Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2022, 9:59 am

Coroner warns of loss of compassion at Norfolk and Suffolk crisis unit

Quote:
A culture of "bullying" within a team meant to support people in crisis led to the belief that some suicides were "inevitable", a coroner has warned.

Theo Brennan-Hulme was found at the University of East Anglia on 12 March 2019 after "inadequate" assessments by Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust (NSFT), the coroner said.

In her prevention of future deaths report following the inquest into Mr Brennan Hulme's death, Mrs Lake said: "Evidence was heard of a historic culture of bullying and harassment within the Crisis Resolution Home Treatment Team which has led to a loss of compassion in some instances with the view that some suicides are "inevitable" and some reluctance to recognise when cases should be referred to the Team.

Mr Brennan-Hulme, 21, from Stoke-on-Trent, had Asperger's syndrome - a form of autism - and suffered from anxiety attacks, as well as having a history of self-harm and suicidal thoughts.

He had sought the help of the university's wellbeing service and liaised with his academic adviser during his induction week in September 2018, the coroner said.

After he attended Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital's accident and emergency department, he was referred to the NHS mental health service, but appointments were cancelled due to staff shortages, the coroner said in her report.

She said at no point during an emergency assessment on 28 February had reasonable adjustments been made to take into account Mr Brennan-Hulme's diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2022, 7:28 am

utterly horrifying

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2022, 8:08 am

I've experienced this sort of protocol before.

In their words said to me: "We only focus on the mental health." which I find to be ignorant when (for me anyway) my Autism is directly connected to and a cause of my mental health issues.

This was in an area I previously resided in before moving out.

"And I've embraced the calamity, with a detachment and a passive disinterest."

"I hear voices...But I ignore them and just carry on killing."