Why did NATO choose to rely on Russian gas and oil?

Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 4:43 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Giving MOABs to Ukraine would potentially encourage Russia to use thermobarics and other indiscriminate weapons.

Russia has already used thermobaric weapons.

The bigger issue is that there's no benefit to giving Ukraine MOABs. They're not attacking deeply dug in fortifications or needing to create large helicopter landing pads in the middle of the jungle. They're not suitable for the fight Ukraine is engaged in at the moment.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 4:50 pm

Yeah, MOABs would be a mistake. First, it would be wrong for them to use it on their own territory, second, it's unlikely it would be wise to try it outside the territory as it would result in a carpet-bombing by the Russians.

I doubt a MOAB would result in a nuclear escalation, but we haven't seen the worst of the conventional warfare either, and I hope we won't have to.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 5:09 pm

Oh ok I see. So Ukraine's only hope is to fight a powerful country like Russia with small weapons then and hope that will work?

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 5:13 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh ok I see. So Ukraine's only hope is to fight a powerful country like Russia with small weapons then and hope that will work?

It's a doomed fight. They're 300 Spartans now, they will become outright Kamikazes if they try anything more.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 5:25 pm

ironpony wrote:

Generally speaking one should fight a war with the most suitable weapons they have. If you had to defend a home against home invaders (even if you had access) you probably wouldn't want to grab an RPG-7 and a .50 cal rifle if you also own a handgun, you'll just take the handgun and leave the useless things behind.

They're not suitable for the job and they're likely to cause you more problems than they're worth depending on who knows you've got 'em.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 5:42 pm

magz wrote:
The possible side effect is nuclear holocaust, which we would prefer to avoid.

Obviously, you aren't a cockroach, German or otherwise.
I wonder what sort of sentient life would evolve from a world only of cockroaches?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 5:49 pm

ironpony wrote:
Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Also, if the rest of the world and the US wants to ship equipment to Ukraine to help them, wouldn't it be more effective to ship ICBMs to the Ukraine, because Putin is not going to want to risk nuclear war with another country that can fire nukes back therefore? Make Ukraine a nuclear superpower, and Russia is not going to want to mess with that?
The possible side effect is nuclear holocaust, which we would prefer to avoid.
Yes . . . after Russian troops capture the American-made ICBMs and turn them against us.

Could the US ship the Ukraine the next most powerful weapons secondary to nuclear?

It could, but it is pootin friendly... 8O

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2022, 9:40 am

I thought it was because electric car makers priced their cars as too high for a lot of people?