Did you ever get motion sickness while playing video games?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 2:56 pm

Did it ever happen to you?

I sometimes - very rarely but still - do experience motion sickness while playing games - like once when I was playing "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" - more precisely, the Heading Upriver chapter :eew: I instantly had to run to the toilet, where I vomited. Another time was when I was playing "Blair Witch" - I also vomited. I am just reading it does happen to some players - a thing I wasn't aware of until now. It happens only very rarely when I get a nausea while playing but still. Does anyone else have a similar problem, too?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 3:04 pm

Not motion sick, but if I'm tired I can find it overstimulating and start to detach and feel like my vision is much more passive (just kinda staring instead of actively looking around).

I've only gotten motion sick from inner head congestion that caused severe vertigo (felt like rapidly spinning on three axis at once); I've never gotten motion sick from real sensory input.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 3:30 pm

Oh, yes.
Ive never gotten to the vomiting stage but it makes me queasy and i have to lie down and not look at any screens for a while.
I get the same effect from bodycam footage and some videos.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 3:48 pm

No. I don't seem especially prone motion sickness even though I have the worst sense of balance ever and never learned to ride a bicycle or use a pogo stick, and can barely stand on a sturdy chair to change a light bulb. :?

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 4:22 pm

I was wondering if that's just an aspie thing (as in some sort of sensory overload?) and I checked it out on the net - and it turns out even neurotypical folks sometimes (well, quite often) deal with it. Weird. I used to suffer from a car sickness as a child/teen but while everybody knows one can deal with this kind of problem while driving, it seems practically no one knows about people having the same problem while playing games :roll: No one - but for those who are afflicted with this problem - not a serious one in my case but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPaI6Nvba1Q And this is the scene that once made me so sick - those rapid movements, eewww...

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 4:30 pm

The manual for Doom mentioned that some people might experience motion sickness and that was like 1994.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 4:45 pm

I have never played The Doom - I'm not into this sort of games; I played only "Super Columbine Massacre RPG!" - twice - a game, in which the Columbine killers fight the Doom-like monsters in hell, where they land after the massacre. But no, then I didn't experience any sort of the motion sickness, while playing this.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 5:17 pm

I get the same symptoms. With Minecraft. Just Minecraft.
Cannot last for 10 minutes without feeling queasy and weird in the head.

I was wondering if it's the camera, the graphics, those tiny movements on and around with the cursor, or all of it.

Yet I have no issues just watching the game, with someone else playing for hours.
The same can be said with other games I had played before.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 6:35 pm

No. It's called simulator sickness. It'll be from the visual system from my basic knowledge of these things due to the fact the visual sensory inputs make it feel like the body is moving but it isn't, so a mismatch occurs (the other systems involved in balance are touch/proprioception and ear/vestibular). Car sickness is somewhat related IIRC.

I do have vestibular damage in my right ear from one too many very loud things close to my head, which causes dizziness and balance issues (I'll fall over under certain conditions and there's not much I can do there), but it doesn't seem to bother it, and IIRC, it might even make it less likely to occur (mine is a mismatch between each ear, so maybe not).

Last edited by Dillogic on 18 Mar 2022, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 6:40 pm

I got a bit of motion/simulator sickness watching movies in 4k at first, using 55" as a monitor/nearfield.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 6:47 pm

Yeah 3-D simulators using VR goggles gives me nausea. I hope they can continue working on the motion-change-depth perception aspect ratio in future iterations of this technology.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Mar 2022, 8:41 pm

I used to get motion sickness sometimes as a kid & I vomited more than a few times. I still occasionally feel queasy when ridding in a fast bus with sudden stops or fast driving on hills. There are times playing vid-games when I felt & still feel kinda weird like when falling & there are times when the screen angles & pixels are kinda disorienting & I'd guess that it's probably very minor motion sickness.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 9:35 pm

The_Znof wrote:
I got a bit of motion/simulator sickness watching movies in 4k at first, using 55" as a monitor/nearfield.

I'm 27 inches away from a 44 inch screen. 8)

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 3:08 pm

My NT father is not comfortable with any 3D games.
If you have this reaction with certain games, try turning off the Vertical synchronization option. Or a message on the relevant game forum will give you a hint.
Most games don't bother me. There was one game that made my head spin, and when I changed the settings, it improved.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2022, 7:54 pm

I once tested a prototype arcade game for stock car racing with 180 deg screens and lots of chair motion in all directions. All my senses agreed, and I didn't get sick. Apart from that, I don't play video games, but I can get bad motion sickness just from hand-held video, in-car cameras, or trying to read while riding in a car.

theidealist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 May 2022, 10:59 am

Never and I've been playing since I was 4. Also it didn't happen when I used to have a bigger monitor. Now I'm learning to drive and thank God there's no reaction from my ear labyrinth.

EQ - 22.3
INTJ 1w9