Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2022, 3:10 pm

I've recently been reading the following articles about the feminist movement and its recent history:

- How feminists took on the mainstream media and won by Kate Groetzinger, Quartz, April 5, 2016.

- The waves of feminism, and why people keep fighting over them, explained by Constance Grady, Vox, Jul 20, 2018.

I'll post some comments later, based on my own experiences and previous study of the history of feminism.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 10:36 am

Now that I slammed into the glass ceiling and the oppression of women is so obvious to me, I can't believe we all (including all human beings) aren't screaming from the roof tops for transformational and quick action. But I know that "radicalism" is not appreciated. Gosh darn trying to "regulate" everything in an NT world.

Timeflyer
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 May 2022, 10:07 am

With the leak of Supreme Court's probable destruction of Roe v. Wade, we better witness a new tidal wave of feminism in U.S. It's been open-season on women's rights since forever, and we need to stay vigilant and VOTE. Some recent books to inform on U.S. women's history:

The Man Who Hated Women: Sex, Censorship and Civil Liberties in the Gilded Age, by Amy Sohn.
The Trials of Nina McCall: Sex, Surveillance and the Decades-Long Government Plan to Imprison "Promiscuous Women" by Scott W. Stern.
You're the Only One I've Told: the Stories Behind Abortion, by Dr. Meera Shah.
The Woman They Could Not Silence: One Woman; Her Incredible Fight for Freedom and the Men Who Tried to Make Her Disappear, by Kate Moore.

I have a reading disorder--can't stop.

Sigi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 May 2022, 2:05 pm

I feel bad for the women in the US, feels like they are going backwards. And that's nothing compared to what women are dealing with in Afghanistan and other places. All very sad.

In the 20th century in Ireland, women had to give up work when they got married and couldn't divorce. Contraception was also banned and so was abortion in every case except danger to the mothers life until a few years ago. Rape in marriage wasn't a crime for a long time either.

Scary to think how recent that all was. And how some people would like to go back to it.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 6:56 pm

Sigi wrote:
I feel bad for the women in the US, feels like they are going backwards. And that's nothing compared to what women are dealing with in Afghanistan and other places. All very sad.

In the 20th century in Ireland, women had to give up work when they got married and couldn't divorce. Contraception was also banned and so was abortion in every case except danger to the mothers life until a few years ago. Rape in marriage wasn't a crime for a long time either.

Scary to think how recent that all was. And how some people would like to go back to it.

I don’t think we are going backwards so much as remaining stagnant. I suspect that this is related to high levels of religiosity.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 8:07 pm

I think much of the reason people voted for Trump was because in both 2016 and 2020, the Dems had a woman (in the case of 2020, a woman of color) as either the presidential or VP nominee.

The MAGA crowd was determined not to let that happen. They are threatened by any woman who doesn't follow the demure 1950s homemaker path.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2022, 10:28 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
..I don’t think we are going backwards so much as remaining stagnant. I suspect that this is related to high levels of religiosity.

My company went predominantly BACKWARDS. Its merger was during the previous presidential term and some women believe it gave "permission" for poorer behavior on the part of the old boys' club as power shifted. Many women were demoted and our paychecks cut (further widening the gap to our male peers); a disproportionate number of female and minority leadership were let go or left (due to lack of "fit"). Previously we had had over 10% women which were half-way respected - by the time I left the respect was not even a quarter's worth and we were down to 2% women. Of course there were other conditions, but generally it was a step BACKWARDS. To say I was disappointed is an understatement.