A lengthy self-introduction to find deep communication

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 4:38 pm

Hello everyone.

I've actually interacted a few times, but now I feel like maybe introducing myself more systematically will get to the point faster.

I'm from China with an ADHD diagnosis and an ASD evaluation is making an appointment. I rarely use English internet. Without slang or rare words, I can read English very slowly, but it is impossible to make my own sentences. So I basically use software translation to communicate.

I am looking for people from different cultural backgrounds who are willing to exchange knowledge, experience and insights. This exchange may be high frequency.
My main interest is historical or fantasy novels in a similar ancient European setting (like DND), including reading and writing, and all possible knowledge needed in writing, such as European facts and religion.
It's hard to find this kind of information on the Chinese Internet, and some are less formal or time-sensitive, such as the impression of a person's name or an allusion. I'm hoping to trade my knowledge for some advice.

English speakers have better sources of information than Chinese speakers, so I'm not sure what knowledge I have would be particularly valuable. I hope here is what someone else needs:
1. Chinese people seem to be a rare attribute in WP. If you are interested in politics or Chinese culture: I have observed various groups on the Chinese Internet extensively, and I have a fairly comprehensive understanding of Chinese folk politics and subcultures.
2. Can roughly classify vertebrates (except fish :| ) and insects.
3. Bachelor's degree in Landscape Architecture, coming soon, at a decent university. But I am not a good college student. So don't have high expectations.
4. Computer games. Writing down all the games I play is a horrible project (so ADHD). If you like pan-strategy games or CRPGs, there is a high probability that we will have the same hobby.
5. Approximately equivalent to the psychiatric knowledge of an undergraduate clinical medical student. I studied textbooks, and received oral instruction from a licensed psychiatrist, but no assessment or internship.
6. Some weird recipes. :wink:
7. Three very very very cute cats. I have a lot of photos to share. :P

It is a joy to use my knowledge,experience or insights to benefit others in my spare time.Any inquiries are also welcome. :D

Also, can someone tell me what features my English usage looks like. I tried my best to adjust the sentences according to English grammar. Most are done in software. I don't have the ability to censor myself.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Last edited by SkinnedWolf on 20 Mar 2022, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 4:58 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 5:03 pm

Welcome to WP! And I think that—with the knowledge that English is difficult for you and you are using software to translate—your English should serve its purpose here.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 5:17 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Welcome to WP! And I think that—with the knowledge that English is difficult for you and you are using software to translate—your English should serve its purpose here.

I am sorry. "purpose" is a confusing word. There are two possible interpretations of the sentence according to the dictionary:
A. You would like me to use English myself.
B. You would like my article to have a summary.
Which one is closer to what you mean, or neither? :(

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 5:22 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

I am sorry. "purpose" is a confusing word. There are two possible interpretations of the sentence according to the dictionary:
A. You would like me to use English myself.
B. You would like my article to have a summary.
Which one is closer to what you mean, or neither? :(
Not A and not B. I mean it will do what you want it to do: allow you communicate with others.

Your signature block says "I use English with the help of translation software and apologize for all possible misunderstandings." I think it is a good thing to have that there. I hope people will be less fussy about your English when they know that.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 5:41 pm

Double Retired wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

I mean it will do what you want it to do: allow you communicate with others.

Your signature block says "I use English with the help of translation software and apologize for all possible misunderstandings." I think it is a good thing to have that there. I hope people will be less fussy about your English when they know that.

Thank you, it cheered me up. :D

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2022, 11:04 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

I must warn you, "fun" is verboten (forbidden) here. <joke> :mrgreen:

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2022, 11:13 pm

Pepe wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

really?
In my experience, playing Paradox Interactive's games is an activity done by people in their twenties.
I must warn you,you should have Age-appropriate behaviour here.

Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 2:51 am

Welcome!

I'm an architect (designing buildings, usually not landscapes) and I did two projects in the central Chinese city of Zhengzhou. My first project (an office building) didn't get built, but they are building my interior design as we speak.
Have you been to Zhengzhou? What is your opinion of the Henan area? What do you think of contemporary Chinese architecture, in general?

I live and work in Tokyo, so I've only been to business trips to mainland China. I like Chinese food. We had an expensive carp for dinner once, loved it.

Unfortunately my life is quite busy so I don't have time for deep conversations, but I just wanted to drop by this thread and say hi.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 3:01 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

really?
In my experience, playing Paradox Interactive's games is an activity done by people in their twenties.
I must warn you,you should have Age-appropriate behaviour here.

Look at my signature. 8)
Quote:
Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 6:58 am

1986 wrote:
Welcome!

I'm an architect (designing buildings, usually not landscapes) and I did two projects in the central Chinese city of Zhengzhou. My first project (an office building) didn't get built, but they are building my interior design as we speak.
Have you been to Zhengzhou? What is your opinion of the Henan area? What do you think of contemporary Chinese architecture, in general?

I live and work in Tokyo, so I've only been to business trips to mainland China. I like Chinese food. We had an expensive carp for dinner once, loved it.

Unfortunately my life is quite busy so I don't have time for deep conversations, but I just wanted to drop by this thread and say hi.

The train I travel on passes through Henan very frequently, but I never get off at Henan.
My impression of Henan is that it has a large population but no merits worth mentioning. I'm sorry I don't have any special knowledge about Henan. I asked my friend, which should represent most Chinese people's impression of Henan. I once had a netizen from Henan. One of my college roommates is from Henan. But we rarely mention our hometown.
Henan is a place full of suffering since ancient times. There are many plains there, suitable for farming, but the floods of the Yellow River and various wars have plagued the people there.
A thousand years ago, Henan used to be highly prosperous. It is one of the origins of the Han nationality. With the changing climate and changing economic policies, Henan is no longer the center.
Twenty years ago, discrimination between regions was prevalent in China. As one of the objects of discrimination, Henan people are considered to be good at stealing.
There are no good universities in Henan. Numerous Henan people experience more brutal competition in the Gaokao than other regions, which means that when you meet a Henan person in the same university, he is likely to have better test scores.
Henan suffered a severe flood in 2021, affecting more than 10 million people. That was quite a painful disaster.
high population. not developed enough. This is a Chinese view of Henan.

Landscape architecture is divided into three factions in China: Architecture, Agroforestry, and Art. I'm from an
Agroforestry university, so I don't have as much architectural knowledge as my peer.
Academically, my experience is based on landscape architecture. In China, landscape architecture theory is not as complete as architectural theory. The research within the niche is fascinating. But cutting-edge papers on holistic concepts are, IMHO, closer to some sort of immature social science or religious studies than engineering. Our landscape architecture education is also very immature, perhaps my university has invested too much experimental part in our teaching. I've heard that students at slightly lower-ranked universities have more solid learning content. These regrets are most likely due to the struggle between different factions of our discipline.
As an industry, Chinese architecture practitioners, especially the younger ones, are facing a crisis. That's why I gave up my further studies in architecture. In China's past urbanization, there has been a lot of demand for architecture, which has brought rich orders and rewards for practitioners. But with more and more enrollments in architecture, and the end of urbanization, that's no longer the case. I've heard that, although not as extreme, construction industry practitioners in developed countries face similar problems. Chinese design institutes must disregard the interests of designers and accept orders with the lowest possible price and the tightest deadline possible. China's labor laws are not enforced. Under these conditions, Chinese low-level architectural designers have working hours that are close to human limits, and meager salaries. And there is very little hope of promotion. Young people flee from architecture. The quality of the design is also very insecure.
I used to have a lot of passion for architecture, but under the constant grind of coursework that forced me to stay up late,it disappeared.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 10:00 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet. We are a variety of people spread across many countries. Many of us are different that others ADHD, ASD or as I refer to myself as Aspies (short for Asperger's Syndrome). In a way, we walk our own path in life. How does China treat those who are ADHD or ASDs. In a way Aspies think differently than NTs. And sometimes that gives us distinct advantages.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 8:04 pm

jimmy m wrote:
How does China treat those who are ADHD or ASDs.

"treat" has many dictionary meanings. Answering this question would take a lot of space. I'm not sure how much of the information below is what you need.

China's attitude towards developmental disabilities is in line with its economic level.
Most Chinese have a very stereotyped understanding of autism or ADHD in children. Few Chinese have heard of ADHD in adults or autism spectrum disorder .
Medical resources focus on minors and low-functioning autism. Diagnosis in adults is in its infancy.
My experience is based on mainland China. Hong Kong and Taiwan have better conditions.

In the policy system:
1. The Teacher Certification Exam will involve how to recognize ADHD. However, the standards used are very outdated.
2. Currently only typical autism can be identified as a disability.
3. All kinds of disorders can enter special schools, but such special schools are not found in all areas.
4. Life with a typical autism will be hard. As children, they can be accommodated in special schools or orphanages, and as old people, they can be accommodated in nursing homes. But a typical autistic person with an age in between is hard to get help.
In 2010, a Chinese film based on true events told the story of a single father with cancer and his 21-year-old autistic son. The father was so desperate that he tried to take his son to suicide, and was lucky enough to have his son's former teacher adopt him. The story reflects the government's dereliction of duty. The approval of such films means that the government is trying to improve the problem. I'm not tracking the progress of this issue.

5. The medicine for ADHD, methylphenidate, was once very cheap and readily available, which contributed to medicine abuse. It is now regulated as "addictive or narcotic medicine" and most psychiatrists do not have the authority to prescribe it. Only confirmed patients can hold it. Any private deal would face an offense equivalent to drug trafficking.

In the healthcare system:
Refers to public health care. China does not have a well-developed private medical system.
1. If a patient has never heard of ASD/ADHD: Children are quickly identified, but adults not much likely to know the truth.
Developmental disorders occupy very little space in psychiatry textbooks. Only paediatric-psychiatry will further learn about developmental disabilities. It is very rare that an adult-psychiatrist or psychological counselor consider whether an adult suffers from ASD/ADHD.

2. If a patient suspects he has ASD/ADHD: Getting a diagnosis is inexpensive, but making an appointment is difficult.
Pediatrics - Psychiatrists are in short supply in China, and most hospitals do not allow adults to seek them. And only they can diagnose. This is a paradox. A few hospitals have improved this.
A list circulates in the ASD/ADHD online community of which hospitals can get a diagnosis. This is not a very long list.
All of the above are improving rapidly.

3. If a patient needs ADHD-related medications: There are limited types of medications. Taking methylphenidate costs more than $100 a month and cannot be paid for by Medicare. Only those core cities will have methylphenidate.
Amphetamines are completely banned in China. Psychiatrists only offer atomoxetine and methylphenidate.
After being monopolized by the state, the price of methylphenidate is obviously more than it should be.
The penalties for illegally dealing in methylphenidate are disproportionately severe.
The ADHDs online community is trying to push for change.

4. Behavioral therapy is very expensive. This part is done by private institutions. The current recommended program is Family Therapy: institutional complete early part, parent learning approach.
5. The hospital sometimes recruits volunteers to participate in the experiment of traditional Chinese medicine for the treatment of mental disorders. Maybe some desperate parents will choose this.
6. The diagnosis of adults is not so professional.
China used to have its own diagnostic criteria, CCMD, which has now stopped revising. ICD and DSM are used in combination in clinical practice. If a person has already been diagnosed with a more serious mental disorder such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, they will not be diagnosed with ASD/ADHD.
Many cutting-edge diagnostic tools are not used. ADOS was only conducted in one hospital and was recently stopped due to the pandemic.

In culture:
1. The abbreviation for autism in Chinese is ambiguous, which affects public perception.
Autism has two translations in Chinese. One is "loneliness-disorder" and the other is "self-closed-disorder". The former is used in academics and the latter is used in informal situations.
"self-closed" is short for "self-closed-disorder" , but it also has two other meanings: A. Describes a person who is very introverted;B. Describes a person in a bad mood and doesn't want to socialize with others.
It is difficult to test whether these meanings come from the Chinese language itself or the introduction of the concept of autism, but obviously this can lead to some misunderstandings.

2. Old-fashioned people doubt the entire psychiatric system. They do not believe that psychiatric drugs should be taken by patients unless the mental disorder is so obvious that it affects intelligence.
3. Adult ASD/ADHDs have online communities. There are several people working to spread the knowledge on various social media. Important information in English will be translated into Chinese. The online community has guidelines for medical treatment for each hospital.
A socially responsible Aspies, Ph.D. in neurology from the University of California, has the greatest influence among Chinese ASDs. In recent years, she has been receiving free ASD-related counseling and sorting out medical treatment guidelines.

4. ASD/ADHDs in social media sometimes obsessively wonder if a member is masquerading as ASD/ADHDs.
Getting a diagnosis is difficult. Most members will not have a formal diagnosis.
In the past, some psychological counselors had unobjective publicity about mental disorders. This has led some teens to try to masquerade as depression or bipolar to avoid school, or to show their uniqueness. Now they have Asperger as a new target.
Perhaps this suspicion is justified. Sometimes after Aspies share their feelings, some members will claim that they are actually autistic and therefore ineligible to represent Aspies.

I don't know very well what happens to children with autism, so I borrowed from a practicing psychiatrist I trust:
Quote:
The children of the rich have only the "child of the stars" or normal; the children of the poor have only normal or mentally ret*d.

"Child of the stars" is a warm Chinese term for autism, a child from another planet.
He hinted that economic conditions can have a big impact. And some wealthy parents would pursue having an intellectual disability diagnosed as autism, for comfort, perhaps.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2022, 7:18 am

welcome, glad you are here! I enjoy learning and view gathering of knowledge as a form of recreation too.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Kanashiihawk21
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 May 2022, 6:36 pm

Welcome!
My apologies for the late "Hello" but welcome, welcome!
Warmly,
Jackie

Sigi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 May 2022, 8:30 pm

Hi and welcome. I do t know much about China but I know some stuff about Irish mythology if you're interested in that