Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 4:43 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
It's not adults riding bicycles, scooters and even skateboards that I find strange and annoying. It's the extreme level of childishness that I see going along with it.

Could you give some specific examples of what you mean by "childishness" in this context, and why it's a problem for you?

For example, do you mean being very noisy? Is this a sensory issue for you?

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 29 Mar 2022, 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 4:47 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i wish i still could. :|

Why would you want to?

because being stiff and achy and weak and stoved up and where hardly anything works right anymore is just so discouraging, so aged-feeling.

I'm sure you could probably still ride around in circles on a motorized renatal scooter while hooping hollering like those I'm talking about.

the ones at wally world are just too GD slow and buggy buggies.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 5:12 am

So maybe this is more of a complaint about a specific group of individuals causing a disturbance nearby?
I do hate to have noisy neighbors. The biggest problem here is playing loud music from 5 AM to all hours of the night, right up to 5AM again. The neighbor who does this has his house a mere 15 feet away from mine. I have to wear sound proofing (ear plugs) just to go to sleep.
Barking dogs is another big one. Unsupervised pets tied out for hour or more at a time in a barking frenzy, others in the neighborhood left in yards all day.
I usually don't mind the sound of kids at play, but one neighbor has a child that screams in a very shrill way, gets on my nerves after hours of hearing it randomly in all parts of the day (thank goodness they make her go to bed!).
I get it, people are mostly "in your face" and inconsiderate of others any more. Son's neighbors in another city play basketball all day and night in the drive next to his house and often bounce that basketball off the side of his house.
Its a human "thing" and tied to being territorial in nature, I think.
Hope you find a way to deal with the problem.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 5:21 am

auntblabby wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i wish i still could. :|

Why would you want to?

because being stiff and achy and weak and stoved up and where hardly anything works right anymore is just so discouraging, so aged-feeling.

I'm sure you could probably still ride around in circles on a motorized renatal scooter while hooping hollering like those I'm talking about.

the ones at wally world are just too GD slow and buggy buggies.

I work in a large city where there's tons of cheap e-rentals. Motorized bicycles and small scooters of various types. I wouldn't trust myself on the stand up scooters. But the small sit down ones with large seats would be manageable. I'd use one to tour around town to sightsee. But I wouldn't have any interest in zigzaging around and riding in circles going nowhere for long periods of time while making a commotion. That was fun when I was a little boy, but after I grew up it became tedious and silly.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 5:31 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I work in a large city where there's tons of cheap e-rentals. Motorized bicycles and small scooters of various types. I wouldn't trust myself on the stand up scooters. But the small sit down ones with large seats would be manageable. I'd use one to tour around town to sightsee. But I wouldn't have any interest in zigzaging around and riding in circles going nowhere for long periods of time while making a commotion. That was fun when I was a little boy, but after I grew up it became tedious and silly.

i just want to be carefree again in my movements, not having to measure each step, each movement.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 8:28 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Why would you want to?
You might remember what it was like to have fun.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 10:38 am

:roll: As if people stop having fun just because they grow older.

Motorcycles, dirt bikes, kiteboarding, boats, planes, hang gliding, sky diving, mountain climbing, skiing, snowboarding, rock climbing, ATV’s, 4x4’s, race cars and on and on and on.. people of all ages do all kinds of things for fun and fitness. Some grown men opt to carry on with the hobbies they had as teens, like skateboarding or BMX biking or ______. So what? :?

Some choose their adult activity based on interest and passion, others based on budget, others based on what their friends and family can/will get out and do.. but there’s certainly no sort of rule that says once a man reaches a certain age he’s to stop doing fun things for exercise. Where does the OP get that idea from?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Mar 2022, 10:46 am

My husband:
The difference between a boy and a man is that a man earns the money for his toys :mrgreen:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 10:51 am

I was born in the late 1950s, and I'm massively into video games (3 hours per day, sometimes). Does this make me a 'Man Child'? Maybe. Who cares?

Redpaws
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2022, 11:03 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
What is it with the increasing number if grown men riding around on skateboards and schooters like children? Where I work we have a problem all the time with this kind of activity on property, and it's always fully grown men acting like young teens.

:lol:

Why should grown men stop participating in sports & recreation activities just because they’re not 14 anymore? :?

Are men meant to be sedentary lazy fat people who get no joy out of life? :?

People use them for exercise, cardio, balance, transportation - especially in very expensive cities like where I live vw just on university campuses.

Also, Most of the best pro skaters in the world are all grown men in their 30’s and 40’s. And as grown men we have the financial means to buy Quality sporting goods that were once out of reach as teens.

Basically, you’re being a very grumpy old man about this IMO and should be happy that they’re active, athletic, and enjoying themselves while doing something that’s environmentally friendly And setting good examples for younger boys & girls.
I agree. People should be allowed to do what they enjoy, as long as they're not hurting anyone. Whose business is it if they have the same hobbies they used to?
Live and let live

No terror, no war. No sympathy for terrorists or their supporters and sympathizers

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 11:18 am

I don’t mind at all, all the things you mentioned.

I don’t like it when kids (and adults) ride bikes and skateboards on crowded sidewalks, though.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 6:43 am

Fnord wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Why would you want to?
You might remember what it was like to have fun.

Adults have plenty of fun without regressing to early childhood behavior. Do you find the need to act like a 10 year old to have fun?

Last edited by Matrix Glitch on 30 Mar 2022, 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 6:52 am

DeepHour wrote:
I was born in the late 1950s, and I'm massively into video games (3 hours per day, sometimes). Does this make me a 'Man Child'? Maybe. Who cares?

Do you wear a towel as a cape while gaming and then run around the house with your arms stretched out pretending you're flying and stuff like that?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 6:54 am

From C. S. Lewis

Quote:
Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 7:01 am

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 7:25 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
From C. S. Lewis
Quote:
Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

I have a feeling people didn't have trouble telling Lewis apart from his young stepsons based on his behavior.