Did you ever get motion sickness while playing video games?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2022, 2:18 pm

when I was a teen I tried playing Call of Duty 3(I was interested in ww2 at the time which was the setting of the game), that game did give me motion sickness.

But I've tried a few first person games since then and seems some are just fine. So I guess it depends on the game.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2022, 2:31 pm

When colour monitors first came out, I couldn't keep my eyes open for them after ten minutes. I think that people have different brain frequencies. An amber LED is often achieved by rapidly cycling red and green. For some people, those flashes register if there is eye movement, and for others it stays amber.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 May 2022, 2:36 pm

Dear_one wrote:
When colour monitors first came out, I couldn't keep my eyes open for them after ten minutes. I think that people have different brain frequencies. An amber LED is often achieved by rapidly cycling red and green. For some people, those flashes register if there is eye movement, and for others it stays amber.
I wonder if those flashes ever triggered some seizures :?:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2022, 7:03 pm

Yes and it has got worse with age. First game that made me so sick I felt like puking and couldn't continue playing was Tell tales Borderlands game, I don't know what was with that game, maybe the narrow FOV. I don't even want to play consoles anymore because I really need to be able to adjust video settings in my games which mainly you can only do with games on PC. I immediately disable motion blur and depth of field with any game I start and increase the field of view. If I can't natively increase the FOV I will see if there are mods to do so. I also moved away from 60hz gaming(certainly not 30hz) to a 144hz display with Gsync. I sit reasonably far back from my monitor and make sure I always have the entire screen in my field of view.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 5:31 am

I can get them from any videos.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 6:14 am

No. But I get acrophobia (fear of heights) if there's something my character can fall of and die. But only if I don't want that to happen. There's been many times I've jumped to my death intentionally so I didn't have to spend time getting back down or just for the fun of it.

There was one auto feature that went up and down when on hilly terrain that I didn't like. I guess that made me kind of motion sick. More mentally than physically though.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 1:18 pm

Oh and I forgot head bobbing and camera shake, I hate those "features" of modern video games and disable it immediately if I can or I simply won't be able to play. Those really make me motion sick.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 1:28 pm

I would love to have almost all hand-held video run through a program to make all the motion as slow and smooth as possible. Video compression software already has the necessary data handy. In many situations, almost anyone could improve on the work of a selfie video instruction.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 1:44 pm

What do you mean "did"?

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 2:12 pm

I don’t, my mom does if the camera moves too quickly. I get something similar if I try to focus on anything like a book or a screen for more than a few minutes while riding in a car, but it’s mostly a headache that’s only slightly nauseating. I don’t remember ever getting it from anything else.

I also get acrophobia when trying not to fall in a game, and the same sort of feeling I do in reality if I do fall, but not if I’m not focusing on trying not to fall.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"