Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Aug 2022, 1:01 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
As if we don't already have enough problems with CloudFlare, can we at least drop them for supporting KiwiFarms?

I don't feel comfortable knowing that WP gives money to a company that refuses to take action against one of the most dangerous, toxic websites on the Internet.

Especially when WE are their main target.

There are a few key points here. I am going to phrase some of them diplomatically.

The first is that Alex almost certainly isn’t going to do anything, and it would need to be him. I believe WrongPlanet is primarily self-financed by Alex still. I believe it is unlikely that he would be swayed by arguments about CloudFlare also hosting other websites, because every realistic alternative (Amazon perhaps?) will probably also host a site that could be viewed as just as bad.

The second is that, please, do not do or say anything that could cause relations with KiwiFarms to deteriorate. It is frankly easy to forget that the site exists. I don’t claim to be an expert in everything they have ever done, but with one exception some years ago when it comes to WrongPlanet all they do is point and laugh.

Tl;dr: Alex is not likely to switch servers on any grounds other than performance and cost. WrongPlanet certainly isn’t about to take a big anti-KF stand that would paint a target on this site.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2022, 8:36 pm

I get that long-loading-time issue all the time. Sometimes minutes or an error.

This type of forum is out of fashion and it's not surprising that the equipment and software used for it are also all outdated because the owner is just waiting for WP to die. Some members say that WP's become very quiet compared with some years ago. I think it's a symptom of a forum death.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 2:58 am

The_Walrus wrote:
The second is that, please, do not do or say anything that could cause relations with KiwiFarms to deteriorate. It is frankly easy to forget that the site exists. I don’t claim to be an expert in everything they have ever done, but with one exception some years ago when it comes to WrongPlanet all they do is point and laugh.

I just clicked on KiwiFarms to see what it is and got a Cloudflair connection timed out error lol.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 9:14 am

I got the cloud fare page a few times yesterday.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

27 Aug 2022, 12:53 pm

temp1234 wrote:
I get that long-loading-time issue all the time. Sometimes minutes or an error.
I've not seen that in ages. Also WP, CloudFlare, and the hosting system can do nothing to help with any transitory, localised network issues.

Quote:
This type of forum is out of fashion and it's not surprising that the equipment and software used for it are also all outdated because the owner is just waiting for WP to die.
Not so.

phpBB is a very popular and well-maintained means of creating a forum - not everything needs or benefits from a "fashionable" sparkly graphical interface.
WP is hosted on a virtual machine as part of a very large system hosting several others by a company with over 18 years' experience: https://www.sliqua.com/

And it's still funded by Alex at no cost to members.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

27 Aug 2022, 1:03 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I just clicked on KiwiFarms to see what it is and got a Cloudflair connection timed out error lol.
Which means the site isn't available to CloudFlare. Whether that's because support has been withdrawn or the site itself is down - or whether any of this is permanent, remains to be seen.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 3:41 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I don’t claim to be an expert in everything they have ever done, but with one exception some years ago when it comes to WrongPlanet all they do is point and laugh.

I've been casually following them for over 20 years now, we are definitely targets. I've seen quite a few of our members featured there, and can name two who are still active here.

Matrix Glitch wrote:

They're a cyber-bully/hate group who mainly target LGBTQ+, especially trans and furries, and Autistics, and who are known for doxxing, cyber-stalking/harassment, and in-person stalking/harassment of individuals, their friends, and their family.

They do it "for the lols", but have bullied at least three people (that we know of) to death, and lead another to actions that will probably put them in prison for the rest of their life.

They started as Something Awful, and then splintered into 4Chan, and then KF. They also run Encyclopedia Dramatica.

Cornflake wrote:
Which means the site isn't available to CloudFlare. Whether that's because support has been withdrawn or the site itself is down - or whether any of this is permanent, remains to be seen.

They're not sure what's going on, but don't think it's a DDoS attack. It happened again last year when they killed Near, and the site was back up within a few weeks.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 1:13 pm

An awful lot of buffering going on this evening, pages often taking a minute or two to load. Only happening on WP at my end, not other websites.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 1:22 pm

DeepHour wrote:
An awful lot of buffering going on this evening, pages often taking a minute or two to load. Only happening on WP at my end, not other websites.

I thought it was my phone.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 8:48 pm

Had the same problems around the same time in New York.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 6:41 am

WP was virtually unusable yesterday afternoon here in the UK with pages sometimes taking a minute or more to load. Considering the history of Alex's lack of involvement with the site, we can't expect matters to improve. Really we should just be grateful he still foots the bill for the existing service. The site is still free for us to use, so we can't really complain.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Sep 2022, 8:57 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
I don’t claim to be an expert in everything they have ever done, but with one exception some years ago when it comes to WrongPlanet all they do is point and laugh.

I've been casually following them for over 20 years now, we are definitely targets. I've seen quite a few of our members featured there, and can name two who are still active here.

“Targets” for what though?

If they come over here and start harassing people, then we have a problem.

But if all they’re doing is pointing and laughing in their own bubble, then all we have to do is just not look at the bubble.

Unless there’s an actual brigade, then it isn’t WrongPlanet’s problem. Best not poke the bear.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Sep 2022, 4:18 pm

Radish wrote:
WP was virtually unusable yesterday afternoon here in the UK with pages sometimes taking a minute or more to load. Considering the history of Alex's lack of involvement with the site, we can't expect matters to improve. Really we should just be grateful he still foots the bill for the existing service. The site is still free for us to use, so we can't really complain.

My understanding is that issue was not related to the server, but instead a software issue.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 5:43 pm

Overall given the circumstances that seem to be out there on the net … am thinking WP has done a pretty fair job of maintaining this site . Some days are better than others though . :heart:

where ever you go ,there you are