Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 4:45 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The smell inside a car is from the upholstery.

NEW cars have always had that [what most folks consider to be] pleasant "new car smell". You can even buy sprays to maintain that smell.

But no. The smell has nothing to do with gasoline. Dont even know what the smell is that would have caused your childhood self to vomit. Maybe cigarette smell? Old (by 'old' I mean more than 72 hours away from the dealership) cars dont really have any particular smell in my experience. Am frankly baffled as to what you could be talking about.

Those were definitely old cars since I am talking about late 80s or early 90s.

And no that wasn’t cigarette smell at all. The cigarette smell would never make me vomit.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 5:06 pm

So, who wants some COVID-flavoured ice cream? :mrgreen:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 6:10 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
So, who wants some COVID-flavoured ice cream? :mrgreen:

Actually thats doable :) Find someone who had covid-related taste distortions for a while and then recovered. So ask that person, based on their current taste (which is reliable since they recovered) to do just the right proportion of ingredients to match what they USED TO FEEL back when they had that taste distortion.

Have more than one recovered volunteer to help you out to get a large enough sample.

Once you got an idea what the recepy is, you can print it out and distribute it among everyone (regardless of whether they had covid or not) and that way everyone can prepare such ice creams (or other dishes for that matter).

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 10:03 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I know that its hard to describe a flavor, but ...is it possible to describe this "covid taste"?

Nutty, fruity, 'a chemical taste', or like that?

Most people describe it as "chemical" in nature.

QFT wrote:
I read some people say it smells like gasolin. My first reaction was "I *wish* it was gasolin since I don't mind the smell of the busy road that much but its not that". But am I right in assuming that gasoline is how busy road smells? Or does gasolin smell in some other way?

Gasoline and car exhaust are two completely different smells.

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2022, 11:48 pm

COVID-19 isn’t the only thing that distorts taste. When I first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, the first medication I was prescribed was Glucophage (aka Metformin). I’m still taking that medication to this day. Everything has a metallic taste. Since I’ve been taking it since the late 1980’s, I’ve pretty given up enjoying the taste of what limited diet (there are plenty of fruits and veggies I won’t even touch because I couldn’t handle the taste and/or texture.) Metformin hasn’t made it any better.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2022, 3:41 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm lucky. I had COVID---but it was just a "3-week flu." I never lost any of my senses. My appetite was poor for a week, though.

For me COVID was during 3 days. On the first day I was very tired. On day 2 and 3 fatigue was gone, but I had no energy. On day 4... actually there wasn't a 4th COVID day... the disease was gone. For me it is hardly a disease. I didn't even feel sick. I also have had a common cold a few times. That was really worse. I was in bed being sick. During COVID I was gaming with my laptop at a big table.

I am 55 years old male. I have asthma and am slightly overweighted. These are things that can make COVID more serious, but in my case it didn't. I was very mildly sick!

I didn't lose ability to smell and to taste. No headache, no fever, not even feeling really sick.