What do you think about gays (or lesbians) in Politics?

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 10:21 am

Based on my impression, Lech Walesa, amid all his faults, really bought Poland out of the darkness of Soviet domination.

Obviously, I don't have a nuanced understanding of the Walesa dynamic vis-a-vis Poland.

It seems like people have a mixed impression of him. In sum: He founded Solidarity----but he also was a lousy president

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 25 Mar 2022, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 10:25 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Based on my impression, Lech Walesa, amid all his faults, really bought Poland out of the darkness of Soviet domination. . .
How much did he have to spend?

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 10:40 am

Fnord wrote:
Powerful people seem to exhibit "perpetual dissatisfaction" whether gay or not.  It is what makes them great.

Wow, I guess I am great then.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 10:48 am

And this means I'm a Doofus :P

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 12:29 pm

Seriously, think about it.  Most really successful people were total jerks to those around them, yet they were able to generate wealth and influence; while those people who simply show up for work and cheerfully take whatever crumbs are thrown their way seem to rarely achieve such wealth and influence.

LGBTQ+ or not, people who are never satisfied with anything less than total perfection rarely seem to succeed.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Mar 2022, 12:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
LGBTQ+ or not, people who are never satisfied with anything less than total perfection rarely seem to succeed.
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 12:41 pm

magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
I was thinking more of people like Richard Branson, Elton John, Jodi Foster, Neil Patrick Harris, et cetera.  They have reputations for perfectionism, and they are inarguably successful.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Mar 2022, 12:44 pm

I think perfectionism can be either constructive or destructive. Just people with its destructive form rarely get famous.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 1:27 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
in which he invites Lech Kaczyński with his wife and Jarosław Kaczyński with his "husband"

I haven't heard of Kaczynski before, so I am just trying to get facts straight. If y'all are saying he is closetted, why would he have a "husband" as the above quote illustrates?

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 9:48 am

magz wrote:
With all respect, I don't think you know this particular politician well.
The kind of dissatisfaction you describe is also called "ambition".
The kind of dissatisfaction Kaczyński shows goes well beyond that... it's obsessive and destructive. There are various gossip about it and OP asked me about just one of the circulating theories. Other factors speculated about are e.g. unhealed mourning after his brother's death.

Agree on that
Maybe Kaczyński cannot come to terms with his own sexual orientation, and he has also blamed others, but probably also himself, for the death of his twin brother, President Lech Kaczyński, an air accident near Smolensk, a diplomatic trip to which he himself pressed him.
And these conspiracy theories promoted by his friend, most likely also a closed homosexual, Antoni Macierewicz, who sometimes behaves as if he had paranoid schizophrenia, he sees conspiracies everywhere and Russian agents, one could safely say that he is our Polish version of this man :mrgreen:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_McCarthy

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Mar 2022, 11:18 am

Macierewicz hates Russians so much that he's practically in love with them... and he would probably benefit from a well-adjusted dose of Risperidone.
I didn't know aby gossip about his orientation, though.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 12:15 pm

magz wrote:
Macierewicz hates Russians so much that he's practically in love with them... and he would probably benefit from a well-adjusted dose of Risperidone.
I didn't know aby gossip about his orientation, though.

Risperidone and what it is?
It's some sort schizophrenia medication?
I'm right? :mrgreen:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 12:25 pm

Your sexuality alone doesn't make you any better at being a politician. Neither does your race, gender or religion. Politicians are human mosquitoes no matter what. Sucking people dry while spreading filth everywhere they go. The only difference is that you can swat a mosquito and get away with it.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Mar 2022, 12:31 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
Risperidone and what it is?
It's some sort schizophrenia medication?
I'm right? :mrgreen:
Anti-psychotic.
It's used for schizophrenia, yes :mrgreen:

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 12:36 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

It seems like people have a mixed impression of him. In sum: He founded Solidarity----but he also was a lousy president

Your assumptions are correct, when Poland was still communist and Wałęsa was an icon of "Solidarity", the famous Italian journalist Oriana Fallaci interviewed him and he did not make a positive impression on her, she took offense at him because, according to her, he was behaving like a megalomaniac and boor, although later she even liked him, moreover, you Americans recently had a similar statesman :D Many Poles value and appreciate Lech Wałęsa as the creator of solidarity, but in his opinion he was not suitable for the head of state, that he lacks intellectual foundations, that he only became president in order to strengthen the stereotype of a stupid Pole that there were many other more socially polite dissidents in Solidarity than he was.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 12:55 pm

QFT wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
in which he invites Lech Kaczyński with his wife and Jarosław Kaczyński with his "husband"

I haven't heard of Kaczynski before, so I am just trying to get facts straight. If y'all are saying he is closetted, why would he have a "husband" as the above quote illustrates?

It's about Jaroslaw Kaczynski, there are rumors that he is gay and had secret boyfriend that was worked in our counterintelligence, that was known as being promiscuous and bisexual.
Apparently Kaczyński had a friend, a private friend, in our Polish counterintelligence, after 1989, when Poland became democratic again, a large part of the agents most drenched in communism were dismissed, but the part that passed the vetting positively, the secret services watched Jarosław Kaczyński and reportedly recorded how he was doing sex Oral on that agent, that agent reportedly lost his job, and Kaczyński was threatened that if he would pursue the topic of Polish infiltration by the Soviet and then Russian intelligence, a video of how he sucks that guy will go to the media and his career as a leader of the Polish Christian Democrats will end as soon as has begun