“There was no autism diagnosed before 1930.”

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2022, 6:37 pm

Heh - made me smile, figured I’d share. :)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2022, 7:01 pm

Obviously Pluto is the real cause of autism, just like the declining numbers of pirates are the direct cause of global warming.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2022, 7:14 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Obviously Pluto is the real cause of autism, just like the declining numbers of pirates are the direct cause of global warming.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2022, 7:20 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Obviously Pluto is the real cause of autism,

Wait a minute, how can they be sure that autism didn't cause Pluto ...

:wink:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2022, 9:54 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Obviously Pluto is the real cause of autism,

Wait a minute, how can they be sure that autism didn't cause Pluto ...

:wink:

8O 8O

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IberoTarasco
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Mar 2022, 12:35 am

Just like Pluto was always there, so was Autism.

I believe even some Neanderthals possibly had autism.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2022, 11:35 am

Lizzie_Duck
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Mar 2022, 1:31 pm

Isaac Newton :heart:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2022, 4:38 pm

Nonsense.

America didnt exist...until Columbus came along.

LisaM1031
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2022, 1:11 pm

People tried to stop the 1918 flu with a vaccine based on bacterial pneumonia because no one knew about viral infections until about 10 years later. Does that mean the flu virus didn’t exist? Just like autism in the past was assumed to be a form of mental retardation or even schizophrenia. It DID exist but no one knew what it was.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 4:33 pm

From my personal experience I'd say the evidence is that no flu of any kine existed at all before 1954. I never caught it before that!

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2022, 3:10 pm

Pretty sure Martin Luther (founder of Lutheranism) met an autistic kid, and absolutely hated his guts.

Quote:
Eight years ago [in the year 1532] at Dessau, I, Dr. Martin Luther, saw and touched a changeling. It was twelve years old, and from its eyes and the fact that it had all of its senses, one could have thought that it was a real child. It did nothing but eat; in fact, it ate enough for any four peasants or threshers. It ate, s**t, and pissed, and whenever someone touched it, it cried. When bad things happened in the house, it laughed and was happy; but when things went well, it cried. It had these two virtues. I said to the Princes of Anhalt: "If I were the prince or the ruler here, I would throw this child into the water--into the Molda that flows by Dessau. I would dare commit homicidium on him!" But the Elector of Saxony, who was with me at Dessau, and the Princes of Anhalt did not want to follow my advice. Therefore, I said: "Then you should have all Christians repeat the Lord's Prayer in church that God may exorcise the devil." They did this daily at Dessau, and the changeling child died in the following year.... Such a changeling child is only a piece of flesh, a massa carnis, because it has no soul.

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Mar 2022, 5:01 pm

As one who always wonder about this I'd really like to know what the alternative diagnosis were.

The amount of kids on the spectrum today must be more than they used to be. I'm not talking about aspergers, I'm talking about Kanners kind of autism. To miss these kind of behaviors or lack of communication is not something you can just happen to miss. With all these stories of "improvement" and "recovery" it makes me believe this kind of autism can improve or just go away by itself. When you can credit stuff like stem cells, diet changes, aba therapy, and many more methods, and no one can provide solid evidence for what actually happened.

I will probably need to come back here and explain myself again because I tend to type stuff that is totally incomplete.

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

TheRealGK
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Mar 2022, 3:13 am

I entirely agree that autism did not exist in 1930. What we call autism is nothing but a label for certain behaviors; it does not exist without humans pretending it exists. Only people with autistic behaviors existed before psychiatry created the autism label.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 5:48 am

So... maybe autistic people originate from Pluto? :mrgreen:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 4:54 pm

Jon81 wrote:
As one who always wonder about this I'd really like to know what the alternative diagnosis were.

The amount of kids on the spectrum today must be more than they used to be. I'm not talking about aspergers, I'm talking about Kanners kind of autism. To miss these kind of behaviors or lack of communication is not something you can just happen to miss. With all these stories of "improvement" and "recovery" it makes me believe this kind of autism can improve or just go away by itself. When you can credit stuff like stem cells, diet changes, aba therapy, and many more methods, and no one can provide solid evidence for what actually happened.

I will probably need to come back here and explain myself again because I tend to type stuff that is totally incomplete.

ret*d. Mentally ret*d. Mental retardation etc. This is what they lumped everything under before ASD and other diagnoses were more clearly defined.

Also, I believe ASD rates are actually higher today than then due to increased use of antibiotics and poorer modern diet.