Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2022, 3:48 pm

What do people think of this video game series?

Personally, I enjoyed kicking Albert Wesker's ass, thinking of myself as Chris Redfield, whilst doing so, particularly in the Resident Evil 5 installment.

Sigi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 May 2022, 8:29 pm

I love the series. Nver played the originals though. I did have dino crisis which was similar

I am actually playing 5 for the first time and it's not great. The AI is bad and it's not scary and very beige.

REmake 2 and RE8/7 would be my favourites.

Remake was good but the item management gets annoying.

RE3 was disappointing. So short and I though nemisis would be scarier

4 was good. Code veronica hasn't aged well, I'd like a remake.

Still need to play 6.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 10:06 pm

I like the games a lot, even though they have a lot of frustrations...too much item management, a limited amount of saves, terrible combat. I know, I know it's supposed to be more about surviving than about having a fun time, but still...

But I play them anyway.
Beat 1 on the PSX and the DS.
2, 3, and CV on the Dreamcast (when I replay them though, I will play CV before 3, it's much better that way)
4 on the Wii, I liked that one a lot, and the controls were awesome. Just wish it wasn't forced widescreen, because, like Skyward Sword, that means it doesn't look great on fullscreen -or- widescreen televisions.

I -think- I beat RE Gaiden on the GBC, but I can't remember if I actually finished it or if I gave up right before the end. The game starts out decent enough, but after a while, you really get sick of all of the bugs and the general unpolished/unfinished feeling of the game.

I got a ways into Zero, but for some reason I always lose some enthusiasm with that one. I really need to sit down and finish it so I can play the lightgun "remakes" on the Wii without (more) spoilers.

Oh, I also beat the first Survivor a time or two, and I don't know why people hate it, I rather enjoyed it.

Got a little ways into Revelations on the 3DS, it's a decent enough game. I played Mercenaries 3DS a bit too, but it's very ugly, and I have nobody to play it with =)

Sigi wrote:
I am actually playing 5 for the first time and it's not great. The AI is bad and it's not scary and very beige.

Yeah, I've heard 5 isn't that good, especially if you play it by yourself.

Quote:
REmake 2 and RE8/7 would be my favourites.

Oh, I did play the demo of REmake 2, that was pretty cool. Very different from the original, but in a good way.

Quote:
Remake was good but the item management gets annoying.

Item management is annoying in all of the games, really. At least all of the old games. I guess 4 wasn't -too- bad?

Quote:
RE3 was disappointing. So short and I though nemisis would be scarier

I liked 3, but I would've liked it better to have played it -after- CV, which they had originally intended. I really liked being able to dodge while you knife, that was a great upgrade, and being able to automatically walk up stairs was kind of nice too.
It sucked to play CV and not be able to dodge anymore. I also had a habit of having things like all of the printer ink ribbons in my inventory (instead of in the magic box) right before the game changed characters on me >_<

Dragnet
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2022, 8:05 pm

Resident Evil 4 is the best in the series in my opinion. I liked the remake of the original but never won it. There is a mod for the PC version to skip the annoying door opening sequences. I can find it if anyone wants to know but it makes the remake a lot more playable in my opinion.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 6:09 pm

I really like the older games and the recent remakes of Resident Evil 2 and 3. Resident Evil 4 and 5 were more actiony but I enjoyed them too.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 4:47 pm

I think resident evil 4 remake is going to have a tough time outdoing the original re4.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2022, 9:33 am

Jamesy wrote:
I think resident evil 4 remake is going to have a tough time outdoing the original re4.

I agree.

Shame they skipped over Code Veronica, I think that one would do well with a remake.

The Mauve Factor

15 Oct 2022, 1:03 am

I'm reeeeeeally oldschool here, but I just like the first one (like, the one on PS1). Something about the atmosphere and pace still gives me the creeps to this day, and makes me super happy whenever I revisit it.

There's also a certain other survival horror game that gives me the same vibes. Some of you might know the one

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 11:48 am

The Mauve Factor wrote:
There's also a certain other survival horror game that gives me the same vibes. Some of you might know the one

Alone in the Dark?

The Mauve Factor

16 Oct 2022, 2:29 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
The Mauve Factor wrote:

Alone in the Dark?

Yes! The New Nightmare to be exact, but 1-4 are pretty awesome if you don't mind the cheesy aspects (they get pretty cringey at times)

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 10:55 pm

Dragnet wrote:
Resident Evil 4 is the best in the series in my opinion. I liked the remake of the original but never won it. There is a mod for the PC version to skip the annoying door opening sequences. I can find it if anyone wants to know but it makes the remake a lot more playable in my opinion.

I enjoyed Resident Evil 4 a lot too. Though 5 is my favourite, probably due to the timing when I played it (the first Resi' game I have played, despite it being a later entry to the series).

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 2:52 pm

I used to like the classic games made before Resident Evil 4 best, and I still do. But the remakes of RE2 and RE3 were pretty great despite their flaws.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 10:36 am

Call me crazy but Katherine Warren, the daughter of Raccoon City's mayor who was brutally murdered by the Chief of Police in Resident Evil 2, became my favorite character next to Ada Wong after playing her level in the free mini game Ghost Survivors where she survives her encounter with Chief Irons and braves the zombie infested streets of Raccoon City to rescue her boyfriend Ben. It was really cool. 8)

https://youtu.be/zPJFhIVdRDI

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 10:00 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I really like the older games and the recent remakes of Resident Evil 2 and 3. Resident Evil 4 and 5 were more actiony but I enjoyed them too.

4 & 5 are supposed to be more action-adventure whilst the first three were more like survival-horror.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 10:01 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Call me crazy but Katherine Warren, the daughter of Raccoon City's mayor who was brutally murdered by the Chief of Police in Resident Evil 2, became my favorite character next to Ada Wong after playing her level in the free mini game Ghost Survivors where she survives her encounter with Chief Irons and braves the zombie infested streets of Raccoon City to rescue her boyfriend Ben. It was really cool. 8)

I quite liked Ada Wong. I don't recall this character, however. I guess she is exclusive to the free mini game you mention?

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 10:17 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

I quite liked Ada Wong. I don't recall this character, however. I guess she is exclusive to the free mini game you mention?

Yeah Ada Wong is my favorite character in every game she appears in. 8)

And I don't know if you ever played the original or remake of Resident Evil 2 but this character was the daughter of Raccoon City's mayor. When you play tue game as Claire Redfield you find her dead in the police chief's office laid out on a table and from reading his journal you learn that he had a creepy obsession with her and after murdering her he planned to turn her into one of his stuffed animal trophies.

What made it tragic was that she trusted him to keep her safe during the outbreak in Raccoon City because he was a good friene of her father, and she never had any idea that her father was a corrupt politician who had secret dealings with Umbrella just like the police chief.

But I really like this mini game The Ghost Survivors because she survives by fighting back and gets a happy ending where she escapes with the reporter Ben. :D

The Ghost Survivors is really cool because it changes the fate of four minor characters who tragically died in Raccoon City by giving them a second chance to escape the city. You get to play as the mayor's daughter, the gun shop owner, one of the Umbrella soldiers who was killed on the mission, and the sheriff who was killed trying to arrest a zombie at the start of the game.

https://youtu.be/TQRduhuKCZg