Senator - Interracial marriage states rights then backtracks

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2022, 8:17 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Sorry dumb question but isn't a politician declaring they are against interracial marriage a hate crime in terms of spreading hate?

With a few exceptions hate speech is constitutionally protected free speech. The exception is if there is imminent danger of harm which this does not come close to.

The Senate can censure him, strip him of committee assignments or expel him which is very rare.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2022, 8:20 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The exception is if there is imminent danger of harm which this does not come close to.

The Senate can censure him, strip him of committee assignments or expel him which is very rare.

In Australia we have legal protections under both state and federal law. Expressing views against interracial marriage would breach those laws as an act of racial hatred.

Had the senator been in Australia he would have also found himself in court on charges.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2022, 8:28 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
The exception is if there is imminent danger of harm which this does not come close to.

In Australia we have legal protections under both state and federal law. Expressing views against interracial marriage would breach those laws as an act of racial hatred.

Had the senator been in Australia he would have also found himself in court on charges.

America is an exception. Most “western” countries have some sort of hate speech laws.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 10:11 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

America is an exception. Most “western” countries have some sort of hate speech laws.

In Sweden, quoting the Bible verse Leviticus 18:22 is prosecutable hate speech. As it should be in the U.S.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 10:30 am

America is a disappointment.  I thought that the racism and sexism of my childhood had practically died out.  Now it seems that they have only grown and mutated in ways that I could not have imagined in the '60s and '70s.  I am looking forward to liquidating my investments and retiring overseas.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 11:16 am

The guy’s a friggin’ idiot!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 2:43 am

The fact he backtracked means he knew what he said was wrong.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 4:40 am

cyberdad wrote:

That's my take on it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 4:45 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

That's my take on it.

My take is that he thinks he is right but believes it is going to cost him politically and financially.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 7:06 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

That's my take on it.

My take is that he thinks he is right but believes it is going to cost him politically and financially.

Very possible.