Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 8:38 am

Clock gene mutation found to contribute to the development of autism

Quote:
Published in Molecular Psychiatry, a team of scientists from the University of Minnesota Medical School, University of Texas Health San Antonio, and the Biomedical Research Institute (BRI) of the Foundation for Research and Technology Hellas (FORTH) in Greece found that the disruption of a circadian clock gene may be involved in the development of autism spectrum disorder.

About 50-80% of children with ASD have sleep problems, compared to less than 30% in the general population. The causes of sleep problems in ASD are not entirely clear, but a malfunctioning body clock could be the culprit.

"It has long been recognized that the function of the body clock is frequently disrupted in autism patients and these patients often exhibit various sleep problems," said Ruifeng Cao, MD, PhD, an assistant professor of neuroscience at the U of M Medical School, Duluth Campus and co-author of the study. "But, it is not known whether clock gene disruption can directly cause autism."

The study found that the disruption of an essential clock gene in preclinical models can lead to autistic-like phenotypes. Specifically, the global or cerebellar deletion of the Bmal1 gene can cause severe impairments in sociability, social communication and excessive repetitive behaviors.

The models also illustrated damages to their cerebellum -- or cerebellar ataxia. The research team further studied the pathological changes in the cerebellum and found a number of cellular and molecular changes that indicate neurodevelopmental deficits.

"Clock gene disruption could be a mechanism underlying several forms of autism and potentially other neurodevelopmental conditions, and this finding paves the way for further exciting research," said Christos Gkogkas, PhD, a lab principal investigator in neurobiology at BRI of FORTH.

The study is supported by grants from the National Institute of Health and the Winston and Maxine Wallin Neuroscience Discovery Fund.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 9:08 am

My impression is that when I'm having trouble sleeping it's because my mind is staying busy.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 11:26 pm

hmm. and here I was thinking my nocturnal lifestyle was an atavism from times when one member of the group had to stay up and watch out for sabre tooth tigers.... it's 5 am, I should probably got to sleep

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 11:38 pm

Seriously does any human's body clock work right? We're always tired when we have to get up, and not tired when we have to go to bed. It's true for NTs as well. Although my mother seems to be an early bird, she even goes for walks after she gets up in the morning.

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2022, 9:48 pm

It kind of makes sense. I'd like to read more about the research if it's ongoing. I definitely have sleep issues. :skull:

My german shepherd that passed away 4 years ago was the only being that kept me on a regular sleep schedule. She was like clockwork woke me up the same time every morning and barked at me till I went to bed at the same time every night. She slept in the same spot next me her whole life. For the 12 years she was in my life I slept the best I ever have.

Now I'm a mess. Can't get to sleep till 4am then wake up at 7 or 8am. Therfore, I'm exhausted all the time. Then after about a week I crash and sleep all day.

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."