2022 Oscars: Will Smith appears to hit Chris Rock

Page 21 of 22 [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 3:44 pm

I've seen a comment that it's not for white people to judge black people behavior.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 4:29 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
I've seen a comment that it's not for white people to judge black people behavior.
Link to the source, please?

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 4:41 pm

Fnord wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:

I think I originally saw it worded like that in a comment on a news article, which is not searchable.
Here's something similar stated in an actual article.
https://nypost.com/2022/04/04/msnbc-host-tiffany-cross-says-white-people-dont-understand-will-smith-slap/
Quote:
Harriot claimed the Smith-Rock incident was an example of “how black people relate to each other” in a way that white people do not understand

Let's be clear, I offer no interpretation of my own how those words should be understood. I just think it's ridiculous.

Last edited by r00tb33r on 21 Jun 2022, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 4:41 pm

r00tb33r wrote:

Makes a change after 400 years of white man's judgement

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 4:47 pm

cyberdad wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:

Pretty sure that was coming from a black person. Similarly to Kanye West saying it's not for while people to understand "black people music". :roll:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 4:55 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Fnord wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:

I think I originally saw it worded like that in a comment on a news article, which is not searchable.
Here's something similar stated in an actual article.
https://nypost.com/2022/04/04/msnbc-host-tiffany-cross-says-white-people-dont-understand-will-smith-slap/
Quote:
Harriot claimed the Smith-Rock incident was an example of “how black people relate to each other” in a way that white people do not understand

Let's be clear, I offer no interpretation of my own how those words should be understood. I just think it's ridiculous.
Let us be REALLY clear.

The article you linked to had nothing to do with your claim.  It is also only one journalist's opinion.

Try again.  A little harder, this time.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 4:59 pm

Fnord wrote:
your claim.  It is also only one journalist's opinion.

Let's back up a bit and let you re-read. This isn't my claim, and like everything else, it's an opinion just like the one of this journalist.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 8:27 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:

Pretty sure that was coming from a black person. Similarly to Kanye West saying it's not for while people to understand "black people music". :roll:

So does this mean white people shouldn't comment on the reasons why Will Smith hit Chris Rock? As it's none of our business?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 9:14 pm

i can also be thought of as racist to just consign this whole topic to the "it's just black folks" category. Rock, IMHO, in failing to push back on smith's misbehavior, is 1] perpetuating a destructive and racist myth about black folks, and 2] is (by example) encouraging more similar misbehavior among the populace in general. this is bigger than one particular race, bigger than just hollywood babylon. it has society-wide ramifications. IOW, if you don't resist this type of misbehavior, you will get more of it. it needs to be nipped in the bud consistently.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 9:19 pm

auntblabby wrote:
iperpetuating a destructive and racist myth about black folks.

Quite sure a lot of MAGA type parents would have turned to their kids when this happened and said "See I told you they are like this".

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 10:42 pm

In the 60 years I've been around a surefire way to get hit, is to go up to a couple and say something about a man's wife he considers offensive. So to me this isn't some deep mystery that needs to be solved. It's a simple matter of action and reaction.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 11:10 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
In the 60 years I've been around a surefire way to get hit, is to go up to a couple and say something about a man's wife he considers offensive. So to me this isn't some deep mystery that needs to be solved. It's a simple matter of action and reaction.

Ok Boomer

On a more serious note has this really changed that much?

My opinion no.

Another opinion of mine is the criticism is not about changed gender roles, or white people being racist, its about virtue signaling.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 11:59 am

cyberdad wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:

So does this mean white people shouldn't comment on the reasons why Will Smith hit Chris Rock? As it's none of our business?

Oh, not my words, but figured I'd mention that such a ridiculous point of view exists.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 4:54 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:

Oh, not my words, but figured I'd mention that such a ridiculous point of view exists.

I do recall some black podcasters did claim that we non-black folk don't understand how intergenerational trauma led to Will Smith's mental breakdown.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 1:44 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Ok Boomer

On a more serious note has this really changed that much?

My opinion no.

Another opinion of mine is the criticism is not about changed gender roles, or white people being racist, its about virtue signaling.

Agreed.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 8:46 am

Will Smith Clarifies Jada's Role In Oscars Slap In Apology Video

Quote:

Will Smith is telling all ― and finally apologizing ― months after slapping Chris Rock at the Academy Awards.
The Oscar-winner answered questions about the slap in a nearly six-minute long video he released on his YouTube channel on Friday.

He clarified his wife Jada Pinkett Smith’s role in the slap ― or lack thereof ― after a question appeared on screen saying, “After Jada rolled her eyes, did she tell you to do something?”

“No,” Smith said emphatically, as he began to smile.

“It’s like, you know, I made a choice on my own, from my own experiences, from my history with Chris,” he said. “Jada had nothing to do with it. I’m sorry babe”

In Smith’s new YouTube video, he said that he has reached out to Rock to talk about the incident, but the comedian said he is not yet ready to talk.

“So I will say to you, Chris, I apologize to you,” Smith said. “My behavior was unacceptable, and I’m here whenever you’re ready to talk.”

The “King Richard” actor added that he is “deeply remorseful” for his actions, and apologized to his family, fellow nominees and those who looked up to him.

“I’m trying to be remorseful without being ashamed of myself,” Smith said at the end of the video. “Right? I’m human. And I made a mistake, and I’m trying not to think of myself as a piece of s**t.”

Chris Rock Speaks Out After Will Smith’s Video Apology: ‘Everybody Is Trying to Be a F–ing Victim’
Quote:
Chris Rock’s reaction to Will Smith’s emotional video apology for that Oscars slap? A shrug and a new nickname for the “King Richard” star: “Suge Smith.”

Rock took the stage for a show at the Fox Theatre Atlanta, Georgia just hours after Smith released the video, where, according to People, he didn’t address the apology, but told the crowd, “Everybody is trying to be a f—ing victim. If everybody claims to be a victim, then nobody will hear the real victims. Even me getting smacked by Suge Smith… I went to work the next day, I got kids,” he said, referencing jailed Death Row Records cofounder Suge Knight.

“Anyone who says words hurt has never been punched in the face,” Rock quipped during the show, which is part of his Ego Death World Tour.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 01 Aug 2022, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.