Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 12:07 am

RandoNLD wrote:
Kaioken wrote:
RandoNLD wrote:
Narcissists are also less likely to reciprocate when a group mentality is necessary for things like life or death situations; I've known different people with both traits and I have to say, the self-interested psychopath who knew I increased their chances of surviving dangerous situations we were in together was better to have around than the narcissist any day.

I know a narcissist and a I know psychopath. And I find the psychopath easier to deal with than the narcissist.

Yes, research done within the last few years has determined Psychopaths do have remorse among other emotions and I've always noticed acquaintances with Psychopathic traits are better at handling dangerous situations. The more Narcissistic acquaintances are worse friends all around.

Their remorse is usually for getting caught.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2023, 12:22 am

RandoNLD wrote:
I can't remember the journal that mentioned Psychopaths have remorse, but I wasn't surprised as Antisocial Personality Disorder; "Psychopathy" has a failure or refusal to change one's behavior as a feature.

I did a quick Google and came up with this.
There are more articles.

Quote:
Psychopaths do experience regret, particularly when their bad decisions affect them directly — yet they don’t use that experience to inform their future choices, according to a new study published the week of Nov. 28 in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

“The popular view of psychopaths is that they are cold, callous, and simply don’t care what happens to themselves or anybody else,” said Yale psychologist Arielle Baskin-Sommers, co-author of the paper. “But this research shows they can experience negative emotions — if they are impacted by the situation. ”

https://news.yale.edu/2016/11/28/psycho ... learn-them

But this doesn't REALLY fit into MY definition of a psychopath.
MY definition involves someone who DOES NOT have a conscious, and therefore what was said would not qualify.

MY definition of a psychopath involves ppl who have an anti-social-personality disorder and have embarked on a "mission/lifestyle" involving malicious intent.

Feeling REGRET if things don't go their way?
That is something for further consideration.

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

06 May 2023, 11:50 am

It boils down to a lack of inhibition, not malice. Psychopaths and Narcissists are aware of what they are doing, but Psychopaths are less likely to give it in-depth examination. The "I am special" or "more important" worldview is the rule of thumb justification for people with NPD. Also, Psychopathy is a personality trait with a spectrum, surgeons tend to be more psychopathic than the population at large, perhaps because you have to be numb to the fact that you're elbow deep in another human being's chest cavity if you are to replace a heart valve for instance.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2023, 8:24 am

One way psychopaths flourish is that they sometimes have orbiters. People who think the psychopath is admirable, or is on their side. I've seen it on psych forms where non-psychopaths like the idea that they can "handle" the psychopath. Kind of like something out of a sword-and-sorcery book, where a magician summons a demon, thinking he's the rare human who can handle it. The demon strokes his ego, the magician thinks he's special, then he gets destroyed worst of all by the demon he admired and arrogantly thought he could control.

Or like that fable about a woman who finds an injured venomous snake. She takes it in, cares for it, loves it. They seem to bond. The snake slowly gets better. The woman thinks she's the only one who can understand the snake. Then, one day, when the snake is all better, it suddenly bites her. As she lays dying, she asks the snake WHY??

The snake replies, "You stupid bïtch, you knew I was a snake. What did you think I would do? I couldn't do it earlier because I was too weak. Now that I'm better, I'm doing what I do. The fact that you cared for me and healed me is irrelevant. You're just another victim."

RandoNLD, for your own safety, examine yourself. There seems to be some of this said masochism in you. Don't be an orbiter for psychopaths, they are NOT your friends.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2023, 8:33 am

Remorse and regret are two separate concepts.

Having remorse requires a conscious. Regretting something simply means wishing you had done something differently, for whatever reason.

Suppose you're drunk, and you crash a car and kill a mother and child. Remorse is the guilt of killing two innocent people, "They're dead because of me and my horrible actions. My god, I was out of control. I both REGRET drunk driving and am REMORSEFUL for the taking of the innocent lives I needlessly ended."

A psychopath may feel, "I don't give a damn about the people I killed. I have no REMORSE, don't care two people are dead. I wasn't trying to kill them, but I feel no guilt over their deaths. But I do REGRET drunk driving that night, because I ended up wrecking my car. I had to bum rides until I could afford a new one. That sucked for me. I liked that car. It was a great status symbol and made me feel important. I really regret getting drunk that night and wrecking it, because now I don't have it anymore. The two innocent lives I took? Meh, who cares? I have no remorse."

That's the difference between REGRET and REMORSE.

Yes, a psychopath can have regrets, especially if something didn't end up going the way they anticipated, they may regret their strategy if it didn't pay off, or if it cost them something. They don't have remose.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2023, 11:50 am

It's funny, most of us would understand that some rando lecturing about what autistic people feel is almost certainly misinformed and oversimplifying things; yet when someone drones on about what narcissists and psychopaths feel no one challenges them on their similarly 'informed' views.

It's all just repeating what people who don't have the condition claim about it, rather than what people who actually have the condition describe.

Likewise, it's irrelevant what anyone's personal definition of the word is. If your personal definition doesn't match proper usage, you're incorrect.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2023, 12:50 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
One way psychopaths flourish is that they sometimes have orbiters. People who think the psychopath is admirable, or is on their side. I've seen it on psych forms where non-psychopaths like the idea that they can "handle" the psychopath. Kind of like something out of a sword-and-sorcery book, where a magician summons a demon, thinking he's the rare human who can handle it. The demon strokes his ego, the magician thinks he's special, then he gets destroyed worst of all by the demon he admired and arrogantly thought he could control.

Or like that fable about a woman who finds an injured venomous snake. She takes it in, cares for it, loves it. They seem to bond. The snake slowly gets better. The woman thinks she's the only one who can understand the snake. Then, one day, when the snake is all better, it suddenly bites her. As she lays dying, she asks the snake WHY??

The snake replies, "You stupid bïtch, you knew I was a snake. What did you think I would do? I couldn't do it earlier because I was too weak. Now that I'm better, I'm doing what I do. The fact that you cared for me and healed me is irrelevant. You're just another victim."

RandoNLD, for your own safety, examine yourself. There seems to be some of this said masochism in you. Don't be an orbiter for psychopaths, they are NOT your friends.

I'm no masochist and I don't like people with either trait. Psychopaths abound in certain types of societies and you will encounter them in environments you do not control, chiefly work and school, with cops having some of the highest per capita rates of any profession. As for NPD, it's on the rise in the States which has the highest incidence of it already.