capacity to simply f*** off and leave me at peace.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2022, 7:04 pm

Why? The primary motivations may vary, but there is one constant in all such encounters:

“Anything you say can and will be used against you by your ex.”

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 2:49 am

KMCIURA wrote:

She has approached me with a friendly attitude (smile, so I guess it was friendly) and wanted to spark conversation, asking who I've been and what am I doing there.

We have not ended the relationship on good terms.

Personally, I think it's usually a good idea to make peace with one's ex and, if possible, end up as friendly acquaintances. No need for frequent contact or close friendship. But I think it's good to be able to be friendly if and when you happen to run into each other.

There are exceptions. For example, if you have reason to fear physical violence from her, or if you have reason to fear that she will actively try to sabotage your life in some way, these might be good reasons to avoid all contact with one's ex.

Do these extreme circumstances apply, in your case? When you say "We have not ended the relationship on good terms," do you mean anything like the above? Or did you and she just turn out to be incompatible?

Under not-so-extreme circumstances, I think it is generally best to make peace -- or at least let go of old resentments.

KMCIURA wrote:
It is not like we must interact for some reason (i.e. business), we can live without any form of contact at peace.

That's fine, at least most of the time. But you do occasionally run into each other, apparently?

KMCIURA wrote:
Seeking any kind of contact when you accidentally meet seems like ungodly stupid idea to me. I doubt there's anything she could say which would carry any value or relevance in context of my current life. I have nothing important to tell her. In fact, I do not have any business telling her about anything related to my life whatsoever, even something unimportant. So what we should talk about, windy weather?

Perhaps you could have just briefly and vaguely answered her question about what you were doing there, without going into detail?

KMCIURA wrote:
Is it a some kind of internal pressure that NT people feel to acknowledge existence of each other when they meet a person they know?

I have no problems ignoring existence of people who I know but do not care about. I wish that everyone would be the same. That people would have a capacity to simply f*** off and leave me at peace.

I think most people (not just NT's) would feel awkward about pointedly ignoring someone they've known for a long time, should they happen to run into that person.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 2:52 am

Fnord wrote:
Why? The primary motivations may vary, but there is one constant in all such encounters:

This has not been my experience, although I can see that this might be an issue if you had an especially nasty breakup or an especially messy divorce.

KMCIURA
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2022, 8:21 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
KMCIURA wrote:

We have not ended the relationship on good terms.

Personally, I think it's usually a good idea to make peace with one's ex and, if possible, end up as friendly acquaintances. No need for frequent contact or close friendship. But I think it's good to be able to be friendly if and when you happen to run into each other.

There are exceptions. For example, if you have reason to fear physical violence from her, or if you have reason to fear that she will actively try to sabotage your life in some way, these might be good reasons to avoid all contact with one's ex.

Do these extreme circumstances apply, in your case? When you say "We have not ended the relationship on good terms," do you mean anything like the above? Or did you and she just turn out to be incompatible?

Under not-so-extreme circumstances, I think it is generally best to make peace -- or at least let go of old resentments.

KMCIURA wrote:
It is not like we must interact for some reason (i.e. business), we can live without any form of contact at peace.

That's fine, at least most of the time. But you do occasionally run into each other, apparently?

KMCIURA wrote:
Seeking any kind of contact when you accidentally meet seems like ungodly stupid idea to me. I doubt there's anything she could say which would carry any value or relevance in context of my current life. I have nothing important to tell her. In fact, I do not have any business telling her about anything related to my life whatsoever, even something unimportant. So what we should talk about, windy weather?

Perhaps you could have just briefly and vaguely answered her question about what you were doing there, without going into detail?

KMCIURA wrote:
Is it a some kind of internal pressure that NT people feel to acknowledge existence of each other when they meet a person they know?

I think most people (not just NT's) would feel awkward about pointedly ignoring someone they've known for a long time, should they happen to run into that person.

Well, I was walking out of the doors of bank. It was pretty obvious that I was doing some arrangements inside, lol. Answering briefly and vaguely? I do not owe her to jump into interaction, let alone making up some stuff that would seem plausible.

Asking how I've been (I do not know why I've written "who" in the first place haha) was most likely dishonest on her end and just a social trope, considering that she didn't care for all these years and didn't care during our split either.

We do not happen to run into each other frequently. This was the first encounter since 8 years. We live (lived?) in different parts of the city. There is no added value for me in "making peace" with her, as she does have zero impact in my "here and now". As a person, she is as irrelevant for me as someone random living in another country. I think, considering how that relationship has ended, a neutrality and treating her like a stranger is fair on my end.

My response was honest, but I knew that it may trigger an emotional reaction on her end. This is why I don't mind that she had an outburst. It was calculated action on my end, too: speaking the truth and at the same time, trying to make sure that if we'll ever meet again she won't try to disturb my peace and will ignore me instead (hopefully). I am simply baffled why she has approached me in the first place and with friendly attitude, in specific.

To give you a context, I'll describe reasons for break-up.

We've been together for few years, but started to drift apart and relationship has been starting to rip at the seams. Basically, her expectations about life and who I should be, have changed and on my end, I found her less and less to be person I've fallen in love for.

The first thing which made everything going downhill was when I refused to leave my dad alone with debts and rent an apartment with her. I've lived with him in our family flat. He was in rough financial position back then, because his job wasn't paying well and was still paying off money he borrowed when my mom got cancer. He spend a lot of money on private healthcare to get her to doctors and diagnosis ASAP (in vain, she had stage IV glioblastoma and haven't lived for long) and worked less hours to take care of her. So debt piled up and took him years to pay off. Plus, he was still paying mortgage. Without my financial help and splitting bills in half, he would not be able to handle all of this alone. I was earning enough to move out and live with her in rented flat, but not enough to do this and help my dad at the same time.

She pretended to understand, but brought up the topic periodically and was telling me that I shouldn't be constrained by my father's financial situation. We argued about it from time to time. This was especially arrogant on her part, because her family has faced a similar situation - her father has died of bone cancer like two years before my mom was diagnosed. If it weren't for support of my girlfriend and her sister, their mother would have some rough times. During the time we've been together, we've went through death of her father and my mother.

Then there was her shift in attitude - she was a quiet girl who enjoyed time alone, together, for majority of our relationship. She didn't mind that I had a very limited social circle and wasn't spontaneous. Then she went to a new job and found friends who influenced her to go in another direction. She started to be more social and wanted me to be the same - to become a popular, spontaneous guy who loves to hang out with people. To become a guy who her female friends would be jealous of. This caused me stress, because out of sudden I was expected to rewrite my personality and she was displeased that I was not who she wanted me to be.

I've tried to get into her new social circle, but to be painfully honest - I've found these people to be idiots. There was nothing we had in common and all they were focused on was partying, drinking, gossiping and interpersonal drama. I couldn't have any more involved, meaningful conversation about any of more interesting and serious subjects. They weren't into things I've liked and vice versa. They were barely reading any books or even anything more ambitious than Cosmopolitan or Men's Health. Had no grasp on politics and had barely any views on it to begin with. A lot of them believed some stupid conspiracy theories and weren't having any deeper understanding of anything they've spoken about. I've tried to approach this in delicate manner and instead of giving them lectures, trying to have an exchange during which I can straighten some facts. But they didn't care about learning anything. Later I realised that they only speak about something more interesting to appear more intelligent than they are, but actually do not care about the subject itself at all.

Most of them were also super insecure about their educational background, too - they weren't liking when I've brought up anything related to my time spent going to university and were irritated when I was using more complex vocabulary ("big words"), taking it as a sign that I want to show-off. But this is how I speak, it just is. Plus, casual racism and homophobia was a thing among them.

Out of sudden I've found myself accompanying my girlfriend in going clubbing with people I had no connection or mutual understanding with. It always ended up in some kind of friction, no matter how hard I've tried. When they got drunk, especially. On every such occasion, I've felt like dying inside a little, thinking "what am I doing here, with these primitive fools?".

At one point I've told her that I trust her to not cheat on me and that she can go out with them by herself and I am fine with that. Of course they have started to tell her that she should dump me. She was accusing me that I do not care about her because I am not there for her and tried to get under my skin by asking what kind of man I am if she cannot lead a "normal" life with me. At one point she accused me of cheating on her when she is going out, because someone apparently saw me kissing another girl (which was a lie). After that, at one point when we had an argument, she has told me that it is a pity that I haven't banged other woman behind her back, because it would at least be a kind of a proof that I am a real man.

I knew that end is coming. Soon after, she broke up with me in a rather cruel and disrespectful way - wrote hateful messages via facebook. No guts to say things to my face. After that, all of the contact has been cut off. I was so disgusted by her that I've gathered all things she gave me, photographs, souvenirs and so on, put them in a box, brought it to a shop she worked in and handed it to one of her friends she worked with.

8 years have passed. From my perspective, there was no improvement in relations between two of us since then. the fac that she most likely cooled off to some degree (but not enough, as evident by her reaction) doesn't change the fact that she has never said sorry. One does not have a privilege of acting like nothing happened after they've caused such s***storm.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 12:29 pm

KMCIURA wrote:
Well, I was walking out of the doors of bank.

Given that detail, which you didn't mention in your previous message, I can see that a question like "what am I doing there" might seem unduly nosy.

Perhaps she meant to ask, more generally, why you were in that particular neighborhood?

Do you normally go to the bank, and/or do your shopping, etc., in that particular neighborhood? If so, has that always been the case, or is it a new development since the breakup? Or do you usually do your shopping, banking, etc. elsewhere, and only occasionally go to that particular neighborhood?

Perhaps she herself might have recently moved into that neighborhood? If so, perhaps she wanted to get a feel for how likely it was that you and she would run into each other again?

KMCIURA wrote:
I knew that end is coming. Soon after, she broke up with me in a rather cruel and disrespectful way - wrote hateful messages via facebook.

Hopefully these hateful messages were private, at least? Hopefully they weren't something a prospective future employer of yours could find via Google?

KMCIURA wrote:
No guts to say things to my face. After that, all of the contact has been cut off. I was so disgusted by her that I've gathered all things she gave me, photographs, souvenirs and so on, put them in a box, brought it to a shop she worked in and handed it to one of her friends she worked with.

Assuming she didn't do anything to endanger your future ability to find jobs, housing, etc., or cause any other longterm damage to your life -- and assuming, likewise, that you didn't badmouth her to her boss when you returned her stuff -- then what you've described so far sounds to me like an angry breakup over major incompatibilities, but not an outright dangerous situation.

KMCIURA wrote:
8 years have passed. From my perspective, there was no improvement in relations between two of us since then. the fac that she most likely cooled off to some degree (but not enough, as evident by her reaction) doesn't change the fact that she has never said sorry. One does not have a privilege of acting like nothing happened after they've caused such s***storm.

When people have an angry breakup, they both tend to feel that they are owed an apology by the other person and that they themselves don't need to be the first to apologize. So it's unrealistic to expect that the first thing out of her mouth would be an apology.

KMCIURA
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2022, 5:18 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
KMCIURA wrote:
Well, I was walking out of the doors of bank.

Given that detail, which you didn't mention in your previous message, I can see that a question like "what am I doing there" might seem unduly nosy.

Perhaps she meant to ask, more generally, why you were in that particular neighborhood?

Do you normally go to the bank, and/or do your shopping, etc., in that particular neighborhood? If so, has that always been the case, or is it a new development since the breakup? Or do you usually do your shopping, banking, etc. elsewhere, and only occasionally go to that particular neighborhood?

Perhaps she herself might have recently moved into that neighborhood? If so, perhaps she wanted to get a feel for how likely it was that you and she would run into each other again?

KMCIURA wrote:
I knew that end is coming. Soon after, she broke up with me in a rather cruel and disrespectful way - wrote hateful messages via facebook.

Hopefully these hateful messages were private, at least? Hopefully they weren't something a prospective future employer of yours could find via Google?

KMCIURA wrote:
No guts to say things to my face. After that, all of the contact has been cut off. I was so disgusted by her that I've gathered all things she gave me, photographs, souvenirs and so on, put them in a box, brought it to a shop she worked in and handed it to one of her friends she worked with.

Assuming she didn't do anything to endanger your future ability to find jobs, housing, etc., or cause any other longterm damage to your life -- and assuming, likewise, that you didn't badmouth her to her boss when you returned her stuff -- then what you've described so far sounds to me like an angry breakup over major incompatibilities, but not an outright dangerous situation.

KMCIURA wrote:

When people have an angry breakup, they both tend to feel that they are owed an apology by the other person and that they themselves don't need to be the first to apologize. So it's unrealistic to expect that the first thing out of her mouth would be an apology.

1) Well, I've been living in this district my whole life. The bank is located less than 1km from old flat. New flat I live in is less than 2km from the old one. I've grew up, went to school, lived and live in this part of the city. It would be more sensible for me to ask that question to her given the situation, seeing that she lived in a different part of the town when we were together. If she moved in there, then she should fully know that it is highly probable that she'll meet me somewhere at random - even if I would move far away, there would always be a possibility of me visiting my dad.

Most likely it was a moronic attempt at sparking conversation. Nonetheless, I still claim it was completely unnecessary. And to point this out again - I was irritated by the fact she has approached me like we are friends out of sudden and disturbed my peace by asking questions outright, not by what questions they were. She could ask me what my shoe size is and I would feel about it the same way.

2) Messages were private, they were send via what is currently known as messenger. 8 years ago it was more integrated into Facebook and not a separate app if I recall correctly. Out of curiosity - why do you think that hateful messages which I was recipient of would matter for my prospective employer? Highly unlikely scenario. "Oh, a girl went angry chihuahua once on this guy - no, we are not hiring him" :lol: :lol: :lol:

3) I haven't been badmouthing her to her employer. I am not interested in such games, they are good for emotionally unstable teenagers. When we have broken up, I had multiple, more efficient ways of causing her trouble, laid bare in front of me. When you are with someone for few years, you can learn about their vulnerabilities and get to know what would hurt them most. Like to say that when you give someone key to your heart, you are also giving them a key to your doom. I didn't seek revenge, though. I simply wanted to be done with her, pick up the pieces and move on, rather than stirring more drama. Life's not a Taylor Swift's song, ffs.

4) I've never claimed that breakup or the recent meeting were dangerous situations. They were not. Breakup was ...intense. The situation from yesterday was no threat, it was simply something unwanted.

5)

Mona Pereth wrote:

Well, I've never wanted an apology. What she did was hurtful at the time, but by ending things the way she did, she also completely lost any relevance in my life. A prospect of apology coming from her means to me as much as someone who bullied me at school trying to apologise for it 20 years later.

I mean, what's the deal? You were an as*hole, so what? Does it bother you that someone may feel bad about you? Why? What is even the point? Just get over it, you are not entitled to redemption arc of any kind.

I've once read a good article about psychology of apologising. To sum it up - people quite often want to apologise because they feel the inner pressure to do so and want to get rid of this feeling. Not because they genuinely care about the person they've hurt. It is a selfish pursuit of bringing themselves a peace of mind. Of being able to feel good about themselves.

Ultimately, it is up to those who they've hurt to decide if they deserve a chance to explain themselves and say sorry. And even if answer is yes, the apology can still be rejected and no forgiveness given. They are not entitled to it by default. All of us may face a situation in which we will be villains for someone else and there won't be forgiveness. One needs to learn to live with it and leave the other person alone.

If someone who hurt me feels bad about themselves because of it, I see this as a bonus. I won't accept apology I do not want or need just to make them feel better. They can drink themselves to death over it, for all I care. It is their problem, not mine. I am not religious to see forgiveness, no matter what, as a virtue.

6) As for the first thing that should came out of her mouth, if she really needed to approach me? Simple:

"Hi. Can you give me a moment? Can we talk?" - see? This approach is respectful and gives the other party an open option to say "no". It is humble way of approaching the situation. It shows that person who's asking want to handle this in delicate manner and is prepared to be rejected.

It is another thing when she approaches me, out of the blue, with a smile like we are best friends on face of earth and start asking how have I been and what am I doing here. It is intrusion, to put it simply. For less assertive people, it is extremely hard to cut such conversation short. It is rude. It shows that person who's asking doesn't take feelings of another party into account and does not see their time as valuable.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 8:10 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Fnord wrote:

This has not been my experience, although I can see that this might be an issue if you had an especially nasty breakup or an especially messy divorce.
This has been my experience, as well as that of others. As an example, my ex “accidentally” bumped into me (literally) while I was buying a lottery ticket. A few days later, my employer took me aside to suggest a counselor for my “gambling problem”, which he had heard about through a mutual friend of my ex.

Another time, I asked a mall cop where I could find a certain store, and she was kind enough to walk me there. Had I known my ex was in the mall at that time, I would have left and come back the next day, because my lawyer called me that night to ask about my “arrest” earlier that day.

So, while it may not always be true that “Anything you say or do can and will be used against you by your ex”, one should keep that idea in mind when anywhere their ex’s could also be.

KMCIURA
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2022, 1:35 am

Fnord wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Fnord wrote:

This has been my experience, as well as that of others. As an example, my ex “accidentally” bumped into me (literally) while I was buying a lottery ticket. A few days later, my employer took me aside to suggest a counselor for my “gambling problem”, which he had heard about through a mutual friend of my ex.

Another time, I asked a mall cop where I could find a certain store, and she was kind enough to walk me there. Had I known my ex was in the mall at that time, I would have left and come back the next day, because my lawyer called me that night to ask about my “arrest” earlier that day.

So, while it may not always be true that “Anything you say or do can and will be used against you by your ex”, one should keep that idea in mind when anywhere their ex’s could also be.

Not my personal experience, but my dad went through something more extreme. His ex tried to derail his new relationship, even though it has started months after he split up with her. She went as far as stalking his new girlfriend. It ended up with police being involved and charges pressed.

What puzzles me in your case is why your ex has been making accusations based on real events. Like, did they took photographs as evidence, or what? If they did not, what stopped them from coming up with something more serious?

BTW it seems that both your employer and lawyer were kind of a sh***y people to jumping into conclusions based on gossip, without asking you if they were true first.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 5:15 am

My ex has (or had) a charismatic personality that lent massive credence to her lies . . . including our wedding vows. She never needed material evidence to support her claims, as she could turn her tears on and off at will (for example). She was (is) manipulative, spiteful, and vindictive, returning the least social slight with massive rumor campaigns and insults.

The lawyer was doing his job by checking with me what he had been told, while my (now ex-) employer was just being a jerk.

Looking back, my ex may have had the same narcissistic and/or bipolar disorders as my father. She also drank and abused prescription drugs.

I am glad to be rid of her.

KMCIURA
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2022, 1:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
My ex has (or had) a charismatic personality that lent massive credence to her lies . . . including our wedding vows. She never needed material evidence to support her claims, as she could turn her tears on and off at will (for example). She was (is) manipulative, spiteful, and vindictive, returning the least social slight with massive rumor campaigns and insults.

The lawyer was doing his job by checking with me what he had been told, while my (now ex-) employer was just being a jerk.

Looking back, my ex may have had the same narcissistic and/or bipolar disorders as my father. She also drank and abused prescription drugs.

I am glad to be rid of her.

She wasn't very smart even though she had all these qualities. If she would like to really make your life miserable, she could accuse you of raping, beating, molesting her or being a pedo or involved in organised crime, whatever. Easy enough to fabricate the evidence when there's word vs word case. I.e. waiting for the moment when you are home alone, writing down the timeframe, then inducing self-harm and reporting to police that you've assaulted her. No alibi, so serious problem to debunk these claims for you. Especially given that you are a man and men are responsible for majority of domestic violence, so courts tend to lean towards believing women more often than not.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 1:33 pm

I feel you.
My ex comes around knocking on my door now and then, yelling my name, knocking on the windows.
We don't have a trespassing law here, but I'm pretty sure what she's doing is illegal.
But I don't want to talk with her or get engaged in a legal matter with attorneys and crap. I just want her to leave me alone, so I ignore her.

/Mats

KMCIURA
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2022, 2:59 pm

mohsart wrote:
I feel you.
My ex comes around knocking on my door now and then, yelling my name, knocking on the windows.
We don't have a trespassing law here, but I'm pretty sure what she's doing is illegal.
But I don't want to talk with her or get engaged in a legal matter with attorneys and crap. I just want her to leave me alone, so I ignore her.

/Mats

Doesn't this qualify as stalking? I mean:

https://eige.europa.eu/gender-based-vio ... n-stalking

Criminal acts which are repeated by the same perpetrator against the same victim. The crimes must aim at violating the integrity of the victim and must be one of the following: (...) or disrespect to prohibition of visits act.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 4:07 pm

Perhaps, or could be "egenmäktigt förfarande" (something like "doing something without gain to yourself, but something that is disturbing to the other party"). Typically, that would be like someone goes into your garden and mowes the lawn for you, or closes a door that you may have forgotten to close or maybe left open by purpose...

/Mats

KMCIURA
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2022, 6:17 pm

mohsart wrote:
Perhaps, or could be "egenmäktigt förfarande" (something like "doing something without gain to yourself, but something that is disturbing to the other party"). Typically, that would be like someone goes into your garden and mowes the lawn for you, or closes a door that you may have forgotten to close or maybe left open by purpose...

/Mats

If she is disturbing you, I would try to use this as leverage when speaking with authorities. Perhaps she could even be given restraining order? I mean, if you are already on bad terms with her, why not nuke her from orbit with the most extreme option available. :)

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 7:08 pm

Sure, but I just want her to leave me alone.
Anyways, my story was not meant to vertake this thread, I just wanted to say that I in ways understand your situation.

/Mats