Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2022, 5:10 pm

I'm doing my best to save up money to get a decent used car, and to take care of some medical bills before I try to get on the list for income based housing. I don't know if I can take much more of how i've been living lately though. My stepdad's bipolar and picks fights over the stupidest stuff like bread or if I washed my hands or not when I did, i'm sick of being treated like I'm a idiot by him and my mom. Like today I got called into work last minute so I didn't have time to even eat lunch. I was gonna eat when I got home originally but he picked a fight with me over something stupid so I went up to my room to get away from him before I lost my temper. My mom just stood there and watched this all happen i'm getting sick of living like this. I can't even do anything on the internet without him throwing a fit and turning off the router if hes watching a show and thinks i'm slowing it down. I'm literally crying right now because I can't take living like this.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2022, 12:09 am

angelofdarkness wrote:
I'm doing my best to save up money to get a decent used car, and to take care of some medical bills before I try to get on the list for income based housing. I don't know if I can take much more of how i've been living lately though. My stepdad's bipolar and picks fights over the stupidest stuff like bread or if I washed my hands or not when I did, i'm sick of being treated like I'm a idiot by him and my mom. Like today I got called into work last minute so I didn't have time to even eat lunch. I was gonna eat when I got home originally but he picked a fight with me over something stupid so I went up to my room to get away from him before I lost my temper. My mom just stood there and watched this all happen i'm getting sick of living like this. I can't even do anything on the internet without him throwing a fit and turning off the router if hes watching a show and thinks i'm slowing it down. I'm literally crying right now because I can't take living like this.

So then why not just get yourself on the list now so you know that a change is in the works and then leave as soon as something comes available? Chances are there's a significant wait list from what I've read about others' experiences with these things, so you'd likely have time to pay off medical bills, save money, and buy a cheap car before your housing spot comes up. Why do those things first before getting on the list?

Annnnd if things are truly that bad that you can't take living like this, there are other options. There are shelters and safe homes for abused women. You could reach out to a few in your area and keep asking questions until you get a referral to one that has a bed for you and then just walk out the door with the clothes on your back and never return. Pack and take what possessions you can, but holding onto material things isn't worth your life if you're literally at your breaking point.

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2022, 9:05 am

goldfish21 wrote:
angelofdarkness wrote:

So then why not just get yourself on the list now so you know that a change is in the works and then leave as soon as something comes available? Chances are there's a significant wait list from what I've read about others' experiences with these things, so you'd likely have time to pay off medical bills, save money, and buy a cheap car before your housing spot comes up. Why do those things first before getting on the list?

Annnnd if things are truly that bad that you can't take living like this, there are other options. There are shelters and safe homes for abused women. You could reach out to a few in your area and keep asking questions until you get a referral to one that has a bed for you and then just walk out the door with the clothes on your back and never return. Pack and take what possessions you can, but holding onto material things isn't worth your life if you're literally at your breaking point.

That's the thing even if there's a shelter here, they only keep you for a month or two before you're turned out for someone else, i couldn't find a apartment that I can afford to pay on my own making 9.24/hour, besides the income based rent. I probably have too much in my account right now to even get on the list as I have a little over 6,000 saved I know that's too much for food stamps so I'd assume the same of section 8 and the like. I also have a cat that if I can I absolutely want to take with me, even if there'd be a fight about her.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 10:22 am

Get a roommate and split the rent. Rent only a room in shared accommodation with others. $9.24/hr isn’t a very high income, acknowledged, but according to your profile location you don’t exactly live in a booming coast city where apartments cost thousands.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 10:33 am

I'm sorry you're going through this crap with your stepfather.

I know the opportunities for income are rather limited in the land of Punxsutawney Phil. Pennsylvania is a very scenic place----but, outside of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, the opportunities for decent wages are pretty limited.

How would you feel about living in Indiana, PA? The rents there seem decent----mostly under $700 a month.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 11:38 am

You're close enough I can throw him down a flight of stairs for you, if you'd like. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 12:00 pm

angelofdarkness wrote:

I think the best thing to do with people like that is learn how disarm him by responding and not reacting.

Tell him something like "No comment" or "You certainly have a right to your opinion and your feelings. In the mean time, I am going to go do xyz." In the mean time do not engage with him because he lives in his own world.

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2022, 8:09 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
angelofdarkness wrote:

I think the best thing to do with people like that is learn how disarm him by responding and not reacting.

It just makes him madder is what concerns me

Tell him something like "No comment" or "You certainly have a right to your opinion and your feelings. In the mean time, I am going to go do xyz." In the mean time do not engage with him because he lives in his own world.