High school team’s season cancelled - racist incidents

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2022, 5:24 pm

Coach quits, team’s season canceled after racist ‘monkey’ note sent to high school player

Quote:
A girls basketball player found an ugly, anononymous note in her gym bag

A Minnesota high school basketball coach has resigned, and a team canceled the rest of its season after a player found a racist note in her gym bag.

KSTP-TV reported the note said, “Get off our team, monkey,” with “monkey” underlined twice.

Demondi Johnson, the girls’ coach at Prior Lake High School, announced on Twitter February 23 he would step down.

I will never sit down to racism and will always stand up for those who look like me,” Johnson said. “I hope that those involved can be educated, be held accountable, heal their hearts of hatred, and learn to love those who look different from them.”

The Prior Lake incident marks the latest high-profile racist incident at a Minnesota high school in just over a week.

On February 15, Andrew Ewald, the athletic director at St. Louis Park High School, said in a letter his school would no longer compete with New Prague High School because of racist incidents. Ewald said a player on his team was subjected to monkey sounds and racist taunts while playing in a hockey game.

Prior Lake has been plagued by racist incidents in the past. Last year, the district made national headlines when two students were caught on video using racial slurs to berate a Black student. The incident went viral and led to protests on campus and in downtown Minneapolis.

Teri Staloch, the superintendent of the Prior Lake-Savage Area Schools, announced February 23 that she’s resigning to work in private industy, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported.

Exact wrong approach to bullying. If at all possible you do not let them alter your routine.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2022, 11:06 pm

More cancel culture. How much power over events should an anonymous note wield?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2022, 11:27 pm

Is it just me, or does that look a bit odd,
"
Demondi Johnson, the girls’ coach at Prior Lake High School, announced on Twitter February 23 he would step down.
I will never sit down to racism and will always stand up for those who look like me,” Johnson said.
"
And Johnson's twitter after that looks odd too, his response to school parents unfollowing him;
https://twitter.com/DemondiJ/status/1497629901255544842

Quote:
Demondi Johnson
@DemondiJ
Feb 26
I know right. More mad at me for leaving than they at what happened to Achai, or finding out which girl in our program wrote it. Sad!

Maybe I'm missing some critical bit of the logic process somewhere, but how by leaving do you stand up for those (students) who look like you and how by leaving do you find who wrote that note?

Weird.

Really, really, weird.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2022, 12:53 am

If I was the coach I would do everything in my power to find the author of the note and Dox them.
One thing racists hate is light being shone on the dirty little thoughts they carry.

AmandaPreston
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Sep 2022, 9:21 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Is it just me, or does that look a bit odd,
"
I will never sit down to racism and will always stand up for those who look like me,” Johnson said.
"
And Johnson's twitter after that looks odd too, his response to school parents unfollowing him;
https://twitter.com/DemondiJ/status/1497629901255544842
Quote:
Demondi Johnson
@DemondiJ
Feb 26
I know right. More mad at me for leaving than they at what happened to Achai, or finding out which girl in our program wrote it. Sad!

Maybe I'm missing some critical bit of the logic process somewhere, but how by leaving do you stand up for those (students) who look like you and how by leaving do you find who wrote that note?

Weird.

Really, really, weird.
Stop the planet, I'll get off it! When everyone forgets about racism. Why don't we use the word racism on animals, they are all different breeds. I read a lot about racism, used https://sampleon.com/free-essays/racism/for this. There were things I couldn't even think of. I don’t understand what the joke is to blame someone who has a different skin color. People are just degrading!

Well, when the world will calm down!

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 12:15 pm

What's the over/under on the girl sending the note to herself?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 11:41 pm

There's a stupid thing that will never die and that thing is racism. I hope the racist monkey who wrote that note gets what he has coming for him.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 3:59 am

Dox47 wrote:

Got to prove it first, There's only been one Jussie Smollet. The right having nothing else.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 4:25 am

cyberdad wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

There's only been one Jussie Smollet. The right having nothing else.

Not exactly true

Racial Haox
In fairness, most of the incidents were false accusations against black people.

Also, most incidents don't make the news and get in Wikipedia.

The big picture is that most of these accusations are not fake but the fake ones make people assume any accusation is fake until proven otherwise and plenty of times that is not enough. Lord knows that is something we Autistics have to deal with.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 7:48 am

I'm talking about right wingers using Smollet's case to basically invalidate every single case of racism against black people

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 8:13 am

cyberdad wrote:
I'm talking about right wingers using Smollet's case to basically invalidate every single case of racism against black people

The same with the Duke volleyball player even though all the facts are not in. It works both ways. The right assumes hoax every time, the left assumes racism every time.