Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2022, 1:44 pm

If you are "reincarnated" and don't have any memories of your previous life, what exactly is being reincarnated?

Sounds like a futile mind game such as imagining your "consciousness" going somewhere after death.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2022, 2:20 pm

Reincarnation sounds scary. It looks like you don't have any more control over what your next life will be than you do if you only have one life. You could be reborn to really horrible and abusive parents, or in a country ravaged by war or third-world problems, or as someone a debilitating disease. Or you might even be reborn as a mosquito. Or something that's extinct. :)

And if any of this is some kind of punishment for something you did in your past life, what's the point if you don't remember any of it?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2022, 4:11 pm

Maybe if more people believed in reincarnation we'd be trying harder to avoid climate change.

TechnoMathPunk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jun 2022, 5:45 pm

old_comedywriter wrote:
If you are "reincarnated" and don't have any memories of your previous life, what exactly is being reincarnated?

Sounds like a futile mind game such as imagining your "consciousness" going somewhere after death.

It is indeed a highly futile and irrational idea.

I reject any ideas of any sort of cosmic retribution. Why would any thing that gets reincarnated stick to this planet and not just vanish into the vastness of space, time, higher, lower dimensions, be carried away by some form of wavelength?

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2022, 4:37 am

The Buddhist idea (at least the Tibetan version) is not that some random or retribution process leads to the type of life you are reincarnated into. Rather you choose your own reincarnation. In the Tibetan book of the dead, the final stage of navigating the "bardo" or gap between dying and being reborn, is seeing couples copulating and choosing your next parents. So it's the authentic self that is setting up the drama for its coming life.

I dont believe that anymore. But it is an interesting concept. I do believe that much of life is following some kind of "program" the self has for processing reality. Much of life is also completely random too. I am interested in the idea that our perception of our unconscious life shapes things like the belief systems we come up with. We come up with systems to explain to ourselves those parts of life we cannot control. And those systems reflect something about how we are inside. Of course, to see that one has to be able to drop the beliefs first.

UltraViolet240422
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jun 2022, 3:59 pm

That must be why I like Latin. And lighting people on fire.