Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

EEngineer75
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Apr 2022, 11:47 pm

Fenn wrote:
“how long would you say it would take one of your engineers to trouble shoot a bug?”

He glared at me as if trying to figure out if I was serious then said in a very frank voice “how long is a piece of string?”

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll have to save that for the next time somebody asks me how long it will take us to troubleshooting a difficult problem at work! :jester:

(Although on second thought, I guess it's one thing for a manager to say that to an employee, but I'd probably say that to the wrong manager at the wrong time! :ncool: )

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2022, 3:58 am

Fenn wrote:
There is a joke about the American space program developing a ball-point pen that would work in zero gravity - write upside-down and even under water - while the Russians used a pencil.

And the joke about that joke is that the joke is swimming in multiple gallons of not-quite-exactly-reality.

Quote:
Why not just use a pencil?
NASA wanted an alternative to pencils because the lead could easily break off and float away, creating a hazard to astronauts and sensitive electronics on the spacecraft. Cosmonauts also have been using Space Pens since 1969.

https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/space ... e_in_Space

Quote:
The Soviet space program used grease pencils, which don't have breakage problems—to access more of the writing wax, cosmonauts simply peeled away another layer of paper. The problem with a grease pencil is that it's imprecise and smudgy—it's a lot like writing with a crayon. The peeled-away paper also created waste, and bits of paper floating around a Soyuz capsule were nearly as annoying as bits of graphite floating around an Apollo capsule.

The final mark against pencils has to do with fire. Any flammable material in a high-oxygen environment is a hazard, as we all learned after the terrible fire on Apollo 1. After that tragedy, NASA sought to minimize the use of flammable materials in space capsules—and every form of pencil (traditional, mechanical, or grease) involved some amount of flammable material, even if it was just the graphite.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/131 ... cils-space

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2022, 12:06 pm

If you try to do something too difficult then you fail; and waste time, cash and energy

If you do not try to do anything hard, you never accomplish enough for self actualization

The best method is to set goals that are hard enough to be challenging and improve your situation, while not so hard you could never achieve it

Some people claim that your goals should be

Specific
Manageable
Attainable
Reasonable
Timeable

Acronym for "smart"

Having said that , for a long time, I have been wounded permanently from many things, such as: excessive failures of the academic and social variety.

As a result I have not set goals for a long time

As a