How much crisis can the world take ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2022, 10:23 am

I seem to feel like I'm sick of this crisis mentality that is going on, first there was the pandemic and now there is a war in the Ukraine and I've resorted to avoid watching the news now (although there are times that I check to see any improvement) and it seems to annoy me with the apocalyptic rhetoric by some news channels and their presenters. Not only that there is also a cost of living crisis and so on. It is like how much crisis can the world take ? Please tell me if I am catastropizing and explain to me how to be calm and realistic.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2022, 10:29 am

It pays to disconnect from instant news feeds, and read only a limited number of credible news sources daily.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2022, 10:29 am

The World? A lot. The society? Less than the former, I'm sure, and some societies are stronger than others. Ukraine's in trouble, but aside from that, the rest of the Western world doesn't need to worry about the possibility of our societies collapsing for now.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2022, 10:37 am

chris1989 wrote:
I've resorted to avoid watching the news now ... Please tell me if I am catastropizing and explain to me how to be calm and realistic.

All I can tell you is that I've not watched TV, be it news or other, for most of my adult life and at his point I don't even listen to radio stations which give the news. I'll go find what news I want online when I want it, text removes much of the hype intensity that TV news can be saturated with. My way of being calm and realistic about the world goes deeply down a faith and spiritual route which ultimately wraps up with, Jesus wins; but not everyone has that worldview or a desire to have that worldview.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2022, 12:52 pm

I want to be informed while at the same time I cannot stand the news and avoid it as much as possible. I'm already too negative and pessimistic as it is.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2022, 6:12 pm

It looks quite peaceful outside my window even though I feel fight or flight/panic most of the day. My fight or flight/panic "switch" got stuck on. CBT, medication, exposure therapy and whatever didn't do much for me. Zyprexa helps a little, I guess. Benzos are placebos for me. I actually feel 10/10 anxiety daily, but no one will know it. I'm one of those suffer in silence types. Irrational anxiety, you can't really be realistic over, which is why it's considered a mental illness and they developed things like CBT for it. I'm sure you're completely safe now, OP, so realistically, what's there to fear? A tiny chance of something happening that you will think is certain to happen? Hence, disorder. You feared that SARS-CoV-2 is 100% lethal and the news reported such, but they never would have reported such (it's less than 1% overall), so irrational fear. It'd be wise to see a professional if you never have, as it helps people with these things and you can be put on a treatment path to help your anxiety; some greatly respond to such.

I stopped caring how I felt for whatever reason, which has allowed me to function in the face of my anxiety (many other things too). I likely just experienced too much and the fork in the road was a home/whatever or independence (since I have no help). I chose independence.

(lostonearth35, there's nothing wrong with being negative and pessimistic, other than the upset/suffering it can cause. I'm far more negative than I appear and all I see is darkness in life. I'm optimistic because I hope for brighter days, and even if they don't come, it can bring better thoughts than the dark ones for me. I'm not optimistic naturally.)