Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 7:51 pm

Why Aspergers can make people young, mentally young? I’m talking about transferring back into a child.

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Mar 2022, 10:32 pm

:!: :!: :!: My "form" of Aspie-ness just never lets me get dull, down and morbid (or old). It's been a constant, quiotic, playful, surprising, and irreverant "smile," that's always there. ASD is way too large. HFC misses my fun. AS is too bland and off center. Aspie fits just right :wink: :!:

Awedfellow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Mar 2022, 10:45 pm

I'm not sure I understand the question, but:

Personally, I have always felt young mentally,
I feel like I have all the time in the world to keep putting the pieces of the puzzle together, even while constantly being aware that I am 72 and my time is short.
I am constantly optimistic, I guess because our species is reprogrammable. All we have to do is figure out what is necessary, and change our program.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 11:18 am

There is talk that children have brain elasticity, and apparently ASD adults do too relative to NT peers. At age 50 I am still thrilled (like a child) by stimuli (across all senses) ----- which sets me apart from the "mature" adults. Apparently being cool and adult-like is being nonreactive, so I am very uncool and childish. I still clap my hands with excitement and even my more reserved ASD BFF will flap her hands with excitement (albeit less often). "Mature" (NT) adults regulate emotions, communication, etc. and I don't do that so much. I'll still talk too much (or too little, emote too much (or too little) --- like a "child". When I substitute teach I am play alongside the children whenever I can. Being an adult is a bore (and overwhelming). The world is still full of wonder for me.

Awedfellow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2022, 3:06 pm

SharonB wrote:
There is talk that children have brain elasticity, and apparently ASD adults do too relative to NT peers. At age 50 I am still thrilled (like a child) by stimuli (across all senses) ----- which sets me apart from the "mature" adults. Apparently being cool and adult-like is being nonreactive, so I am very uncool and childish. I still clap my hands with excitement and even my more reserved ASD BFF will flap her hands with excitement (albeit less often). "Mature" (NT) adults regulate emotions, communication, etc. and I don't do that so much. I'll still talk too much (or too little, emote too much (or too little) --- like a "child". When I substitute teach I am play alongside the children whenever I can. Being an adult is a bore (and overwhelming). The world is still full of wonder for me.

I'm glad you emote ;-) because I am rather deadpan, at least my face is; my mind will be soaring through the possibilities while my face does nothing - although my face has gotten better connected as I aged. It doesn't do me any good since I can't see it :-) but it lets other people know that my engine is still running.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2022, 9:51 pm

Awedfellow wrote:
...It doesn't do me any good since I can't see it :-) but it lets other people know that my engine is still running.

LOL. I can have flat-affect (deadpan) no matter what I am feeling. I can be grinning from ear-to-ear no matter what I am feeling. Often I have so many and big feelings. Really: how is a face to show all that?! In critical situations, I have learned to explain what I am feeling... "despite my smile (or lack thereof)... I am..." Albeit, like my facial expressions, my verbal expression can be ON (nonstop) or OFF (mute).

By the time I am 108, I am going to be a pro at all this ------or I just won't care. :wink:

Awedfellow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2022, 1:22 am

SharonB wrote:
Awedfellow wrote:
...It doesn't do me any good since I can't see it :-) but it lets other people know that my engine is still running.

LOL. I can have flat-affect (deadpan) no matter what I am feeling. I can be grinning from ear-to-ear no matter what I am feeling. Often I have so many and big feelings. Really: how is a face to show all that?! In critical situations, I have learned to explain what I am feeling... "despite my smile (or lack thereof)... I am..." Albeit, like my facial expressions, my verbal expression can be ON (nonstop) or OFF (mute).

By the time I am 108, I am going to be a pro at all this ------or I just won't care. :wink:

108 huh, well I'm glad you have set a goal ;-)
I'm not that hopeful for me :-) LOL

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 2:05 am

My face and body have aged,and yet it's hard on an emotional/maturity level to grasp that I'm 65.

http://mcpin.org/
https://www.mqmentalhealth.org/

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 133 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 4:53 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
Why Aspergers can make people young, mentally young? I’m talking about transferring back into a child.

I think NTs find a lot of our interests or demeanor "immature." But, I feel the same about their affect--facial expression and vocal inflection mostly feel childish to me.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 8:02 am

Kitty4670 wrote:

I am 73 years old but if you look deep inside me I am still a young child. In a sense I am like Peter Pan. Most people will transition from childhood to adulthood at around age 10 to 12 years in males. When I hit this age, my whole world fell apart. I attribute this to a brain injury around the age of 3 or 4 when I was attack by a bull and almost died. I suspect that it severely damaged the left side of my brain. My right side of my brain took over and I became a different person than most people in this world. Eventually my left side came back on line and switched places within my brain.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 10:05 am

jimmy m wrote:
...I attribute this to a brain injury around the age of 3 or 4 when I was attack by a bull and almost died. I suspect that it severely damaged the left side of my brain. My right side of my brain took over and I became a different person than most people in this world. Eventually my left side came back on line and switched places within my brain.

What an interesting healing experience you've had. I imagine there would be similarities out there, but many people are not aware.

I have a spatial sense of certain concepts. In my mediation many positive images are on the right and negative a touch left of center... cultural? physical? Rarely is anything far left. I might explore that.

Awedfellow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2022, 2:22 pm

When I'm around NT men I feel like I'm back on the school playground again, there is so much competition in them.

Are aspies competitive? I've never been aware of being around other aspies. I have assumed not. I know when I worked in my chosen field, it was more like playtime. But under no circumstances do I ever remember being competitive.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 6:35 pm

When everything gets to be toooo much for me to handle & I get sooo overwhelmed, my brain can shut off & I literally become a child in an adult body, I feel like a child, act like one, I get soooo scared, feel alone, feel abandoned, hysterically crying & feeling like there no hope.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2022, 2:16 pm

I'm 31 and after reading the theory that people on the spectrum
have the mental capacity 2/3 their physical age, I behave more like someone who is barely in his college years.

31/2-3= 21

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2022, 3:47 pm

LOL - so according to that formula at 50, I act like I am 30. Possibly. :D ... and at 108, I will act like I am 70... maybe... time will tell. :wink:

Socially I am deferential to NT friends my age. That seems to support that theory: I am less deferential to younger NT friends: my "equals".