13 Mar 2022, 12:32 am

Quote:
How to Tell the Difference Between a Psychopath and a Narcissist

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2022, 12:46 am

Quote:
Narcissist, Psychopath, or Sociopath: How to Spot the Differences | Dr Ramani x MedCircle

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 8:14 pm

I just look at the core aspects, as it's too hard to determine otherwise due to too much overlap with one another, various presentations, and how the traits can be found in anyone to various amounts. Generally:

Psychopath = a lack of empathy with almost no emotions and downright cold cruelty against humans/animals; they want to gain tangible things (they're often violent)
Narcissism = a lack of empathy with emotions and internal emptiness that leads to behaviors that boost their own ego/self-esteem (since they feel empty); they want to gain emotional things that make them feel better (not much different to anyone else with violence)

The latter aren't too bad, other than making relationships an emotional bother (both do suffer), along with making say, people into Echoists if parents/siblings are such (which is a form of Narcissism in a way because they're still self-absorbed). Easy to spot.

Psychopaths are a real bother, and are harder to spot, often until far too late.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 8:37 pm

Dillogic wrote:

Psychopaths are a real bother, and are harder to spot, often until far too late.

I think the world would be a better place without them. 8)

Kaioken
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Apr 2023, 4:50 pm

Dillogic wrote:
I just look at the core aspects, as it's too hard to determine otherwise due to too much overlap with one another, various presentations, and how the traits can be found in anyone to various amounts. Generally:

Psychopath = a lack of empathy with almost no emotions and downright cold cruelty against humans/animals; they want to gain tangible things (they're often violent)
Narcissism = a lack of empathy with emotions and internal emptiness that leads to behaviors that boost their own ego/self-esteem (since they feel empty); they want to gain emotional things that make them feel better (not much different to anyone else with violence)

I think this a good way to differentiate the two. I think about each in a similar way. Psychopaths seek power and resources. Narcissists seek adoration and adulation. And the way each seeks these things is on a level far, far beyond that of the average person.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2023, 11:17 pm

Kaioken wrote:
Dillogic wrote:

I think this a good way to differentiate the two. I think about each in a similar way. Psychopaths seek power and resources. Narcissists seek adoration and adulation. And the way each seeks these things is on a level far, far beyond that of the average person.

A friend of mine used to say: "Narcissists are respect driven".

Kaioken

28 Apr 2023, 6:46 am

Pepe wrote:

A friend of mine used to say: "Narcissists are respect driven".

That’s a good quote

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

29 Apr 2023, 11:50 pm

Narcissists won't reciprocate much, Psychopaths are are bit more rational and may come off a bit less shallow initially, I think.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 11:58 pm

RandoNLD wrote:
Narcissists won't reciprocate much, Psychopaths are are bit more rational and may come off a bit less shallow initially, I think.

My understanding is that psychopaths are much more calculating and less emotional, yes.

Kaioken

30 Apr 2023, 10:17 am

Pepe wrote:
My understanding is that psychopaths are much more calculating and less emotional, yes.

Yes, and psychopaths are able to use anger instrumentally. Even if they don’t feel anger, they sometimes fake anger in order to get what they want.

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

30 Apr 2023, 4:34 pm

Narcissists are also less likely to reciprocate when a group mentality is necessary for things like life or death situations; I've known different people with both traits and I have to say, the self-interested psychopath who knew I increased their chances of surviving dangerous situations we were in together was better to have around than the narcissist any day.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2023, 4:17 am

RandoNLD wrote:
Narcissists are also less likely to reciprocate when a group mentality is necessary for things like life or death situations; I've known different people with both traits and I have to say, the self-interested psychopath who knew I increased their chances of surviving dangerous situations we were in together was better to have around than the narcissist any day.

Both would probably "throw you under the bus" if it meant their survival, no doubt in my mind. 8O

Kaioken

01 May 2023, 12:03 pm

RandoNLD wrote:

I know a narcissist and a I know psychopath. And I find the psychopath easier to deal with than the narcissist.

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

03 May 2023, 1:24 am

Kaioken wrote:
RandoNLD wrote:

I know a narcissist and a I know psychopath. And I find the psychopath easier to deal with than the narcissist.

Yes, research done within the last few years has determined Psychopaths do have remorse among other emotions and I've always noticed acquaintances with Psychopathic traits are better at handling dangerous situations. The more Narcissistic acquaintances are worse friends all around.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2023, 3:34 am

RandoNLD wrote:
Kaioken wrote:
RandoNLD wrote:

Yes, research done within the last few years has determined Psychopaths do have remorse among other emotions and I've always noticed acquaintances with Psychopathic traits are better at handling dangerous situations. The more Narcissistic acquaintances are worse friends all around.

I haven't come across that.
Could you post a link that supports that belief?

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

06 May 2023, 12:00 am

I can't remember the journal that mentioned Psychopaths have remorse, but I wasn't surprised as Antisocial Personality Disorder; "Psychopathy" has a failure or refusal to change one's behavior as a feature.