Why this « never give up » culture?

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 4:21 pm

In my opinion, some people here obviously can’t have a relationship, they have way many things that make it impossible (ie health problems, age, life circumstances, poverty…etc). They’re simply… not capable for winning in dating nor having a relationship.

And some of those are on the edge of giving up and accepting it, yet members here are like insisting on them to never give up, and keep telling them success stories they know… etc.

Why this « never give up on finding love » culture? It is really creating unnecessary pressure on those people, why not instead advising them how to *give up* in a *healthy way*, meaning for them to accept that they’re not made for dating/relationships but to find a different purpose in life to enjoy the rest of it. And no, I don’t mean by that as « love can find you when you are not looking » kind of bs advice.

If someone has a horrible crow-like voice wanting so much to become a singer star and yet keeps getting rejected by the jury, is it wise to keep telling them « don’t give up, you’ll get it there »? NO! This advice will eventually destroy them and will make them waste their life away over something they can never achieve.

And no, confidence doesn’t solve anything, how many candidates in programs like the Voice got destroyed and mocked in public because they were SO confident (delusional) about their singing skills, and then the reality hit them hard in their first audition?

Sometimes, it is OK to give up, even more, sometimes it the right thing to do.

And So It Goes
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 4:42 pm

I know I've shared my stories of success on here, but only to chime in on other aspects of dating and relationships.

I definitely understand what you mean though.

For some, I can imagine it's like pouring salt in the wound, especially the unnecessary pressure that finding love can bring down on to people.

Would it be a good idea to setup a sticky thread for those trying to find love within themselves and healthier and happier things for them to enjoy?

"And I've embraced the calamity, with a detachment and a passive disinterest."

"I hear voices...But I ignore them and just carry on killing."

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 5:49 pm

^ that’s a good idea.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 6:54 pm

Think about all the men you've seen posting here about their perpetual inability to ever gain any kind of traction in the dating world. How many of those men do you think would be receptive to the idea of never getting to experience any kind of romantic relationship or sex?

It would seem to me that most would rather commit suicide than accept life-long romantic and sexual loneliness. Most of us are biologically programmed to intensely desire those kinds of experiences with members of the opposite sex, and the idea that we do not get to have those experiences, but must live in a world where we are constantly exposed to everyone else getting to have those experiences is infuriating.

You've mentioned that you're likely to give up if your current relationship doesn't work out. I would say giving up after having your fair share of romantic and sexual experiences is significantly more palatable than being told to give up despite never getting to have those experiences at all.

Why would someone who has an extremely intense desire to experience romantic and sexual interactions, who is extremely frustrated and depressed about their inability to do so, want to continue living when romantic and sexual experiences are off the table for them? Nobody wants to continue feeling that way, and essentially being forced against their will to give up on having the experiences they value more than anything doesn't stop them from feeling that way.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 7:01 pm

This isn't the problem. The real problem is the enabling. Some just whine, and others pacify them. There's a difference between the discussion of a problem vs a behavioral pattern. Some are just leeching on the compassion.

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 10:27 pm

Some people just get screwed over in the dating game through no fault of their own.

I know a guy who's a perfectly nice and easy going fellow but I doubt he's ever going to get married, have a family, or even have a girlfriend. He's a legitimate 2/10 on the lookscale; grossly overweight, very ugly face, and honestly looks "special". He's autistic and works full time as a dishwasher.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 11:34 pm

Muse933277 wrote:
Some people just get screwed over in the dating game through no fault of their own.

I know a guy who's a perfectly nice and easy going fellow but I doubt he's ever going to get married, have a family, or even have a girlfriend. He's a legitimate 2/10 on the lookscale; grossly overweight, very ugly face, and honestly looks "special". He's autistic and works full time as a dishwasher.

Does he have any dating ambitions?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 11:37 pm

Saying things like, ”Either you should never give up, or you should learn to live with being single and celibate” has put me on at least one person’s List of Detractors.

What else can be said to people who have given up trying to improve themselves, who have nothing to bring in to a relationship, who cannot form meaningful relationships, and who cannot stop complaining about it?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 11:42 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
This isn't the problem . . . Some are just leeching on the compassion.
^ This, quoted for truth.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 11:45 pm

I find that most people who feel they’re ugly—-actually aren’t all that ugly.

My mother made me think I was a fat slob when I was a child. I was actually only slightly chubby.

Boo is not one to talk. He has an attractive girlfriend now. I find it would be ridiculous if he gave up should his relationship not be successful. His only drawback is his height. My drawback is my height, too. And I’m sort of nerdy and old-looking.

No sirree! I don’t believe in giving up. I believe is not letting the pursuit of a partner be an all-encompassing thing.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2022, 3:42 am

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
Think about all the men you've seen posting here about their perpetual inability to ever gain any kind of traction in the dating world. How many of those men do you think would be receptive to the idea of never getting to experience any kind of romantic relationship or sex?

It would seem to me that most would rather commit suicide than accept life-long romantic and sexual loneliness. Most of us are biologically programmed to intensely desire those kinds of experiences with members of the opposite sex, and the idea that we do not get to have those experiences, but must live in a world where we are constantly exposed to everyone else getting to have those experiences is infuriating.

You've mentioned that you're likely to give up if your current relationship doesn't work out. I would say giving up after having your fair share of romantic and sexual experiences is significantly more palatable than being told to give up despite never getting to have those experiences at all.

Why would someone who has an extremely intense desire to experience romantic and sexual interactions, who is extremely frustrated and depressed about their inability to do so, want to continue living when romantic and sexual experiences are off the table for them? Nobody wants to continue feeling that way, and essentially being forced against their will to give up on having the experiences they value more than anything doesn't stop them from feeling that way.

I remained virgin and celibate way after your current age, but this did not make me suicidal.
In fact, getting cheated on made me feel more suicidal.

That’s why I can’t relate much with your suicidal thoughts because of this, but I am not denying yours.
I strongly believe that giving up on this goal (and finding another) would be good for you in particular, but I am no expert in psychology to tell you how.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2022, 3:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I find that most people who feel they’re ugly—-actually aren’t all that ugly.

My mother made me think I was a fat slob when I was a child. I was actually only slightly chubby.

Boo is not one to talk. He has an attractive girlfriend now. I find it would be ridiculous if he gave up should his relationship not be successful. His only drawback is his height. My drawback is my height, too. And I’m sort of nerdy and old-looking.

No sirree! I don’t believe in giving up. I believe is not letting the pursuit of a partner be an all-encompassing thing.

My relationship isn’t that rosy, just yesterday I was considering breaking up because she was doing drama (over something silly with her friends that I have absolutely nothing to do with, they cancelled a trip to a snow area due to weather condition, and she’ve wanted so much to go aa she never seen snow before) and was doing the « my way or the highway » attitude toward her friends. She treated me coldly when I tried to reason with her that the weather is horrible and roads to there get blocked and iced.

She apologized this morning on her own, but that’s not her first time doing do. Another red flag.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2022, 3:56 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I remained virgin and celibate way after your current age, but this did not make me suicidal.

That’s why I can’t relate much with your suicidal thoughts because of this, but I am not denying yours.
I strongly believe that giving up on this goal (and finding another) would be good for you in particular, but I am no expert in psychology to tell you how.

Is that you basically saying you don't think I'm likely to ever have any dating success? If so, can I ask why? You can PM me if you don't want to derail the thread.

When you had no dating experience, did you feel like you would never have any dating experience throughout your whole life?

And yeah, I can imagine that being cheated on would really wound a person. I'm sorry that happened to you. My brother was cheated on by the mother of his child, and I think it really messed him up.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2022, 4:03 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Is that you basically saying you don't think I'm likely to ever have any daring success? If so, why?

When you had no dating experience, did you feel like you would never have any dating experience throughout your whole life?

And yeah, I can imagine that being cheated on would really wound a person. I'm sorry that happened to you. My brother was cheated on by the mother of his child, and I think it really messed him up.

I don’t know for the first question, but it’s possible.

Yes, back then, for the 2nd question. In fact, I still know for a certain that I would never get married.
Casual flings/fwbs is the most I could ever get,
I have never experienced a well rounded formal relationships like other people.
But I don’t even have the energy to deal with more of this anymore.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2022, 4:07 am

if men worked on building a life that made them happy women would be the ones having to pursue

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2022, 12:22 pm

Sometimes *hope* feels better than *resignation* in the short term, even if it is just *false hope*

"If you work hard you can be anything you want to be when you grow up". That's part of the *"never give up" culture.*. Wrong Planet posters did not invent the *"never give up" culture*.

Sometimes something appears impossible and it is not impossible

Sometimes something appears impossible and it *is* impossible

Things are not always the way they appear

In some situations it is a good strategy to give up

Every situation different

Everything I try to accomplish is like "you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear"

You can't "prove" it is impossible to do something, but that doesn't mean that it is worth the time cash and energy wasted trying

The story of my "life"