Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 3:11 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Germany's humiliation and forced suffering by the allies after WWI had left the Germans ripe for extremists who wanted to take advantage of that. The Nazis sold the Germans on nationalism based on racism/Anti-Semitism that had long predated their party, and in fact was common all over the western world at the time. Read F. Scott Fitzgerald's book, The Great Gatsby, and see the racist idiocy spouted by Daisy's a$$hole husband. Jew hate had been common among Christian Europeans - and by extension, America - from the very beginning. The Nazis had been able to use Jews, Gypsies, the far left, and others as scapegoats for Germany's suffering. It just so happened that Hitler had been able to take advantage of a perfect storm raging in the time in Germany.

Nicely said. 8)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 3:14 am

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Germany's humiliation and forced suffering by the allies after WWI had left the Germans ripe for extremists who wanted to take advantage of that. The Nazis sold the Germans on nationalism based on racism/Anti-Semitism that had long predated their party, and in fact was common all over the western world at the time. Read F. Scott Fitzgerald's book, The Great Gatsby, and see the racist idiocy spouted by Daisy's a$$hole husband. Jew hate had been common among Christian Europeans - and by extension, America - from the very beginning. The Nazis had been able to use Jews, Gypsies, the far left, and others as scapegoats for Germany's suffering. It just so happened that Hitler had been able to take advantage of a perfect storm raging in the time in Germany.

Nicely said. 8)

Thank you. 8)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Mar 2022, 3:14 am

My generation of Poles do not hate Germans the way my grandparents did.
It really can change over time - if the behavior that prompted the hate changes and better ways hold.

I believe Hitler did harm Germans and Putin is harming Russians - along with the peoples they invaded.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Mar 2022, 3:26 am

shlaifu wrote:
until the Maidan-protests, the nationalist far-right was the main anti-Russian movement in Ukraine. Since then, western-oriented parties have become more important, and the neo-Nazis have lost a lot in importance, since they are no longer the only alternative to pro-Russian gangsters.

This isn’t true. Prior to the Maidan protests, the most significant anti-Russia movement in Ukraine were movements like Our Ukraine and the Dictatorship Resistance Committee. In the 2007 elections, the corresponding political blocs got 44% of the vote between them. The far-right didn’t get a seat between them. In 2012, the far-right got 10.5% and entered Parliament, but they were comfortably beaten by two other pro-European parties: the centre-right Fatherland (who would go on to lead the Dictatorship Resistance Committee) and the liberal-conservative Democratic Alliance for Reform. Between them, those two parties got just under 40% of the vote. There were also a large number of small pro-European parties who won a further 3% or so between them.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 3:37 am

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Nicely said. 8)

Pretty good indeed, but one has to be really gullible to buy into that... or not so gullible...

Obviously, my point of view has the benefit of history, but... I don't necessarily buy into that innocence. Not every German was a Nazi, and not every one of them was a supporter. But still...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 5:08 am

r00tb33r wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Nicely said. 8)

Pretty good indeed, but one has to be really gullible to buy into that... or not so gullible...

Obviously, my point of view has the benefit of history, but... I don't necessarily buy into that innocence. Not every German was a Nazi, and not every one of them was a supporter. But still...

To be sure, too many Germans had allowed themselves to be duped, as they had wanted what was happening to their country to make sense. And then, after the Germany's economy recovered under Hitler, and the country was feeling proud again, many people became loyal to him just for that reason.
Yes, there had been Germans who had never been happy with the Nazis, while there were others who eventually became disenchanted with Hitler. One such person was the mayor of Stuttgart, who learned from German soldiers about what was really happening to the Jews who had been promised to be resettled in the east. The Stuttgart mayor had been a key figure in organizing an Anti-Nazi underground called the Black Orchestra, which included theologians such as the Lutheran minister Dietrich Bonhoeffer and leading army officers such as Erwin Rommel, and Claus Von Stauffenberg (who had been responsible for the failed bomb attempt on Hitler's life). Sadly, too many Germans in both civilian and military life continued their devotion to Hitler.

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 6:23 am

funeralxempire wrote:

Don't be this guy.

This reminds me how over half the population wouldn’t do anything while the deep state is taking people’s freedom and most people see it as no big deal. I could see most citizens as being ”that guy”. Just like when people will call the police over a neighbor’s late night party but won’t call them in a neighbor’s couple dispute because it’s not of their business.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 8:44 am

TRUMP, had he been elected to a second term, certainly would have sought to eat away at our civil liberties.....

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 9:04 am

r00tb33r wrote:
^ I don't share that opinion. I think the Ukrainians will forever see Russians as the attackers who have hurt them...

...unless they fight it to the end, establishing one side as an undisputed historical victor, which is the point of my OP.

if if russia smashes ukraine, that won't stop them from hating russia and their untold distant ancestors from hating russia.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 9:09 am

Pepe wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
Hate for Putin's Russia Consumes Ukraine

There is only one Russia. Ukranians now hate it more than ever. It's not possible to walk away from that hate. It will forever be an open wound, a grievance between the two people if the conflict isn't conclusively resolved. There will have to be a clear victor in the confrontation of force. There will be a side who has been clearly bested, and they will have to accept it as fact. Recovery may begin once the facts of the conclusion are accepted. For this reason the war shouldn't stop.

I've seen the bitterness of the Falklands War, it will only be worse in Ukraine if they aren't given a chance to fight to the extent of their ability.

Have you seen the sister link?
https://www.yahoo.com/news/Hate for Trump's Republicans Consumes-Democrats.

It isn't a real link. ;)
<satire> 8)

if somebody screwed you over 16 ways past sunday, how could you be expected to not hate them?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 9:36 am

I feel like many Ukrainians feel a sort of "brotherhood" with Russians, and vice versa.

Some Ukrainians might hate Russia because of what Putin has wrought.....but there are some who are able to separate the person named Putin and his apparatus----from the ethnic group known as the Russians.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Mar 2022, 10:36 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel like many Ukrainians feel a sort of "brotherhood" with Russians, and vice versa.

Some Ukrainians might hate Russia because of what Putin has wrought.....but there are some who are able to separate the person named Putin and his apparatus----from the ethnic group known as the Russians.

The Ukrainians I talked to want Russians to go away and stay away.
"All they ever brought to us was misery" - said my friend recently.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 10:48 am

It looks like the Ukrainian president might make some concessions to Putin.

He stated that NATO doesn’t want Ukraine, anyway…and that he doesn’t want to be perceived as begging “on hands and knees” for NATO membership.

I sense he is disillusioned because the US is not advocating making Ukrainian airspace a “no fly zone” for the Russians.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 09 Mar 2022, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 10:50 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It looks like the Ukrainian president is about to make some concessions to Putin.

He stated that NATO doesn’t want Ukraine, anyway…and that he doesn’t want to be perceived as begging “on hands and knees” for NATO membership.

I sense he is disillusioned because the US is not advocating making Ukrainian airspace a “no fly zone” for the Russians.

i don't believe pootin will stop at this point, he wants them to swear allegiance to russia.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 10:54 am

Even the Russian-speaking Ukrainians have spirit, though.

They are protesting even in Russian-occupied cities.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 11:05 am

r00tb33r wrote:
MaxE wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
^ I don't share that opinion. I think the Ukrainians will forever see Russians as the attackers who have hurt them...

...unless they fight it to the end, establishing one side as an undisputed historical victor, which is the point of my OP.

40 years ago the Israelis invaded Israel. To this day the Lebanese hate Israel.

:scratch:
Wait, what?

Am I wrong about this? Anybody familiar with that invasion of Lebanon?