Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 12:40 pm

One of the things my boyfriend and have learned is to meet each other half way and compromise what one likes verses what one dislikes.

For example, I like having wine with dinner but he doesn't enjoy the taste of it so I don't have it with dinner anymore. Meanwhile he is learning that I don't like horror movies but he does. He wanted to watch one tonight but I told him I was interested. How do we compromise the things that we both dislike and respect each other?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 12:52 pm

Can you not have a glass of wine and he doesn't have one? That seems more like a compromise to me. In Europe it's very common to have wine with dinner.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 12:58 pm

Cant see why anyone need to refrain from eating or drinking anything because the other person doesnt like it. Unless they are repulsed by a specific foodstuff - as I am with eggs. We sat down to dinner last night and ate and drank completely different things. My diet is highly restricted due to sensory issues and I tend to eat exactly the same meals for weeks on end. Its never a problem - we dont even comment on it.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 1:29 pm

A compromise with a movie would be to find one you both like instead and watch what you want in your own time.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 2:00 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
One of the things my boyfriend and have learned is to meet each other half way and compromise what one likes verses what one dislikes.

For example, I like having wine with dinner but he doesn't enjoy the taste of it so I don't have it with dinner anymore. Meanwhile he is learning that I don't like horror movies but he does. He wanted to watch one tonight but I told him I was interested. How do we compromise the things that we both dislike and respect each other?

There is a joke about a couple who was celebrating their seventieth wedding anniversary. The couple was asked what the key to the success of their long marriage was. The husband said, "I'll tell you. Before we married we agreed that if we had any minor disagreements, my wife would decide them, and if we had any major disagreements, I would decide them."

"And in seventy years of marriage, we have never had one major disagreement!"

Relationships are all about compromises. It will get easier.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2022, 2:24 pm

rse292, hi that is funny story.

Our half way,
1. I shake up date nights
2. He shakes up the romance