Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2022, 2:42 pm

This is what a Catholic school looks like when it is performing well & on a good day. People behaving & working together in harmony.

My personal experience is that there is more care in religious schools, versus non-religious schools.

Non-religious schools are basically all about scientific learning. Religious schools are about scientific learning, plus the added measure of faith (which inevitably leads to a better community, in my opinion, when people have each others figurative backs, and when the currency is good will rather than cash).

I'll add to this, that a persons emotional health is better rounded when people have an infusion of good will in their lives from a young age. The brain craves good will, once it has received it. And the only way to satsify an addiction to good will, is to make good will mandatory in various ways, so that the good will supplies don't run dry.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2022, 4:00 pm

I went from a public junior high school to a Catholic high school, and the difference in how I was treated was night and day. Almost everyone in high school was so nice; I never got bullied the way I did in junior high.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2022, 4:04 pm

Grammar Geek wrote:
I went from a public junior high school to a Catholic high school, and the difference in how I was treated was night and day. Almost everyone in high school was so nice; I never got bullied the way I did in junior high.

Yep.

I went to two Catholic Schools & received minimal bullying, and when I was bullied, the odd person would protect me from the predators.

I went to an academy 6th form (non-religious) and everyone was nasty as hell there.

Tolerance rules don't work without faith & good will, people will inevitably, simply find loopholes & exploit those loopholes in a robotic, scientific manner and then real people get damaged.

If people don't believe in good, they won't act in a way that is socially acceptable to good people.

Which is why Machiavellianism is rife in non-faith schools.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 2:01 am

Hmm, I think what makes the biggest difference is how serious the students are about their studies. Other factors being equal, the bullies tend to be the students who aren't serious. I think this makes a bigger difference than religious vs. nonreligious.

I attended religious schools for grades 1 to 8 and did experience some bullying there, although it never got physical.

As for high school, I attended a non-religious but specialized public high school, the Bronx High School of Science, which had an entrance exam and thus was limited to relatively good students. Another nice thing about Bronx Science was that there were students from all over the city, so there was no one clique that everyone had to belong to or else. I liked Bronx Science a lot better than the schools I attended earlier.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 8:40 pm

My dad went to a Catholic school but said if you did anything the nuns did not approve of, they would hit you with a ruler. One of my teachers in high school also went to a Catholic school and said if your skirt did not touch the ground when you kneeled, they would hit you on the knees with a ruler.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 9:52 pm

instead of parochial versus secular, maybe the difference is between private and public schools

maybe schools that cost more cash have less bullying

plenty of private schools are secular

plenty of students bullied me in junior high school. public school

all the schools i went to public school

not all public schools are the same

not all private schools are the same

not all parochial schools are the same

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2022, 5:59 pm

My NT sister and I never were students of Catholic schools for our formative years
and we are glad this never happened. However, we both attended an alternative school for our
high school years and we weren't popular kids despite the majority treating us nicely, her more than me. We hardly got picked on, but two teachers saw us (and fellow misfits, one of whom my NT sister still talks to this day) as easy targets for intimidation.

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2022, 2:24 pm

I was bullied in Catholic middle and upper school. Not so much secondary school (Year 11 only as we moved across England) and 6th form was fine. Girls are just nasty tbf although some were boys in middle school, but I didn't mind fighting with them :)

That said I don't think Catholic schools are much better. There was still drugs teen pregnancies etc. I remember a girl in my co-hort being visably pregnant come the exam in June, not that I saw her much.

That said I think some schools are better than others. I've been to a 7 schools from reception to Y13 in total. It just depends on the head, the local authority and the teaching staff.

As from a parents point of view my current local authority sucks and the head has changed so my daughter's school went from brilliant to the biggest useless place over the summer holidays. My son's school life though has been brilliant from start to almost finish (Y11 atm) It's just a lottery on how lucky you get.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 2:45 pm

amykitten wrote:
I was bullied in Catholic middle and upper school. Not so much secondary school (Year 11 only as we moved across England) and 6th form was fine. Girls are just nasty tbf although some were boys in middle school, but I didn't mind fighting with them :)

That said I don't think Catholic schools are much better. There was still drugs teen pregnancies etc. I remember a girl in my co-hort being visably pregnant come the exam in June, not that I saw her much.

That said I think some schools are better than others. I've been to a 7 schools from reception to Y13 in total. It just depends on the head, the local authority and the teaching staff.

As from a parents point of view my current local authority sucks and the head has changed so my daughter's school went from brilliant to the biggest useless place over the summer holidays. My son's school life though has been brilliant from start to almost finish (Y11 atm) It's just a lottery on how lucky you get.

It is a lottery isn't it? I think the local authority is important as you have implied - the better the area and the more efficient and well performing a local authority is; the better chance there is of being good schools in the area.

Area cannot be underestimated in terms of there being good schools within them, since less wealthy places are likely to have more problems with crime and therefore, recreational drug usage.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 2:16 am

My first school was a Catholic school and I was bullied right from the start. One girl was particularly good at pinching me during class until I almost screamed.

The rest of my schools (6 of them) were all bully infested too. It wasn't until my last two years in high school that I had some friends who were willing to have my back if anyone outside our group tried anything with me.

My housemate went to a Catholic all boys school. Maybe it was a boys thing, but there were many physical fights there. However, the teachers seemed to care about their students.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2023, 6:52 pm

pfttt.

I could tell you stories. Absolutely hated my time at a religious school. I don't buy the whole currency is good will part. There was no good will in that place. Nor was there any care. My emotional health certainly wasn't doing well.

lemonboi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jan 2023, 1:29 pm

Hmm...I don't think they're much better than public schools. I went to catholic schools growing up and I experienced bullying in 4'th through 6th grade.

I went in early high school as well, and a lot of the kids there were admittedly a bit standoffish and snobby. The teachers were really good, and the food was notably better, however, the kids there weren't really that different than public school kids most of the time. They were just as apt to engage in bullying and look down on others who don't come from their background.

There is also a bit of a problem, at least where I'm from, with catholic schools not really providing IEPs or 504 plans. As well, it's more academically challenging and intense, which is good, but for those of us with executive functioning deficits and teachers who won't help, it's a bad combo.

However, Catholic schools can have the added benefit of a smaller classroom size, which could be good for those who require extra attention from teachers or those who get overwhelmed easily As well, while it is challenging, the academic quality is comparatively better than your average public school.

I suppose it depends on a few factors and what the individual needs personally, it could be good for some and bad for others

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

06 Apr 2023, 8:12 pm

Did Catholic school K-12 and almost attended a university run by Jesuits. Wanted to go to the public H.S., but my parents wouldn't have it. Told them not so long ago, they could have just invested the money they wasted for all the good it did.

Maeko
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2023, 12:23 am

RandoNLD wrote:
Did Catholic school K-12 and almost attended a university run by Jesuits. Wanted to go to the public H.S., but my parents wouldn't have it. Told them not so long ago, they could have just invested the money they wasted for all the good it did.

I always thought the majority of catholic are of english/Irish ancestry for some reason. My experience with discipline in schools was usually to face a wall or talk it out with the principal. If you didn't eat your food at lunch, you got wailed on about wasting. Sit at desk with eyes closed until the teacher proceeded to use power gazes over you until you started to speel every God awful thing under threat response.

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

20 Apr 2023, 12:35 am

Maeko wrote:
RandoNLD wrote:

I always thought the majority of catholic are of english/Irish ancestry for some reason. My experience with discipline in schools was usually to face a wall or talk it out with the principal. If you didn't eat your food at lunch, you got wailed on about wasting. Sit at desk with eyes closed until the teacher proceeded to use power gazes over you until you started to speel every God awful thing under threat response.

The Catholic school teachers where/when I grew up were mostly better adjusted than the P.S. teachers, but H.S. was crazy, lots of drug use and drinking among the kids, the religion teacher who was a nun had a thing for Brad Pitt and literally about 15% of the girls were pregnant during the middle of high school. The place had fewer than 300 kids the whole time I was there, so I don't know how the other 130 girls didn't leave with a diploma in one hand and a baby in the other (a parent told that one).

beady
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2023, 1:14 am

I went to a catholic elementary and it was mostly dreadful.

Since there weren't enough nuns to teach every grade, they had to use some teachers who were not nuns.
Only two of my teachers were kind human beings - one was a nun and one was not. The religious staff were angry, mean, and punitive to many students though they favored others. The priests were either rarely seen or very creepy - even at a young age I didn't feel safe around those men.