Page 1 of 60 [ 951 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 60  Next

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 5:29 am

It seems like we should have a thread to vent about pet peeves.

I can't stand the terms hubby and wifey. It's like adult baby talk to me. Likewise the husband; the wife; the boyfriend; the girlfriend. As in, "The girlfriend's coming over for dinner." Makes you sound like some appliance model about to obsolesce.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 8:02 am

I hate threads about pet peeves.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 12:42 am

When people use "way too much" punctuation: too many "quotation marks" or ..... "ellipses" in their writing.

When people don't answer the OP.

Junk mail that has my name and address on every page, meaning I have to rip it in pieces before recycling.

When YouTube videos don't have a date on them.

When online news stories don't have a date on them.

When I have music playing on my laptop and I can't figure out what tab it's coming from.

When men answer questions about Gynaecology, on the Women's Forum.

When that advice is presumptuous, misinformed, sexually-exploitative, or dangerous to women's bodies.

Cold butter.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 5:13 am

Quote:
When people use "way too much" punctuation: too many "quotation marks" or ..... "ellipses" in their writing.

Lol this annoys me too.

When people don't read your OP then ask you questions that you have already answered in the OP, so you have to repeat yourself. (If the OP is too long then don't ask questions that you think might be already mentioned in the OP, just skip the whole thread instead, or just skim read).

Whenever the words lack of empathy is used in the same sentence as autism.

When people on WP ask if a normal human trait is "an Aspie thing".

Those "NT disorder" blogs that basically overstereotype NTs and are totally annoying and not funny.

Political correctness.

People that apply to YouTube comments with abbreviations that you have no idea what they stand for.

People that criticise you for not using Google when asking a question on a forum or Facebook. Sometimes Google is useless or we just want to seek more personal answers and share our feelings.

Netflix and Amazon.

People going sshh.

People telling me to stop moaning when I'm just expressing my feelings in the most matter of fact way possible.

People reminding me that I'm an adult when I know that already.

When people on WP conclude something I said with having autism, like if I say something that someone else thought was immature (their opinion only) they write "oh, that's immature...wait, immaturity is a part of autism, so yeah I suppose that explains it" or something like that.

When people on WP assume I am socially clueless or go out flapping my hands, just because I'm on the spectrum.

People telling me to ignore stuff. How do you consciously ignore something that bothers you too much?

Cliches. Just stop with the cliches.

When people abruptly interrupt mid-sentence about a completely different subject (yes, some NTs actually have this trait).

Double standards.

Animal rights being put second after human rights.

Lockdowns.

Typos.

People that are too positive.

People that joke when you're really not in the mood.

People that find sex jokes really funny.

People that smoke yet are frightened of catching covid.

The way NTs value getting drunk.

Kafkatraps.

Life's full of annoying pet peeves. I could go on and on.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 5:28 am

Joe90 wrote:
When people on WP conclude something I said with having autism, like if I say something that someone else thought was immature (their opinion only) they write "oh, that's immature...wait, immaturity is a part of autism, so yeah I suppose that explains it" or something like that.

Yeah, I don't really get that one. Some of us got pushed out of the house and have to keep jobs, or be homeless. No time to be immature.

Tyla
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Apr 2022, 10:43 am

What pet peeves do you know that sound like a peeves in one language and like an offence in another?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 11:20 am

People complaining about "political correctness" as an excuse to not learn anything new and hold on to hateful habits.

Cis people acting as if they get to dictate what trans people can and can't do, and what their experiences are. Bonus points if they're from older generations and act as if trans people magically didn't exist their whole lives (never even considering the fact that they just never really heard about them until recently).

People not training their dogs properly, and casually mentioning how untrained their dog is as if they find it funny, usually while the dog is doing something bad/annoying.

Autistic people judging other autistic people for not being as independent as they are or not being able to mask as well.

Allistic people getting angry at me for not being able to magically just mask all of my traits and act completely allistic for their "comfort".

People getting their kids small pets like fish, rodents, reptiles, etc. and then letting their like, 6 year old blatantly neglect it because they can't be arsed to spend 1 hour Googling it's needs or help the kid take care of it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 11:26 am

Where I live it's against the law for anyone under age 16 to own a pet. Even a goldfish. ^

More peeves:

- People who show up at your house unexpectedly and knock / ring doorbells to say hello (I won't answer)
- Those people who try to chase you with perfume in department stores
- When weather forecasters think everyone loves sunny days and hates cloudy or rainy days
- When people hype about keeping DST year-round without ever consulting autistics (or logic)
- When friends go in your house without permission when you aren't home, and let your indoor cat outside
- When they try to pay you tons of guilt money so you'll be their friend

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 12:39 pm

People sitting on kitchen counters.
Cutting or cleaning finger nails at dining table.
Not covering mouth when coughing or sneezing.
Belching loudly and not covering mouth and saying excuse me.
People that borrow books and never return them.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 1:40 pm

People who plan to visit you but change their minds about 346 times about exactly when they're coming to visit you.(my brother and sil)

People who think being late is perfectly okay because the whole world will stop and wait, just for them. :roll:

People who show up much earlier than they said they would while you're still getting ready or busy with something else.

Last-minute changes to plans (if it's because of illness or bad weather, then it's acceptable).

Asking someone what they think about something and instead of answering they go "what do *you* think?"

People who overanalyze things I harmlessly enjoy, like Disney animation or classic children's stories, and then go on about how eeevil they are and that no one should be allowed to see them. And that's just the people who *don't* think they're satanic. :twisted:

People who say nasty things about cats, that cats are demonic and evil, and how much they'd love to abuse them, but heaven forbid you criticize anything about a dog.

Littering.

Vandalism.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 3:37 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Littering.

That's a huge one for me. Especially seeing people throw trash out of car windows.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 3:38 pm

Misslizard wrote:
People that borrow books and never return them.

Yes. Demons.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2022, 5:09 pm

Quote:
People who say nasty things about cats, that cats are demonic and evil, and how much they'd love to abuse them, but heaven forbid you criticize anything about a dog.

I hate this too. As a cat-lover I still say nice things about dogs because I know some people love them and I'd never want to see one hurt or killed.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2022, 3:36 am

I keep getting adopted by cats

I'm the cat lady apparently lol

got a local grey tabby and a ginger that keep trying to move in...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2022, 11:38 pm

People that are paranoid that your home is going to get burgled if you announce on Facebook that you're going on vacation.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2022, 3:34 am

Internet acronyms and abbreviations.

Oscar Meyer Lansky