Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

KaleidoscopicMagpie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Mar 2022, 7:01 am

Hi,

Does anyone take Venlafaxine (Effexor)?
I struggle to remember to take my medication.
I definitely forgot yesterday, but I don't know whether I forgot the day before that too.
Anyway, I have taken them today, and my brain feels even more messed up - I call it 'brain zaps' because it feels like my brain is getting electric shocks, especially if I look left to right. Pretty sure this is a withdrawal symptom, so I'm not sure why it is worse now that I've taken my medication, as I thought that would make it better. I had a stomach upset yesterday, probably didn't cook my dinner well enough I don't know. That probably doesn't have much to do with it.

So has anyone else experienced this? Do you know any ways of making the brain zaps stop? I'm finding it quite debilitating at the moment :( and now I'm anxious in case I can't go to work tomorrow. I have to go to work, because I know I won't be backfilled if I call in sick and my class and my teacher and the other TA will struggle without me. And now I feel guilty for not being a better human and just remembering to take my medication in the first place.

And now I'm having a total meltdown about my lack of function and not being able to ask anyone for help because if they knew how I am behaving now they would think I am insane and can't do my job. And I hate that every time I come here I am in crisis and not able to contribute and help others. I'm so sorry. I think I will call the crisis team because I'm so upset I think I'm going to be sick and I can't I hate being sick. It all looks fine when I type I can type perfectly whilst crying my eyes out and making panicked repetitive noises and trying to focus so hard on not biting myself.

Oh f*****g hell the number has changed. I don't know the new number.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 9:35 am

I used to take effexor about 20 years ago. I actually overdosed on it and then stopped taking it. Yes there are some weird side effects with it. Maybe because I took well over the prescribed amount and then when I was withdrawing it was just really strange.

I had those brain zap things with another antidepressant as well but I can't remember which one....oh it was sertraline. I used to always forget to take it and in the end I just gave up altogether.

KaleidoscopicMagpie

20 Mar 2022, 10:27 am

Thanks. I had the same thing with a previous medication, escitalopram. I think it must be an SSRI thing. Anyway, my meds must have kicked in because it has stopped, and I made it through my meltdown without hurting myself. I'm OK again now.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 10:37 am

Aw that's great news

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 10:49 am

Many stores carry inexpensive weekly 7 day pill organizers to store your medication in. They are very beneficial in keeping track of your medicines.

KaleidoscopicMagpie

20 Mar 2022, 11:00 am

babybird wrote:
Aw that's great news

Thank you :)

KaleidoscopicMagpie

20 Mar 2022, 11:01 am

jimmy m wrote:
Many stores carry inexpensive weekly 7 day pill organizers to store your medication in. They are very beneficial in keeping track of your medicines.

Thanks. I have two of these. They are helpful when I remember to fill them up. Or where they are... I wonder if I might have ADHD as well as autism, but I'm certainly not what you'd call hyperactive.