Should we keep living with this fear of the unknown ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2022, 9:40 am

As I mentioned before, I get sick of hearing from some people about ''What if this happens ?'' in terms of the virus mutating into something worse which may or may never happen. I seem to think its a bit like we should be on our guard constantly in case an asteroid hits us or a mega earthquake happens or a super storm hits us which very rarely, remotely and hardly ever happens and we never lived our lives in fear about those things before the pandemic and we just ignored them.

ScarletShark
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 12:42 am

I say we should just go out and live and stop worrying about things that we can’t control. :D

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 2:35 am

chris1989 wrote:
... from some people about ''What if this happens ?'' in terms of the virus mutating into something worse which may or may never happen.

There is a certain percentage of the human population who have obsession-level "what if" thoughts about many things in life.
Some people do have a disorder that they would rather not have but that's what life gave them.
For some people it is a symptom of anxiety either specific or general.

The rest of the bunch, I dunno what their thing is that leads to "what if" thoughts consuming so much of their attention span.
Maybe the root is fear.
Maybe the root is fear of having only partial control.
Maybe the root is fear of having zero control.
Maybe a sense of having control is a big security thing for them.
Maybe the sense of control they feel like they have or are seeking to have, is, always has been, and always will be, an illusion a mirage, smoke and mirrors, an outright lie.
But the having of even that illusion meets a need.
And when that need is met, even if by a lie, they can relax and be happy.

I've got enough of a creative mind that I can invent endless streams of what ifs.
And especially kind of meanly when frustrated with someone who simply refuses to let go of constant what ifs.
As in, You want what ifs? Okay then, swallow this raging flood of realistically grounded what ifs I am now going to shove in your face ...
Yeah, my doing of that leaned just a little bit toward the mean side of things.

I have no documentation to provide of a human behavior thing which I have observed a number of times:
there seem to be people who have a deep sense of being adrift and unanchored unless they have something to be afraid of.
My mother was the first person I recall becoming aware of that in.
She was intelligent, scientific, she was a health care provider, a dietitian, but still she had that fear thing.
I couldn't believe how she could have such a so very bizarre, to me at least, belief/behavior.
Then I began to notice others with it.
And if nothing to be afraid of presented itself they would go create something to be afraid of
Odd.
Very odd.

Sure, there are things I fear.
Oh well, such is life.
There is only one of me and I can only do so many things at a time.
So the fewer what ifs I do then the more other stuff I can do.
And as my physical health has gradually declined through the years and decades it has left me literally not having enough extra physical and mental energy to consume any on what ifs.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 2:57 am

Quote:
Should we keep living with this fear of the unknown ?

:chin:
Yes... 8)

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 9:29 am

ScarletShark wrote:
I say we should just go out and live and stop worrying about things that we can’t control. :D

Exactly, I just seem to think that some scientists and other medical experts are quite obsessed with the fact that we can't control this virus and just want to keep reminding us it because of their concerns of a worse new variant which may or not emerge even though viruses I've heard become less deadly as they mutate. We never went about worrying about other natural things that out of our control before all this such as the weather, or a volcano erupting and so on. So why do they keep telling us ?