Ukrainian intelligence reveals plot to depose Vladimir Putin

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 5:06 am

Quote:
Ukrainian intelligence reveals plot to depose Vladimir Putin by Russia’s business, political elite amid destructive war

A plot to overthrow Vladimir Putin by Russia’s elites is underway, according to Ukrainian intelligence which has revealed the man earmarked to take over.

Russia’s business and political elite are plotting to remove Vladimir Putin from power and re-establish economic and diplomatic links with the West, according to Ukrainian intelligence.

A Facebook post from the Chief Directorate of Intelligence of the Ministry of Defence of Ukraine revealed that there was a plan to depose the Russian strongman “as soon as possible” as Western sanctions begin to take their toll on the country’s economy.

“A group of influential people in opposition to Vladimir Putin is being formed among the Russian business and political elite,” the Facebook post said.

“Their goal is to remove Putin from power as soon as possible and restore economic ties with the West, which were destroyed by the war in Ukraine.”

https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/u ... erallPos=5

If true, why would Ukraine intelligence let the bear out of the bag? :scratch:

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 5:34 am

To create fear and confusion and more paranoia in the Russian dictator and thereby weakening him.

If true, this is the most plausible of all the possible outcomes measured. It fits with Russian historical record.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 6:00 am

Probably.
But then again... in a war between former soviets, who knows what is truth and what is disinformation or propaganda?

I suspect Putin will be ousted soon... but perhaps my brain's been befuddled by western propaganda...?

Remind me again, does 2+2 equal 4 or 5?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Mar 2022, 6:14 am

I'm sure a lot of people are plotting to assassinate Putin.
I'm sure Putin knows it, too.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 6:15 am

blazingstar wrote:
To create fear and confusion and more paranoia in the Russian dictator and thereby weakening him.

If true, this is the most plausible of all the possible outcomes measured. It fits with Russian historical record.

I immediately came to that conclusion, also.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 6:20 am

You would think there was ample opportunity before

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Mar 2022, 6:22 am

cyberdad wrote:
You would think there was ample opportunity before
But not enough incentive before that war.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 10:20 am

"depose"...assassinate would be one way.

Ousting Putin appears to me to be the best possible solution in the current situation, whether he simply loses power or is forced to seek asylum in some other country or is assassinated. Then, hopefully, Putin's replacements stop the war, withdraw from the Ukraine, and blame it all on Putin. And it seems likely that if Putin is still alive he'll still have a lot of cash to live in luxury. Perhaps in Mar-a-Lago?

However...even if peace is restored...enormous harm has been done to the Russian economy. The rich oligarchs are inconvenienced and less rich but if they can get rid of the war and sanctions their lifestyle should recover reasonably well. The average Russian citizen's life will recover more slowly.

Ukraine also has already suffered a lot. Rebuilding the war's damage will be very expensive. If they succeed in getting reparations from Russia then the average Russian citizen will have even more reason to be unhappy.

And, postwar, post-Putin, where Russian prosperity is substantially reduced, there would seem to be some similarities to conditions pre-WWII.

Oh, and who gets Crimea?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Mar 2022, 11:15 am

Double Retired wrote:
And, postwar, post-Putin, where Russian prosperity is substantially reduced, there would seem to be some similarities to conditions pre-WWII.
These conditions are already the case in Russia, 30 years after losing the Cold War.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 11:58 am

magz wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
These conditions are already the case in Russia, 30 years after losing the Cold War.
That's plausible. Which would seem to mean Putin is "playing" Hitler's role...and if Putin is not deposed then WWIII is growing more likely.

My (not very well-informed) impression was that after the USSR fell apart Russia's economy was weak from decades under the Soviet system...but it was reshaping itself as a free country and had great promise...until Putin.

(And, of course, the non-USSR former Warsaw Pact countries have probably further miffed Putin...they seem to switched to NATO.)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 8:14 pm

Double Retired wrote:
"depose"...assassinate would be one way.

Ousting Putin appears to me to be the best possible solution in the current situation, whether he simply loses power or is forced to seek asylum in some other country or is assassinated. Then, hopefully, Putin's replacements stop the war, withdraw from the Ukraine, and blame it all on Putin. And it seems likely that if Putin is still alive he'll still have a lot of cash to live in luxury. Perhaps in Mar-a-Lago?

However...even if peace is restored...enormous harm has been done to the Russian economy. The rich oligarchs are inconvenienced and less rich but if they can get rid of the war and sanctions their lifestyle should recover reasonably well. The average Russian citizen's life will recover more slowly.

Ukraine also has already suffered a lot. Rebuilding the war's damage will be very expensive. If they succeed in getting reparations from Russia then the average Russian citizen will have even more reason to be unhappy.

Oh, and who gets Crimea?

In wot universe? :scratch:

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 9:04 pm

I heard some time ago that if media coverage had been the same in Hitler's time as it is these days, he wouldn't have gotten as far. That back then it was much more out of sight and mind to the rest of the world, compared to the intense scrutiny that now exists. Hitler's not going to happen again, because everyone is watching what's going on everywhere in the world, and everyone wants to make sure there's never another Hitler. Putin's not going to be able to sweep though eastern Europe the way Hitler did. There's just too much worldwide scrutiny and opposition. He's pretty much failing to even capture Ukraine.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 9:55 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I heard some time ago that if media coverage had been the same in Hitler's time as it is these days, he wouldn't have gotten as far. That back then it was much more out of sight and mind to the rest of the world, compared to the intense scrutiny that now exists. Hitler's not going to happen again, because everyone is watching what's going on everywhere in the world, and everyone wants to make sure there's never another Hitler. Putin's not going to be able to sweep though eastern Europe the way Hitler did. There's just too much worldwide scrutiny and opposition. He's pretty much failing to even capture Ukraine.

Agreed.
But I'm not in Europe, so what do *I* know? :scratch: :mrgreen:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 9:57 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
Probably.
But then again... in a war between former soviets, who knows what is truth and what is disinformation or propaganda?

I suspect Putin will be ousted soon... but perhaps my brain's been befuddled by western propaganda...?

It equals seven.

And birds arent real. Those feathered things that you see in your backyard are all drones spying on you.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 11:57 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
MrsPeel wrote:
Probably.

It equals seven.

And birds arent real. Those feathered things that you see in your backyard are all drones spying on you.

You're going to end up like Snowden and Assange.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Mar 2022, 3:03 am

Hitler's not going to happen again. A crazy, brutal war is just happening again.
The history does not repeat itself literally. Only some patterns emerge again and again.