Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Quirk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2007, 10:27 am

I get to go once a year. About 3-4 hours north of Toronto is the town of Tobermory where Fathom Five National Marine Park is located (http://www.pc.gc.ca/voyage-travel/pv-vp ... ge17_E.asp). There are dozens of shipwrecks from 19th century wooden schooners to some recently sunk passenger ships. I'm very excited to be going back in a few weeks.

I've dived in the Meditteranean, Pacific, Caribbean and Indian Ocean. I find it a surreal and relaxing experience. I think i's great for aspies who want to shut out extra 'unnecessary' stimuli - all you can hear is the sound of your own breathing. The sensation of floating in an alternate world is one not to be missed.

Any other divers out there?

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 1:11 pm

Due to my Autism, breathing problems and Savant Syndrom i can`t go
scubba diving. However i can go snorkeling and enjoy it a lot. [Especially
when i find crystal and cool seaweed formations underwater.

Quirk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2007, 10:44 am

Not a very popular activity among aspies I see. I'll just shut up now.

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

04 Aug 2007, 8:36 am

Quirk wrote:
Not a very popular activity among aspies I see. I'll just shut up now.

I think many aspies would love scuba diving if given the opportunity. However the cost of the gear and travel to good dive spots is probably beyond the means of most.

I got to dive a few years ago in Bloody Bay, Jamaica. Our resort had a one-day class to teach the basics, then they took us diving on a coral reef about 1/4 mile offshore. Incredible experience! I loved hanging out with all the beautiful fish and the different corals. The water was so clear we could see the boat floating "in the air" 30 feet above us. I loved it. If I ever go back I will definitely get my open water certification.

sodarktheshadows
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2007, 3:08 pm

i haven't been diving in a few years, but i do remember what a sense of freedom it can give one...i still remember my lessons in the pool, and swimming back and forth across the pool, feeling like...well, words cannot describe it, really. it was just awsome. sadly, i never really kept up with it, just never really found the time...and it's a shame seeing as i live so close to a lake and all...
we drove to tobermory once....just not for diving, though i've heard from many that it is a great place for it. i always wanted to get certified for wreck diving, thought it would be kinda neat, but then realized i'd probably have a panic attack if i got inside one (i have some issues with some things underwater...long story) but maybe someday...

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 4:35 pm

I learned to scuba dive in West Texas.... no open water

Our 'open water' dive was the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, New Mexico.

I went from that to 'College of Oceaneering' in Wilmington, CA (L.A.'s harbor), thinking I'd use my British passport to get a job as a hard-hat diver in the North Sea!

I worked for a short while out in the Gulf of Mexico... not as a diver though... as a tender.

Sometime after that, my wife and I decided to go snorkeling in Monterey Bay (her family is from Monterey, CA).
I didn't get far before I got sick and I've never been diving or snorkeling again. :wink:

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 5:13 pm

Water is ONE of my many obsessions ! !

I love snorkelling in warmer seas , of course :)

I have avoided the temptation of scuba diving simply because I just KNOW that I would get addicted to it and it is a fairly expensive option.

The same appies to motor bikes , another thing I have avoided as I realise that I would WANT one ! !

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 5:39 pm

Zincubus wrote:
Water is ONE of my many obsessions ! !

I love snorkelling in warmer seas , of course :)

I have avoided the temptation of scuba diving simply because I just KNOW that I would get addicted to it and it is a fairly expensive option.

The same appies to motor bikes , another thing I have avoided as I realise that I would WANT one ! !

How about this?....
AIDA - International Breath-Hold Diving