Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 7:29 am

Misslizard wrote:
It was really fun to find the steepest longest driveway and see how fast we could go down.This was when kids could roam freely in a neighborhood and not worry that someone would come out and yell about getting sued if we wiped out.
There was a skater park close by but my friend and I were geeky and afraid those kids would whale on us.
It would have been like, “ Here come the Star Trek nerds, let’s take them down.”
Being a nerd was dangerous enough, but a moving nerd on a skateboard would have been too big a temptation for larger aggressive faster bullies on wheels.

I live in the Welsh valleys. As kids we used to go for the steepest mountain whenever possible. Hitting 40mph on a bicycle was great as a 13 year old. We used to have competitions on who could go the fastest down hills and the speeds where horrifying. It was a bit of an local childhood right of passage to be warned not to do 40 down hills.

Bikes being bikes mean I can still do it to this day without looking out of place.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 7:44 am

Nades wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
It was really fun to find the steepest longest driveway and see how fast we could go down.This was when kids could roam freely in a neighborhood and not worry that someone would come out and yell about getting sued if we wiped out.
There was a skater park close by but my friend and I were geeky and afraid those kids would whale on us.
It would have been like, “ Here come the Star Trek nerds, let’s take them down.”
Being a nerd was dangerous enough, but a moving nerd on a skateboard would have been too big a temptation for larger aggressive faster bullies on wheels.

I live in the Welsh valleys. As kids we used to go for the steepest mountain whenever possible. Hitting 40mph on a bicycle was great as a 13 year old. We used to have competitions on who could go the fastest down hills and the speeds where horrifying. It was a bit of an local childhood right of passage to be warned not to do 40 down hills.

Bikes being bikes mean I can still do it to this day without looking out of place.

When I was around 10 I used to live on the brink of foothills. And I'd get my bike going downhill fast as possible. One time I took my eyes off the road to look at a dog and sideswiped a parked car. Needed to have my eyelid and cheek stitched up. It's a miracle I wasn't more severely injured or even killed on impact. I remember 20-30 years later an optometrist pointing out that the shape of my pupil was distorted in a way that indicated my eye had suffered heavy blunt force trauma. He then asked me if I had made fun of Will Smith's wife.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 8:39 am

I've always found the key to surviving my own risky behaviours is to not get distracted until I'm done. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 8:41 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
DeepHour wrote:
I was born in the late 1950s, and I'm massively into video games (3 hours per day, sometimes). Does this make me a 'Man Child'? Maybe. Who cares?

Do you wear a towel as a cape while gaming and then run around the house with your arms stretched out pretending you're flying and stuff like that?

No, I don't have the energy.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 8:46 am

DeepHour wrote:
I was born in the late 1950s, and I'm massively into video games (3 hours per day, sometimes). Does this make me a 'Man Child'? Maybe. Who cares?
We are about the same age, and I still enjoy games like Dungeons & Dragons, Traveller, et cetera.

Man child?  No . . . but my nephew has asked me to be DM for his D&D group.

:D

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 10:15 am

Fnord wrote:
DeepHour wrote:
We are about the same age, and I still enjoy games like Dungeons & Dragons, Traveller, et cetera.

That is awesome.Wish I had a group to play with.You will be their hero.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 10:29 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Nades wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

When I was around 10 I used to live on the brink of foothills. And I'd get my bike going downhill fast as possible. One time I took my eyes off the road to look at a dog and sideswiped a parked car. Needed to have my eyelid and cheek stitched up. It's a miracle I wasn't more severely injured or even killed on impact. I remember 20-30 years later an optometrist pointing out that the shape of my pupil was distorted in a way that indicated my eye had suffered heavy blunt force trauma. He then asked me if I had made fun of Will Smith's wife.

:lol:

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 11:48 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I've always found the key to surviving my own risky behaviours is to not get distracted until I'm done. :nerdy:

You'd think I would have learned my lesson. But no, when I was about 19 I stared at something to my left and crashed my moped. Another visit to hospital and more facial scars.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 12:00 pm

Fnord wrote:
DeepHour wrote:

I have a D&D online account. That sort of thing has nothing to do with behaving like a little kid. I seriously doubt you behaved just like child when you played D&D. Maybe if you were playing with kids, you came down to their level some, as adults do when playing with children, but that's something entirely different.

How about a more applicable example, like when you were in your 30s, you and a group of the same age bracket spent lots time behaving like you were all 10 years old.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 12:03 pm

DeepHour wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
DeepHour wrote:

Do you wear a towel as a cape while gaming and then run around the house with your arms stretched out pretending you're flying and stuff like that?

No, I don't have the energy.

I think you know what my point is. I just finished an hour long session of gaming and I plan on a couple more today. Gotta get my new character up to level 50.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 5:34 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Nades wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

:lmao: i ended up in the hospital for a week after a nasty bike accident in 2012, i used to go about 50 miles per hour down a steep local hill but no more.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Mar 2022, 5:55 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Apparently adults acting childish is the accepted new norm. My bad for seeing a problem in it.
It's very common for adults to act like giant kids on LOTS of TV shows these days.
The Simpsons
Family Guy
American Dad
The Cleveland Show
South Park
Gumball
The Fairy Odd Parents
Spongebob
iCarly
& lots of various sitcoms to name a few.

You can see lots of real life examples if you watch shows like Ridciousness or World's Dumbest. Lots of adults partying & doing dangerously stupid sh!t. Also pay attention to politics to see physically adults acting like babies throwing giant tantrums to get their way.

Yet us Aspies are stereotyped to be losers & struggle to get decent employment & relationships because we are too immature & not responsible enough :huh: :hmph: Most of us are a hell of a lot more mature & responsible than the real life examples I listed & those people generally have a much easier time being employed & getting relationships. The movie Idiocracy is rapidly becoming reality

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2022, 4:43 am

auntblabby wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Nades wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

:lmao: i ended up in the hospital for a week after a nasty bike accident in 2012, i used to go about 50 miles per hour down a steep local hill but no more.

We all thought we were immortal when we were children.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2022, 5:06 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Nades wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

this was when i was in my late 40s. i was pretty well-preserved until a few years ago.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2022, 8:15 am

auntblabby wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Nades wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

this was when i was in my late 40s. i was pretty well-preserved until a few years ago.

For some reason the date of the incident didn't register. Maybe I just saw "12" at the time.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2022, 9:05 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

You'd think I would have learned my lesson. But no, when I was about 19 I stared at something to my left and crashed my moped. Another visit to hospital and more facial scars.

Ouch.

I'm not sure if it's dumb luck or genuinely that hyperfocus saves my ass, but a lifetime of provoking risk has only gotten me a handful of concussions and not the multiple unalivenings you'd expect.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う