Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

LittleSnowyOne
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Feb 2022, 1:38 am

I've been having trouble finding a job that pays enough for me to be able to move out of my parents' house.

I got my first job (daycare) out of college, but it was part-time and I was eventually laid off before I could figure out how to file for workman's comp (I sustained a back injury, which developed into arthritis of the lower spine).

The second job was at another daycare, but I only made $11/hr AND the COVID pandemic had me furloughed for over a year.

I am now working at my third job at a senior living home. I love the seniors, but management loves to fire people and I'm constantly under stress. I have never been written up before, but management recently gave me a "final writeup" because I supposedly didn't change a resident who had soiled her diaper when I DID change her an hour before my shift ended. They accused me of neglecting residents. The person who falsely reported me has since been fired for unrelated issues, but now I'm in danger of losing my job over falsehoods.

Management plays favorites. There was one lady who was fired for allegedly assaulting a resident, but a man who allegedly sexually harassed a resident just got a slap on the wrist. He is still employed, and he only does the bare minimum, so it's not like he's a good employee or anything.

I am also constantly getting calls from management trying to get me to work on my weekends.

This stress is definitely NOT worth $11.50/hr, and my blood pressure has been dangerously high lately.

The thing is, despite having a college degree and NOT having a criminal record, I can't seem to get a job that pays a living wage. I apply to jobs like crazy, but I'm either rejected or ignored. I want to give up, but at the same time, I know I can't keep living with my parents...

What kind of jobs are out there that are entry-level but pay decently? I know some grocery stores pay good money, but Target refuses to hire me for some reason.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 1:41 am

I work at an adult day program. Of course, the pay is not great in this field, but if you have a degree you will do better than $11/hour. Plus no weekends. And you already have experience in a similar field. I don't know if it's what you're really looking for, but it might be worth looking into.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 1:55 am

LittleSnowyOne wrote:
. . . What kind of jobs are out there that are entry-level but pay decently? . . .
What degree did you earn?

What is your skill set?

LittleSnowyOne
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Feb 2022, 2:03 am

My degree is in education, but I hated daycare, so I don't want to teach anymore.

I mainly have skills in caregiving/respite care. I'm also good at proofreading and detail-oriented tasks.

I would go into web design or something similar, but I'm too broke to afford another degree.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 2:07 am

Have you considered freelance tutoring?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 9:43 am

Working at Costco gives one a living wage, and decent benefits, and fairly fair working conditions.

Perhaps you should go for your LPN or RN?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2022, 3:41 pm

LittleSnowyOne wrote:
. . . I know some grocery stores pay good money, but Target refuses to hire me for some reason.

Do they use an online psychology test and do they ask your reaction to the statement:

“Most employees have taken something from work at one time or another.”

In their Universe, the only correct reaction is STRONGLY DISAGREE.

Because if a person thinks employee theft is relatively common, they themselves might be more likely to steal. And that’s the company’s thinking. They might even ask:

“Most people have been angry enough to hit someone.”

“STRONGLY DISAGREE.”

I mean, the obvious factually correct answer is, Yes. Of course, most people have been angry enough to hit someone. They’re probably doing good if they haven’t. Especially if we’re talking before age 18.

But again, the company is taking this very naive psychology that if you believe the world is a somewhat violent place, you yourself are more likely to be violent.

Again, in their Universe, only correct answer is, “STRONGLY DISAGREE.”

And, “VERY STRONGLY DISAGREE” if that’s an option, all the way to that side of the choice scale.

This is the company’s clumsy way to “handle” the issue of workplace violence.

========

I have not worked at Target, but have worked at three or four similar places. And I’ve gotten pretty good at these tests! :jester:

Kt.Kpop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2022, 9:08 pm

LittleSnowyOne wrote:
My degree is in education, but I hated daycare, so I don't want to teach anymore. I mainly have skills in caregiving/respite care. I'm also good at proofreading and detail-oriented tasks.

Not sure where you live, but here are some suggestions:

Working as a classroom assistant or activities planner at a school for autistic students. EasterSeals, Goodwill, UCP, Lutheran Family Services, or not for profits.

Working at a business that employees disabled people. They need people to set up jobs and supervise the workers. Yes, its entry level, and great for detail oriented people.

Home care. I used to do that... go to elderly or disabled peoples homes and do basic cleaning, laundry, maybe take grocery shopping. You set your schedule and work as much or as little as you want.

Nursing homes. Homes for disabled. In my area, agencies need caregivers to attend to people in wheelchairs with basic eating and bathing.

Retail: Kohls, Macys, JC Penneys, Walmart.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2022, 4:42 pm

Maybe find courses that will help you move up the management ladder. Still work in the care industry, but in a more secure position in the pecking order.