Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Mar 2022, 5:59 am

"Fight back"? "Strike after giving 10 warnings"?
I think you are talking about some other historical event.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 6:02 am

As for China…..no matter the “Chinese” viewpoint,” there’s no justification for its treatment of the Uyghurs and the Tibetans.

The Chinese are bad communists….communists are not supposed to be ethnic nationalists.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 6:05 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
As for China…..no matter the “Chinese” viewpoint,” there’s no justification for its treatment of the Uyghurs and the Tibetans.

The Chinese are bad communists….communists are not supposed to be ethnic nationalists.

I don't think the propaganda on this issue in the western world is true.
I'm preparing a thread to talk about my opinion. It won't take too long.

But the last sentence is an interesting point.
Now China does have groups that oppose the government under the banner of communism.
I'm not sure how far I've leaned to the left. But I am an internationalist.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Mar 2022, 6:28 am

Mikah wrote:

The_Walrus wrote:
All of these people are commenting in a different time. I believe all of their commentary deprives Russia of any agency. Nobody forced them to invade Ukraine - they did that off their own bat. Responsibility for the war sits solely with Russia.

Yeah and nobody forced the man I yelled at, threatened to punch and pissed on for good measure to fight back. He threw the first punch after giving me 10 warnings so he is in the wrong. This is what has become of our politics and the civil service. Stupid, blind, borderline solipsistic diplomacy barely at the level found in a school playground.

“You don’t understand officer, I had to punch my neighbour, he wasn’t doing anything wrong but I don’t like his friends, and I warned him I was going to do it, and anyway, you let me off last time I punched him, and when I punched my other neighbour.”

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 6:51 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Now China does have groups that oppose the government under the banner of communism.

I plan a response to what Kraftie said but don't have time to do it now as my workday is beginning.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 6:57 am

The_Walrus wrote:
“You don’t understand officer, I had to punch my neighbour, he wasn’t doing anything wrong...

Hehe.

Perhaps a much better analogy, given there are actually weapon systems and armed troops involved in the real world is the man waving a knife or a firearm in his face.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Mar 2022, 7:18 am

Mikah wrote:
Perhaps a much better analogy, given there are actually weapon systems and armed troops involved in the real world is the man waving a knife or a firearm in his face.
Saying - don't attack me or I'll use them.
Yes officer, he waved his pistol and called for his friends when I was telling him he has no right to exist, while standing at his fence with my machine gun.
It's clearly his friends' fault! If they rejected him, I'd just still be using his backyard and do what I please in his home, just like I used to.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 7:27 am

OK so in another thread I had stated an opinion that I found it hard as an American to take the moral high ground in view of what the US did in Iraq. I also want to say that I find the moral high ground hard to attain in view of the fact that the West is refusing to give Ukraine the sort of support they're begging for.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 7:42 am

Just because we screwed up in Iraq.....doesn't mean we should also screw up in Ukraine.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Yeah.....we screwed up in Iraq and Syria-----and, probably, some sort of racism was involved in that. And some sort of favoritism in terms of Ukraine being "European" is at play here.

Still, I still wouldn't back off from aiding Ukraine because it's "racist," somehow.

I would seek to do better in places which really need the help---like in Syria....or in the Somali area.....or in Myanmar.

A perception of "hypocrisy" should not color our response to Ukraine.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 10:19 am

MaxE wrote:
OK so in another thread I had stated an opinion that I found it hard as an American to take the moral high ground in view of what the US did in Iraq. I also want to say that I find the moral high ground hard to attain in view of the fact that the West is refusing to give Ukraine the sort of support they're begging for.

Problem is the "sort of support they're begging for" would involve direct combat between NATO forces and Russia. That's a no-no due to the threat of nuclear war.

So the best we can do is a Cold War-style proxy war, i.e. aid Ukraine the same ways the Soviet Union and China aided Vietnam against the U.S.A. back in the 1950's-1970's.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 11:11 am

Mikah wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Now that you established that the west rubbing in their victory in Cold War 1 as a major factor in the war what now?

Our descendents learn from our mistakes? They probably won't, but Truth is still a good in and of itself.

That is the future, that does not help anybody now.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The West is not going to try and undo the mistake by saying sorry we was wrong you can try and get Soviet Union back and maybe the Warsaw pack also without interference from us, nor should they as that would be very bad for people who live in the old Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact through little fault of their own.

Mikah wrote:
I do not suggest that. Really, there isn't much that can be done now, besides reminisce about the lost opportunities to prevent this war, prevent Russia from falling into the Chinese camp and the consequential acceleration of our own decline.

I never said you did. As the saying goes it is what it is. What it is very different from the ‘90s when America was the sole superpower who could bend everybody to its will. While those decisions lead to bad choices today, lesser of evils choices need to be made. Doing nothing but regretting the prior bad choices is also a choice with bad consequences.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 11:27 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
MaxE wrote:

Problem is the "sort of support they're begging for" would involve direct combat between NATO forces and Russia. That's a no-no due to the threat of nuclear war.

So the best we can do is a Cold War-style proxy war, i.e. aid Ukraine the same ways the Soviet Union and China aided Vietnam against the U.S.A. back in the 1950's-1970's.

You're right but I still feel bad about it :( .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 4:58 am

I’m into the “proxy war” situation, too.

Not direct military intervention in Ukraine.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 6:18 am

MaxE wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I plan a response to what Kraftie said but don't have time to do it now as my workday is beginning.

Unfortunately, as often happens, I don't recall exactly what I wanted to say. But regarding Communism, it's popular to say that Communism and Fascism are 2 sides of the same coin, but I see a fundamental distinction in that Communism has always professed a lofty goal of opposing exploitation whereas Fascism has never made any sort of Humanitarian appeal. This is how historical figures such as Fidel Castro and Salvador Allende Gossens have been able to attract admirers in the West. Nevertheless I don't see any relevance to dismissing the CCP as "bad Communists", like who would be a "good Communist" in your view, especially as somebody who grew up in a society that categorically rejects Communism in any form?

The other point is about propaganda. Let's assume anything we are told about China, Russia, etc. is somebody's propaganda. But bear in mind that over the last 7 years or so we in the US have been exposed to a lot of Russia inspired propaganda, whereas all propaganda we encounter regarding China is anti-Chinese so we've been trained to take a dim view of anything China or the CCP does.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 7:32 am

MaxE wrote:
MaxE wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Unfortunately, as often happens, I don't recall exactly what I wanted to say. But regarding Communism, it's popular to say that Communism and Fascism are 2 sides of the same coin, but I see a fundamental distinction in that Communism has always professed a lofty goal of opposing exploitation whereas Fascism has never made any sort of Humanitarian appeal. This is how historical figures such as Fidel Castro and Salvador Allende Gossens have been able to attract admirers in the West. Nevertheless I don't see any relevance to dismissing the CCP as "bad Communists", like who would be a "good Communist" in your view, especially as somebody who grew up in a society that categorically rejects Communism in any form?

The other point is about propaganda. Let's assume anything we are told about China, Russia, etc. is somebody's propaganda. But bear in mind that over the last 7 years or so we in the US have been exposed to a lot of Russia inspired propaganda, whereas all propaganda we encounter regarding China is anti-Chinese so we've been trained to take a dim view of anything China or the CCP does.

My post about Xinjiang has been published in the PPR section.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 7:59 am

Communists are not supposed to be into nationalism, and discrimination against “minority” ethnic groups.

“Two sides of the same coin” as far as extremism is concerned—is quite applicable.

The CCP has an authoritarian form of government—no matter the “propaganda.”
The Chinese people are usually quite decent folks.