Great article in Salon about Putin and the US GOP

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 12:48 pm

Don’t be fooled: The GOP love affair with Putin is worse than it looks

Quote:
In a speech on Wednesday, Putin denounced "national traitors" who are supposedly undermining the war on Ukraine, saying that "real" Russians will "always be able to distinguish true patriots from scum and traitors." This is the man so many of today's Republicans idolize. That should make clear how dangerous to American democracy and society they truly are.

One take away from this might be that Trump could be legitimately accused of being a war criminal which would mean that he could be called to appear before the International Court of Justice in The Hague to face charges.

It's probably illegal for the US Government to allow US citizens to be extradited on that basis, but perhaps it would marginalize his supporters to the extent that their influence would no longer pose a threat to Americans.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 1:06 pm

The dozen or two Republicans I know in person, even the couple of what I call 'rabid Trump fans', haven't during the decades or years I've known them offered any evidence they thought Putin was a wonderful sample of humanity; one or two of them, and I, have called Putin "a wonderful sample of humanity" sarcastically.
Maybe it makes a difference that a fair number of those Republicans are either veterans or veterans' spouses & they do not and would not trust Putin as far as they could throw the Kremlin.

Now, granted, those two dozen people are nowhere near the total number of Republicans in the US, and I'm not on social media, and therefore not in Republican spaces on social media, so, I'll admit that I look at news about Republicans liking Putin and go, "Huh? What? Where is that coming from???"

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 1:11 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
The dozen or two Republicans I know in person, even the couple of what I call 'rabid Trump fans', haven't during the decades or years I've known them offered any evidence they thought Putin was a wonderful sample of humanity; one or two of them, and I, have called Putin "a wonderful sample of humanity" sarcastically.
Maybe it makes a difference that a fair number of those Republicans are either veterans or veterans' spouses & they do not and would not trust Putin as far as they could throw the Kremlin.

Now, granted, those two dozen people are nowhere near the total number of Republicans in the US, and I'm not on social media, and therefore not in Republican spaces on social media, so, I'll admit that I look at news about Republicans liking Putin and go, "Huh? What? Where is that coming from???"

It's Republican ideologues and True Believers not the average American who usually votes Republican.

I suppose to read an article like that you have to understands that it's written from that point of view.