What's your least favorite neurotypical saying?

Page 5 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 23,147
Location: UK

26 Mar 2022, 6:33 pm

Me: I don't want to do overtime
NT coworker: Well, I've got to do it...
Yes but I'm not YOU, I'm ME, and nobody should be forced to do overtime so more fool you.

I hate it when I don't want to do something and someone else says that they have to do something they don't want to do, like they mean "if I'm doing it then you should too".


_________________
Female
Aged 32
On antidepressants
Diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety and mild ASD

I don't like autism being mentioned to me as I'm partly in denial.


Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Sep 2018
Age: 63
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,304
Location: New York City (Queens)

28 Mar 2022, 3:06 am

Magicklore wrote:
A runner up is "Wash rinse and repeat" because as a child I thought my mom was telling me to infinitely wash my hair and then she would get mad that I took an hour and used half a bottle of shampoo.

In some intro computer science classes and textbooks, "Wash, rinse, and repeat" is presented as a classic example of a bad algorithm, for precisely the reason you mentioned above.


_________________
- Autistic in NYC - Resources and new ideas for the autistic adult community in the New York City metro area.
- Autistic peer-led groups (via text-based chat, currently) led or facilitated by members of the Autistic Peer Leadership Group.
- My Twitter (new as of 2021)


Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2020
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,966
Location: U.S.A.

28 Mar 2022, 1:36 pm

"It's obvious."


_________________
When diagnosed I bought champagne!
I finally knew why people were strange.


CoolHandLuke
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 27 Mar 2022
Age: 133
Gender: Male
Posts: 133
Location: Earth

28 Mar 2022, 1:39 pm

"Keep my wife's name out of your f*****g mouf."


_________________
I'm a picture of ugly stories. I'm a killer and I'm a clown.


Fern
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,239

28 Mar 2022, 1:50 pm

"six of one, half a dozen of the other"
Why is it so long? Just saying "either way" is faster and easier to understand.

also

"You just have to want it hard enough."
Terrible advice. From context clues over the years, I think I have figured it out. People who say this are either:
1) highly privileged & look down on people who have less privilege
2) want you to stop talking about your problems in front of them


_________________
This is me.


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 109,998
Location: the island of defective toy santas

28 Mar 2022, 3:08 pm

^^^ QFT.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 46,678

16 Apr 2022, 12:00 am

Relationship words and phrases

Lover :eew:
Self-love (meaning masturbation) :eew:
Love Language :wall:
"I had a woman"
"I want to get a girlfriend"
You complete me
Head over heels (Our heads are always over our heels)
When women are told to leave abusive partners and go to shelters: "Just leave ..... "

(Sexist. ^ What if the woman owns the house? Women aren't always dependent on their partner for money. How about the abusive person gets kicked out to live in a shelter, instead of the victim? What if the woman is the abuser? Maybe the law should actually help abused women / people instead of making them homeless, which could force them to lose their children to social services ... I could go on)


Random words

Viral (meaning things that are online)
Irregardless (Should be "regardless")
Near-miss (Isn't that a hit?)
Neckbeard (WTF who cares if they have a beard?)
Redneck
Karen (The ultimate in misogyny, sexism, ableism, shaming, and gender toxicity)
Reverse-sexism
Reverse-racism


Autism phrases

Female autism (There's only one autism and gender is a social construct)
Auties
Aspies


Sayings

Once a _________ , always a __________ (Not true at all)
Don't let the door hit you on your way out
Practice makes perfect (No, it doesn't)
Sick as a dog (Are all dogs sick?)
Have your cake and eat it too (What else are you supposed to do with it?)


Clauses and sentence structure

If you're going to (Chicago), it will be sunny and 73 (What if you don't go?) - should be "In case you're going"
If you're wondering, my name is _______ (What if you aren't wondering?) - should be "In case you're wondering"
Hi, my name is Isabella from Wrong Planet (That's a very long name!)
Hopefully, he will get better (Should be "I hope ... ", unless he's recovering while he's also full of hope)


Wrong word

Can I go to the bathroom? (This means "Do I know how to go to the bathroom?") - should be "May I go ...?"
Can I help you? (You can, physically, unless you're deceased) - should be "May I help you .. ?"
Drive careful (Should be carefully)


Condolences

He's better off
He's in a better place
Everything happens for a reason


Advice and support

Don't let it bother you
Don't dwell on the past
You should get outside more (So much for people with Agoraphobia)
Just ignore it
Get over it
Relax
Try not to think about it
Have you tried mindfulness?
It could have been worse
Don't (the abusers) have anything better to do?
Hurt me once, shame on you. Hurt me twice, shame on me (No. Shame on you twice, or forgive you twice)
Any advice involving the word "Just" (Just leave, Just stop, Just start, Just do it. It's ableist)
Sticks and stones .... (How about not using verbal putdownsor physical violence?)
You can do anything you set your mind to (Really?!)
Try to reduce your stress
If you can see it, you can do it (So much for people with Aphantasia. More ableism)
Don’t worry; be happy
Smile!!
Don't take this the wrong way, but ... (That never ends well)
Try to get a good night's sleep (As opposed to?)
You must be _________ (emotion)
I know how you feel!



Last edited by IsabellaLinton on 16 Apr 2022, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 109,998
Location: the island of defective toy santas

16 Apr 2022, 12:05 am

have your cake [IOW KEEP your cake without eating it] and eating it too are indeed contradictory, just not in a commonly understood way.



HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,937

16 Apr 2022, 12:22 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Relationship words and phrases

Lover :eew:
Self-love (meaning masturbation) :eew:
Love Language :wall:
"I had a woman"
"I want to get a girlfriend"
You complete me
Head over heels (Our heads are always over our heels)
When women are told to leave abusive partners and go to shelters: "Just leave ..... "


You had me at :eew:

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Advice and support

Don't let it bother you
Don't dwell on the past
You should get outside more (So much for people with Agoraphobia)
Just ignore it
Get over it
Relax
Try not to think about it
Have you tried mindfulness?
It could have been worse
Don't (the abusers) have anything better to do?
Hurt me once, shame on you. Hurt me twice, shame on me (No. Shame on you twice, or forgive you twice)
Any advice involving the word "Just" (Just leave, Just stop, Just start, Just do it. It's ableist)
Sticks and stones .... (How about not using verbal putdownsor physical violence?)
You can do anything you set your mind to (Really?!)
Try to reduce your stress
If you can see it, you can do it (So much for people with Aphantasia. More ableism)
Don’t worry; be happy
Smile!!
Don't take this the wrong way, but ... (That never ends well)
Try to get a good night's sleep (As opposed to?)
You must be _________ (emotion)
I know how you feel!


Don't forget, "With all due respect, but..." :)



lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jan 2010
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,431
Location: Lost on Earth, waddya think?

16 Apr 2022, 12:29 am

"Low/high functioning"
"Has autism"
"Suffers from autism"
"Struggles with ___ due to autism"
"Has an obsession with (called a hobby if it's an NT person)"

"He's not suffering anymore"
"He wouldn't want you to be sad"

"I literally died" - Don't I wish? :twisted:
"First" - always seeing this on YouTube. So what, you're expecting a trophy or something? :roll:



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 46,678

16 Apr 2022, 12:34 am

HighLlama wrote:

You had me at :eew:


Hi High,

Sorry I haven't been in touch. If you're wondering, I've been busy with my lover who completes me so that we can learn each other's Love Language. Hopefully I'll message you after I self-love one more time.

Issy



HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,937

16 Apr 2022, 1:49 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
HighLlama wrote:

You had me at :eew:


Hi High,

Sorry I haven't been in touch. If you're wondering, I've been busy with my lover who completes me so that we can learn each other's Love Language. Hopefully I'll message you after I self-love one more time.

Issy


Lol...I dumped mine because of her neckbeard.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 46,678

16 Apr 2022, 1:55 am

I know how you feel! If she has a "neckbeard", she must be a "redneck", but you should just ignore it ... and "get over it". At least she's not a "Karen". Irregardless ... if you're "head over heels" for her don't worry, just be happy! Have you tried "mindfulness" or visualising her clean-shaven? Maybe you could get some other girlfriends and have some other women if things don't "work out" with your lover. Everything happens for a reason.



HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,937

16 Apr 2022, 2:12 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Have you tried "mindfulness" or visualising her clean-shaven?


I'm in the cosmic tangle of wifey's neckbeard, screaming like Charleton Heston on some future beach...



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 46,678

16 Apr 2022, 2:23 am

Don't take this the wrong way, but maybe it's reverse-sexism for you to speak up against beards.

With all due respect, but you should relax and get a good's night's sleep.

I'm autistic and I've had two strokes but I've had lots of lovers so you'll get more too.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,077
Location: temperate zone

16 Apr 2022, 5:25 pm

auntblabby wrote:
have your cake [IOW KEEP your cake without eating it] and eating it too are indeed contradictory, just not in a commonly understood way.


I guess that the saying was inspired by wedding cakes. Some folks like looking at their wedding cake so much that they want to keep it to look at. Hense the conflicted urges. Lol!