Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

DavidJSNSW64
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Mar 2022, 5:52 pm

Apparently it's World Autism Day on 2 April. Are you as excited as I am? I didn't know there was such a thing as a World Autism Day. The fact that it is on the 2nd of next month makes me dislike it already. For some reason, I just don't like particular numbers and two is one those. Maybe that is a peculiar feature of my own autism (or my own individual weirdness) but I have other issues.

For instance, I am a bit cynical as to the worth of these dedicated days. How useful are they in real life? How do they contribute to real change for the better? Or are they merely tokenism?

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 5:35 am

I'm a bit cynical too, hate parties of any sort, and a lot of these things are "rah rah" sorts of events, but there are many many people who do not know or understand much about autism.
If it brings up a discussion that can lead to less stigma or less ignorance, I can see its potential usefulness.
Still a lot of ignorance about autism out there!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 6:07 am

I did not know that, and yeah, my care will be zero for that one. I only really care about birthdays when it comes to specific dates. I suppose some other stuff, but mostly birthdays. No one has ever wished me a happy Autism Day (lol), so I'm gonna say it hasn't really helped me. I don't know why anyone would either.

Maybe it can help with awareness. If it does and ends up helping people, then that's good.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2022, 6:59 am

I hate “rah rah,” too.

But, sometimes, it’s needed.

JimberryAndTheCouscous
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Apr 2022, 2:35 pm

Awareness, Acceptance, Adjustments, Accommodations, Appropriate Accommodation, Ameliorations, Assistance, Advocacy, Appreciation, Access and Advancements Assisting All Autistics..

Advance Autistics!

Advance All!!

Autism Acceptance Day?!

Why is it that the terminology remains so limp?
Because we (autistics) are all so used to being kicked in the proverbials?

How about Autism Advancement Day or Autistic Advancement Day or Advance Autistics Day?

Yes, Autism Acceptance is slightly less pathetic than Autism Awareness though it still sounds to me like 'Please sir can (may) I have some more?'. Almost like, 'Oh well, we are aware of these *****s; might as well accept them'!

Best wishes to you ALL, autistic or otherwise. HaVe A gReAt dAy!

Jim from Jimberry and the Couscous (small Youtuber)

Jimberry and the Couscous - Too much information
- Failure to habituate
#ActuallyAutistic #Ableism #RightToThrive #Neglect #AutismAdvancement

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 10:04 am

Never paid attention to it before as I don't disclose my diagnosis to anyone. Going to try and put some positive messages on my twitter account though @mayorgoldiewil1

Feel free to link up!

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 10:42 am

I had no clue.

Even though I work with people with autism, I avoid the groups and educational opportunities because they are so demeaning. I must confess that for the most part, I find the parents of my clients almost impossible to deal with. It is always about them and what they want for their child.

To be clear, there was one woman who was the best mother I have ever seen.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 2:54 pm

blazingstar wrote:
I had no clue.

Even though I work with people with autism,

In what capacity do you work with autistic people?

blazingstar wrote:
I avoid the groups and educational opportunities because they are so demeaning.

I would be very interested to hear some specific relatively recent examples of how they are demeaning.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 3:02 pm

As I see it, the main point of "World Autism Day" and "Autism Awareness Month" is just so autism-related organizations can have a reliable annual news hook for publicity purposes.

JimberryAndTheCouscous
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Apr 2022, 11:20 am

Hi Everybody,
Please use fleeting moments like these to ask your friends, families and supporters to sign open Government petitions relating to autism and improving the lives of autistics so that all might thrive?
Thanking you in anticipation of your kind support and wishing you all the very best. HaVe A gReAt DaY from Jim from Jimberry and the Couscous (small Youtuber).

- Failure to habituate

JimberryAndTheCouscous
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Apr 2022, 9:49 am

Please refer to my signature!

Thanking you all in hopeful anticipation, with the kindest of regards and best wishes,

Jim

- Failure to habituate