Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2022, 2:40 pm

I was quite impressed by Russell Brand's eloquence in looking at the larger picture of the Ukranian invasion. Here in the U.S., other Western democracies, and of course Russia, we are always going to get perspectives that are designed to benefit the ruling class. We're never going to get the full context of how we arrived in this horrific place.

We are all just pawns in a geo political game. It's only when people in every corrupt government wake up to these realities and stop playing into the hands of our oppressors that we might have a chance of avoiding the catastrophe to come.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2022, 8:00 pm

Brand announced a multitude of viewpoints at the beginning, but gave only two... George Friedman of Stratfor has another one: what the US needs to avoid at all costs is German engineering with Russian natural resources - that would create a new world power that could rival the US's and China's. A peaceful cooperation between Europe and Russia is not in US interest.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2022, 8:56 pm

He is a good speaker.
But he is wrong.
There is a very simple binary.

Pepe good...pootin bad... :mrgreen:

Bottom line is, pootin is a menace threatening WWIII.
I am convinced it isn't going to happen, but he is a clear danger to the security/stability of Europe.

And, as I have said many times, psychopaths only respect power and prey on weakness.
NATO, get your fingers out of your collective arses and prepare to meet the challenge of this egomaniac. 8)

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2022, 9:22 pm

Pepe wrote:
He is a good speaker.
But he is wrong.

I am convinced it isn't going to happen, but he is a clear danger to the security/stability of Europe.

And, as I have said many times, psychopaths only respect power and prey on weakness.
NATO, get your fingers out of your collective arses and prepare to meet the challenge of this egomaniac. 8)

I don't you are understanding the points Brand is making here. Not by a long shot.

Of course Putin is a threat to the world. Honestly, I don't believe you absorbed the major point of the commentary.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2022, 10:33 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Pepe wrote:
He is a good speaker.
But he is wrong.

I don't you are understanding the points Brand is making here. Not by a long shot.

Of course Putin is a threat to the world. Honestly, I don't believe you absorbed the major point of the commentary.

Brand specifically said we need to make up our own minds.
I have done that even before watching his video, however. ;)

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 12:43 pm

Pepe wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Pepe wrote:
He is a good speaker.
But he is wrong.

The point you are failing to grasp is all the other factors that brought us here. When you poke a wild dog with a stick, of course it's going to attack you.

NATO and the U.S. are culpable for this crisis, nobody's hands are clean. There are no good guys left, just corrupt systems of government.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 4:21 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
NATO and the U.S. are culpable for this crisis, nobody's hands are clean. There are no good guys left, just corrupt systems of government.

Where did I suggest I don't agree with what you said? :scratch:

If you look at one of the first posts I ever made regarding this tragedy, you will see I understand pootin's desire for security.
It doesn't change the fact that pootin is a rabid dog skunk. :mrgreen:

You seem to be looking for a fight with me.
I don't fancy your chances. ;)

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 4:56 pm

Pepe wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Where did I suggest I don't agree with what you said? :scratch:

If you look at one of the first posts I ever made regarding this tragedy, you will see I understand pootin's desire for security.
It doesn't change the fact that pootin is a rabid dog skunk. :mrgreen:

You seem to be looking for a fight with me.
I don't fancy your chances. ;)

Alright, I guess I misunderstood. I apologize.

But don't get TOO cocky with me. If I were looking for a fight, I'd f**k up your s**t! Ha!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Mar 2022, 5:47 pm

This is, unfortunately, exactly the sort of nonsense one would expect from Brand. I'm surprised to learn that some people are still paying attention to the man now that he's no longer culturally relevant - it's not like he was ever known for his intelligence, and I'm afraid he certainly hasn't demonstrated any here. He's a millionaire playboy with almost no understanding of anything.

No, no reasonable person would conclude that NATO's expansion is the "cause" of the war. Bennis, of course, is not a reasonable person; she's a famous antisemite and anti-war whackjob. But Brand doesn't do what a journalist would do and highlight that, he just presents her views without substantial critique. He even provides his own commentary which doesn't stack up, such as claiming that it is hard to think of purely humanitarian military interventions in recent years. It's easy to think of military interventions for humanitarian reasons in recent years, from the coalition against ISIS to the French intervention in the Central African Republic's civil war. While you could argue the War in Afghanistan was motivated by retribution, the subsequent twenty-year occupation had no strategic benefits and was purely humanitarian. He then contradicts himself by criticising the West for not intervening in Yemen.

He's then much more critical of Freedland's piece. Again he tries to claim that "Western nations continually redraw national boundaries", but he doesn't provide any examples. He criticises American, British, and French colonialism, but Britain and France have shrunk the size of their territory dramatically since 1945, and Britain now only holds one territory without the consent of the local people (the British Indian Ocean Territory). When was the last time either of them gained a new territory through conquest? When was the last time America did?

Brand then accuses Freedland of drumming up support for "our governments' military actions", but our governments are not taking military actions. And he goes on about this at length. It shows a complete lack of understanding of the situation that makes his opinions totally useless. It's just completely deranged, post-truth nonsense.

Brand is of course entitled to his opinions, and to voice them. But here, he doesn't make any insightful points, he just regurgitates a load of buzzwords like he's swallowed a sociology textbook, and when he does say something meaningful, it's nearly always false or irrelevant. Unfortunately, he's yet another stupid rich white man with worthless opinions who feels the need to share them nonetheless. The world needs less lecturing from upper-class anti-intellectual grifters, of which Brand is a prime example.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 7:46 am

It's the 21st century.

I believe there are elements of Hitler in Putin; I agree with you on that.

Putin doesn't care about the people he has ruled over since 1999. All he cares about is a Russian nationalist agenda which is destroying Ukraine, and definitely not doing justice to his own people at the same time. And he is potentially provoking something worse, should he cross the Ukrainian border in a land which is not Russia.

All this because he wants Ukrainians to be Russians.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 8:33 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's the 21st century.

aahhhhahahahahahaahhaahhah.

thank you for making my day. hahahahahaa

I don't know if you intend it krafti, but many of your posts come across to me as very dry-humoured, and it really tickles me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 9:42 am

I’m glad my occasional attempts at being witty are noticed 8)

I do believe we have to see the humor in most situations—many of which don’t seem humorous at first glance.

The ability to laugh at one’s self is most valuable.

Taking one’s self too seriously is something that really rankles me, and feels unpleasant to me.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2022, 2:44 am

VegetableMan wrote:
Pepe wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Pepe wrote:
He is a good speaker.
But he is wrong.

The point you are failing to grasp is all the other factors that brought us here. When you poke a wild dog with a stick, of course it's going to attack you.

Even if there was no so called "NATO expansion," Putin would still be trying to reconsolidate the Russian Empire. This would still be happening.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2022, 4:18 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Pepe wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Pepe wrote:
He is a good speaker.
But he is wrong.

Even if there was no so called "NATO expansion," Putin would still be trying to reconsolidate the Russian Empire. This would still be happening.

Agreed.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2022, 4:45 am

VegetableMan wrote:

One of those rare times I agree with you. The entire western world is being put at risk because of Ukraine. NATO and the US must take some of the responsibility in not managing this crisis properly.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Mar 2022, 4:48 am

cyberdad wrote:
One of those rare times I agree with you. The entire western world is being put at risk because of Ukraine. NATO and the US must take some of the responsibility in not managing this crisis properly.
1. Russia is the one putting the entire world at risk.
2. What, in your opinion, "managing the crisis properly" would look like?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>