A lengthy self-introduction to find deep communication

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2022, 1:28 am

Sigi wrote:
Hi and welcome. I do t know much about China but I know some stuff about Irish mythology if you're interested in that

The banshees and druids of Irish/Celtic mythology have had many influences on gaming pop culture. I used to have an obsession with druids. :oops:
I'm curious how much place Badhbh or other crows/ravens have in Irish culture, are they widely known to Irish culture lovers?

Insular Christianity is something I'm interested in learning about. I got the impression from a historical simulation video game that "Insular Christianity has some connection to polygamy".
I wonder if this is a compromise of Christianity in the Irish region to the local ancient culture, or a compromise to the demographic conditions of the time? Or in fact Insular Christianit itself still rejects polygamy and the two systems operate independently of each other?

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Sigi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 May 2022, 10:09 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Sigi wrote:
Hi and welcome. I do t know much about China but I know some stuff about Irish mythology if you're interested in that

The banshees and druids of Irish/Celtic mythology have had many influences on gaming pop culture. I used to have an obsession with druids. :oops:
I'm curious how much place Badhbh or other crows/ravens have in Irish culture, are they widely known to Irish culture lovers?

Insular Christianity is something I'm interested in learning about. I got the impression from a historical simulation video game that "Insular Christianity has some connection to polygamy".
I wonder if this is a compromise of Christianity in the Irish region to the local ancient culture, or a compromise to the demographic conditions of the time? Or in fact Insular Christianit itself still rejects polygamy and the two systems operate independently of each other?

I've heard different things, more people seem to know about morrigan rather than babdh. And I've seen them described as a goddess who had them as helpers or that she transformed into a raven herself. She was mostly connected to battlefields in any case. Not widely known compared to our other myths, I never learnt anything about them in school, mostly books I read myself in my free time. The popular stories most people would know are ones about the Fianna, tir na nOg, the salmon of knowledge, the children of lir and Queen Meave.

There's a lot of uncertainty about the early stages of Christianity, we only really have what the monks wrote down at the time. But at school we were taught that Irish people generally just added god to their collection of god's and slowly converted over the years. Polygamy doesn't seem to have been practiced much even before Christianity. But people did send kids to be raised by other families, to strengthen bonds and learn trades, this was called fostering.