Why I don't think there are "Xinjiang atrocities"?

Page 11 of 12 [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 4:14 pm

Second hand information from Uighur form Southern Xinjiang:

Quote:
I'm in a university in the south. A Uighur roommate has lived with us for four years and has a good relationship. We heard a lot from him about different views and Xinjiang from Uighurs. I'll just tell you objectively what I've heard and seen.

1. First of all, my roommate is from a relatively poor small county in southern Xinjiang, but his family is not poor

2. Ethnic relations. He clearly told us that ethnic relations in Xinjiang in recent years are not satisfactory. In the University, they can get along with strangers like us, but they seldom deal with Han students from Xinjiang, for fear of causing trouble.

3. In Xinjiang, their ethnic minorities are generally afraid of the police. According to him, in the past few years, the police often checked mobile phones to fight terrorism. But when you don't pay attention, they give you the next video on your mobile phone thich publicize the terrorist attacks and ask you for money, or else...

4. Political sensitivity is extremely high. We majored in history and politics. We always talked about various sensitive historical issues at night, and he refused to speak.

5. They are all very pessimistic about the future development of Xinjiang, and almost no one plans to go back. Now he has gone to Suzhou.

6. Xinjiang students in our school generally refuse to go home in winter and summer vacation. Take my roommate as an example. He said that as soon as he came home, he was asked by the people of the county government to write papers and reports for them. He had to go for one month during the two months of the summer vacation. Civil servants watched TV dramas beside them. He was caught once in his freshman year. He was frightened and never returned to Xinjiang again.

7. What is Xinjiang concentration camp. According to him, he has never seen anything like extermination or massacre. This is more like an education camp.
You may be asked to stay there for a few days because of all kinds of trivial matters, mainly prohibiting entertainment and receiving political education.
But - this stuff is f*****g at your own expense, 100 RMB a day. So if someone offends the village head or something, they definitely have a way to make these farmers feel uncomfortable.

8. Some interesting things. He sometimes goes to the Great Mosque in C city to buy food. There is a market there every Friday. Several times I went with him, and he always used my mobile phone to navigate. According to him, Uighur students dare not use this word on their mobile phones, otherwise they will be questioned by the police, so he always borrows our mobile phones when he goes there.

9. Although netizens complain about the preferential treatment of ethnic minorities every day, I would like to talk about the discrimination I experienced.
Once, six of our classmates, four Uighurs and two Hans, played too late outside and booked a room in the hotel. As a result, the police broke the door in the middle of the night and drove the four of them out of the street without any reason. They also scolded us for saying that we should be careful not to commit any crimes.

Note: AFAIK, since the terrorist activities in the 21st century have become more and more frequent, people from Xinjiang who are working in the mainland are often distrusted when staying in hotels. Although the Uighurs in Xinjiang have additional distrust.
But this more radical approach seems to be aimed at "gathering Uighurs".

10. At the beginning of school in 2018, this guy brought seven or eight boxes of books from home to the dormitory. Because he doesn't usually read, we are curious.
He said that they were actually reforming. The Uyghur textbooks used in their high school will be abolished, and the Uyghur books collected in the county will be burned in the square. In addition, all the small bookstores in the county were closed, and only one Xinhua bookstore was left, so he urgently transferred his books to the school.

Note: This is the time point when the controversial Uyghur language textbook was discovered.
Damn, the behavior towards other Uyghur books is really close to cultural genocide.

11. Rich people over there will also emigrate, but they do not go to Europe and America. Many go to Turkey. Turkey has great influence in the local area. I think most of the imported snacks sent by his family are from Turkey.

12. The government is a troublemaker. During the "Xinjiang cotton" incident this year, there was a heavy snow there, with more than 30 degrees below zero at night. The whole village was called out to conduct an epidemic prevention drill at night.
And during that period, everyone sent a Tiktok account, and one person had to submit three small videos of praising Xinjiang.

Note: The part about epidemic has also occurred in other regions. Although this will certainly cause criticism.
Release videos of praise... Government workers in other regions or certain groups in universities are sometimes forced to do the same. But these contents are often too perfunctory to have a substantive impact.

13. Uygur students love to join the party. He also entered. According to him, it can be used as an amulet to protect him from bullying. The usefulness is in doubt.

14. Are they halal? They are generally determined not to eat pork, but in addition, they do not leave tobacco and alcohol.
Those Uyghur I know going to the disco every day and have been to every bars in C City. They usually do not engage in religious activities. I suspect that people like him who don't read books don't know as much about the Koran as I do.
For them, reading the Koran may be similar to reading Confucius and Mencius for us.
If you look at the internal network's aversion to Islam, you will think that the Taliban has already controlled Beijing.

Finally, I will talk about the current national contradictions. Why are they so sharp? Both sides feel that it is unfair to them.
To put it simply, it is the current policy issue.
At present, the ethnic ransom policy is actually implemented, which is similar to the British rule in India.
Bribe the high-level local princes and religious leaders through money, give preferential treatment in material interests, and at the same time suppress the local culture and original organizations through colonization.
With such a policy, the Han people feel that they are second-class citizens, while the Uygurs feel that they are attacking their own culture and want to exterminate them.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 3:52 am

Note: about book.
I asked the young Imam.
He claimed that many books in his family had also been confiscated a few years ago, mainly those fables/parable. But not all Uyghur books.

But no matter what the purpose, even if the content is really dangerous, I hope that these books at least have copies for study. :cry:

I asked him about the current Uighur language teaching in public schools. He claims that there is still a separate subject to teach Uyghur. (different from the main subjects previously taught in Uighur)

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 5:18 pm

A person who visited Uighur friends in southern Xinjiang in 2019 and lived in their home for two months privately told me:

At that time, the Uyghur Koran was still openly displayed in local homes.

Religious ceremonies are prohibited in public places, but are allowed to be performed privately at home or in public in mosques. He believes that this is to prevent terrorists from planning attacks on the grounds of gathering religious activities at home, as in the past.

He once witnessed a Uighur being sent to a "school". Because other Uighurs in the village thought the Uighur was too extreme, they were afraid and reported him.

People his Uighur friends know who came back from the "school" said that there was no abuse in the school and there was boring learning. This time is weeks or months.

The village branch secretaries sometimes organize cultural activities that meet the characteristics of the local people, just like other villages in China.

There are two Han cadres sent to the village and hundreds of Uighur locals. He did not think that in the village he visited, there would be abuse of the local people by Han cadres, because the local people could easily fight back.

Some local men are extremely patriarchal, and their wives have seven or eight children.

He used VPN to browse external websites in Xinjiang.

He did not think that the Uighurs he had met were hiding anything.

He admitted that some of the bad things I raised might be true. But in his two months of local life, he did not notice anything except strict security control.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2022, 1:13 am

The internal network Kazakh community is talking about that starting this month, they will be allowed to travel to Kazakhstan without a visa for 14 days.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 4:35 am

Privately ask two Uighurs about World Uyghur Congress:

A secularized Pro-establishment young Uighur university student:
"I hope the country will eliminate them. "
They are fomenting more ethnic conflicts.

A pious Uighur university student who advocates "more autonomy":
WUC is a group of idiots.
There is little evidence of the events they used in accusing the CCP. The false pictures they sent were immediately recognized by many people as pictures of other events.
They have driven many moderate Uighurs to a dead end. They spread rumors and incitement outside, and CCP suppressed Uighurs inside.
When Rebiya was a businesswoman, she forcibly occupied the real estate and real estate of several elderly female Uighurs. Later, CCP took advantage of them, and they often released Uyghur videos of revile Kadeer.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 5:19 am

OHCHR Assessment of human rights concerns in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, People’s Republic of China
“Serious human rights violations have been committed in XUAR in the context of the Government’s application of counter-terrorism and counter-“extremism” strategies. The implementation of these strategies, and associated policies in XUAR has led to interlocking patterns of severe and undue restrictions on a wide range of human rights. These patterns of restrictions are characterized by a discriminatory component, as the underlying acts often directly or indirectly affect Uyghur and other predominantly Muslim communities”
Comments from the external network Chinese community:

Quote:
The report investigates and lists the possible problems existing in Xinjiang

1. Lynching violence and abuse of Uygur "students" in the "re education camp"

2. In the "re education camp", the "students" are forced to use medicine and their right to medical treatment is restricted.

3. The detention of the "re education camp" is ethnically targeted, and the scope of attack is too large, and the judicial procedures are seriously inadequate.

4. The targeted restrictions on the religion and language of Uighurs in violation of the Chinese constitution. Uyghur is prohibited in schools.

5. The Uyghur's personal privacy and freedom of movement are restricted, and there are phenomena of forced migration and forced expropriation of Uyghur property by the government

6. Forced birth control for Uygur women

7. Involuntary labor

Quote:
I absolutely believe that the report of the United Nations is true, because these crimes are not limited to the Uighurs in Xinjiang. I don't know how many people still remember the labor camps and shelters in those days.

Quote:
The crimes committed by the Communist Party of China in this report will not be seen by ordinary Chinese as fake, because these crimes are widespread, not only in Xinjiang, not only in Uighurs.

In my opinion, the content of this report is actually very "ordinary".

I privately asked the Uighur I knew. He did not know the details of the "study class". However, their Uighur community did mention "white tablets", electroshock and "chairs with restraint function", but he was not sure whether it was common.

He thinks that the description of "forced labor" (at least the part of non "study class") is too exaggerated. He described the situation as "to put it mildly, everyone needs a job when the superior comes to inspect. If a couple runs a supermarket, the registered owner of the supermarket is the wife. Her husband needs to sign a labor contract with his wife to prove that he has a job."(otherwise, the government will force him to get a job)

He determined that the other parts were in line with what he knew.

Forced birth control is a common phenomenon in the implementation of family planning. It is also a common phenomenon that Chinese dialects are forbidden to be used in primary schools.
These actions seem to "cancel the immunity of ethnic minorities in these domains".

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2022, 11:22 am

I privately asked a Mongolian from Xinjiang, who is concerned about Xinjiang issues, about the coexistence of the "Quran in Uyghur" and the "destruction of books in Uyghur"

His statement: The Quran is not sensitive at all, because it is everywhere. What is really destroyed is those related to history and literature. Even foreign popular works translated in Uyghur.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 1:37 am

This left-wing report tells about the destruction of some Mazar in Xinjiang.

I asked the devout Salafiyyah Uyghur Muslim I knew. (he advocates greater autonomy.)

- What is Mazar?
- Tomb.
- I read a report that some Mazars were destroyed.
- That is GREAT! I strongly support CCP to destroy Mazar.
- It's said to be a holy place?
- No, Mazar worships demons/ghosts. It's an imitation. A product of feudal rule.
- It is said that some women praying for pregnancy will swallow the soil in Mazar.
- They are all idiots. Do you think this is effective? This is an obvious feudal superstition.

He was angry at the removal of the dome above the mosque.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 2:00 pm

A description that confirmed my conjecture that the "school" was divided into different levels. form 3 years ago.

Quote:
RELEVANCE: my company had Uighur interns in the summer before; The elder of a colleague's family was a reform through labor prisoner who was sent to Xinjiang in the past

Does the re education camp exist?

Yes, and many, with different security levels. But the aim is to educate some people about patriotism.
When I think with my toes, I will know that there will be no skinning and rape here. No matter how stupid the method used by the state, it is also to unite the Uyghur people. There is no motivation to do these things. It is not "black sun 731".

What is the situation of the re education camp?

According to the Uighur interns, the people inside should be sent to schools with low security level one by one according to their performance (yes, these organizations feel that they are similar to vocational schools).
In school, one thing is brainwashing. Of course, brainwashing is done all over the world. It's just very strong over there. There are slogans everywhere, which will make people feel Orwellian,
Another important thing is to learn skills. The goal is to let people who graduate from the re education camp have jobs directly (my understanding is that if they become workers with jobs to do, they can not only improve social productivity, but also reduce the cost of the government in maintaining social order).
In fact, many Uyghurs do not like to learn as much as he does, so it is easy for them to believe that the Han people want to harm them. There are also some people who live in poverty and need some way out.
Therefore, some educated Uighurs also think it is understandable, and of course, many feel that this kind of thing is not good.

What are they doing in the re education camp?

In view of the fact that only the re education camps with low security levels will let students go home, interns are not very clear about what those heavy places are. In lighter places, it is basically thought learning (singing, shouting slogans, making blackboard newspapers, and other unclear), as well as skill learning (hairdressing, computer technology, etc.).

Should we believe what the intern said?

Here I will introduce my colleague's grandfather as the control group. His place of reform through labor is Xinjiang. Everyone outside the firewall knows how ridiculous things would be in that era, but he would be relieved of his labor by the person in charge at that time because of his poor health and other reasons. We are all human beings. I really don't know what kind of mentality people have to spread the rumors of skinning.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 8:46 am

A Uyghur claimed that in the past, Putonghua was indeed advocated in many schools, and failure to speak mandarin would be criticized; But now with the improvement of students' mandarin level, there is no control, and everyone speaks their mother tongue.

Note: in the past, the mainstream was that ethnic minorities used minority languages to participate in the unified entrance examination of universities. This makes many Uyghurs completely unable to speak Mandarin.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 9:18 am

In the four major Uighur regions in southern Xinjiang, 15 years of compulsory education are now available. All local ethnic groups, including the Han, enjoy this.

China generally implements 9 year compulsory education.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 3:25 am

A Hui woman from Xinjiang tell me that the policy difference between Chen Quanguo(2017-2021) and his previous term was that the former term encouraged people to learn languages from each other, while Chen ask everyone to learn Mandarin.
Cross ethnic marriage is encouraged and rewarded. If cross ethnic marriage occurs, this example will get a lot of publicity.

She was quite dissatisfied with this, believing that the government did not encourage the existence of ethnic minorities.

But she denied the existence of forced marriage.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 7:50 am

I think there are Xinjiang Atrocities.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 9:55 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I think there are Xinjiang Atrocities.

Yes, after checking more sources, I think this is excessive.
I will continue to ask the opinions of different local ethnic groups to document local policies.

SkinnedWolf wrote:
But she denied the existence of forced marriage.

A young Uighur woman from southern Xinjiang who was strongly dissatisfied with the CCP said that she had no idea whether there was forced marriages, at least she had never seen one.
She claims that in cross ethnic marriage, there are more Uighur women and Han men than Uighur men and Han women.
But other people we talked to thought that this might be because Uighur men who date Han women are less willing to marry them.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 11:05 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
A Uyghur claimed that in the past, Putonghua was indeed advocated in many schools, and failure to speak mandarin would be criticized; But now with the improvement of students' mandarin level, there is no control, and everyone speaks their mother tongue.

Note: in the past, the mainstream was that ethnic minorities used minority languages to participate in the unified entrance examination of universities. This makes many Uyghurs completely unable to speak Mandarin.

A Kazakh college student who still lives in Xinjiang told me that in his school, it was forbidden to speak non Mandarin in the whole school in 2017. After 2017, it is required to speak Mandarin only in the classroom.

He claims that the situation in the Kazakh gathering place was never serious. But countryside in the four Uighur and Kirgiz settlements in southern Xinjiang are very strict. He has 20 classmates from there, 7 of whom have father or mother who is/was "studying".

He claims that he can talk about sensitive matters on one-to-one social software without causing trouble, as well as using VPN.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 5:57 pm

A Xinjiang Han Talk about Camp From three years ago

Recently, the New York Times made a big news and released a large number of documents from the Xinjiang government. For people outside Xinjiang, especially those abroad, this is undoubtedly a huge impact. However, for Xinjiang people, this is just a well-known fact that they have known for a long time but have kept silent by tacit consent. I think it's hard to see articles from the perspective of Xinjiang people outside the wall. As for the dynamics of Xinjiang, they often fall into the Uyghur perspective of anti oppression and the Han perspective of supporting the government. So I decided to write an article about my opinion.

At first, I will explain my origin - Three generations of Xinjiang Han people, the grandfather generation responded to the national call to come to Karamay, Xinjiang, to dig for oil. Now I live in Guangdong, but because I can't adapt to the climate and congestion, I always want to have the opportunity to go back. I mean, if I can back to the situation at the beginning of this century, there will be no ethnic conflicts or tension.

What needs to be explained in advance is that each of us' views are jointly determined by our own growth environment and life experience. I just explain some situations from my point of view. My point of view cannot represent other ethnic groups in Xinjiang, nor can it represent Han people in Xinjiang. In particular, my point of view is different from theirs.

The environment in which I grew up

Karamay is most famous for oil, except for the 12·8 fire that "let the leaders go first". With abundant oil, Karamay has the highest average income and the best urban construction level in Xinjiang. Like other cities in the north due to mineral resources, Xinjiang Petroleum Administration was once the only organization responsible for all operations of the city, and the city and oil fields were not separated. Of course, this is not the case now, but "oilfield system" is still the first choice for people to choose work.

The Han in Karamay accounts for about 80%, the Uygur 12%, the Kazakh 3%, and the Hui 2%. The rest can be ignored.

In primary school, there were ethnic classes in our school. They will be called "ethnic examination by ethnic" in the future, taking the college entrance examination in their native language. There are also a few Uyghurs in Han classes. Basically, there are several Uyghurs in each class, that is, "ethnic examination by Han". The advantage of this is that in the future, they will not only choose the same range of institutions as Han people, but also get 50 points. At that time, Uyghur people gave me the impression of "holding together", "barbarism" and "like fighting". Occasionally, conflicts between ethnic classes and Han classes break out, but they are small and not serious.

At that time, I was short and would be bullied by the Uyghur class, but once it was the Uyghur in the senior Han class who helped me out. So at that time, I had a very bad impression of Uyghur people, mainly people from ethnic classes.

In the middle school, there is no ethnic class in the school. "Ethnic examination by ethnic" will go to another middle school. At this time, we don't put much emphasis on ethnic groups. All ethnic groups also play together. But after school, we can still see Uyghur people smoking together. It's human nature to Tribalism.

I still remember a very interesting scene. I walked home with a ethnic minority friend. A group of Uyghur people (called gangsters in our words, they either wandered in the street or didn't study hard) came to me. He hurried me to other places and said, "WTF, it's these Uyghurs again. Let's go faster. I don't like Uyghurs."

I was shocked: "What? Aren't you Uyghur?"

He said: "No, I am Kazakh."

This example is very representative, that is, there are many ethnic groups in Xinjiang, and the outside world can easily simplify Xinjiang into the contradiction between Uyghur and Han. But in fact, there will also be contradictions between different ethnic groups.

But to be honest, children don't know what ethnic hatred is. They will be brothers tomorrow if they fight today.

In high school, people will be more mature, and will not have hatred, even friction. However, there is an exception in my impression: The next day after the 7·5 incident, after one night's gestation, there was no Uyghur (but there was Hui) in our class. At that time, people were angry and scolded the government for its inaction. But that's all. We still have to face Uyghur students and work with Uyghur colleagues.
(If I remember correctly, there was a Han people's march in Urumqi on July 7, launching a retaliatory attack on the Uyghur people)

By the way, Uyghur youth often played and sang downstairs, even late at night. We have to call the police often to drive them away. But they just don't dare to make such a noise in front of Uyghur residential buildings.

This is my experience of dealing with Uyghurs. After that, I went to other places to go to university and only kept in touch with two Kazakh friends.

Who is being discriminated against

If you ask Han and Uyghur respectively who are the disadvantaged groups discriminated against, you will get two completely different answers. They all think they are discriminated against.

What is the policy that makes everyone think they are the victims?

What the Han cares about is family planning. The Han can only have one child and the minority can have two. There are also extra points for the college entrance examination, including 50 for Uyghur and Kazakh, and 20 for Hui. In the event of conflict between different ethnic groups, the police prefer to be conciliatory and unwilling to punish ethnic minorities. In addition, all units have quotas for ethnic minorities. Their views are somewhat like the dissatisfaction of white Americans and high-class Indians with preferential policies.

My view is that no ethnic group is discriminated against in the system. If we only look at the preferential policy, it is obvious that the Han suffer losses. What the Han do not realize is that they have a congenital condition to surpass the minorities: mother tongue.

The Predicament of Uighurs

The native language of Uyghur and Kazakh is not Mandarin, which leads to their poor performance in school, and their performance is generally at the lower middle level.

In the future, if you graduate from university, the whole environment will be completely different, basically equivalent to going abroad. You can imagine what experience it would be if you were asked to settle in Tibet, and whether your family would agree.

If we do not go out of Xinjiang, there will not be so much good job to do.

It is not a problem for us to go to Shanghai or Shenzhen or Chengdu to settle down. After all, it is a sino cultural circle and there is no cost to adapt. But these problems, which are easy for us, will not for them.

For a highly educated Uyghur, it is necessary to go to the mainland to work, give up its original lifestyle and culture, and obtain higher income and recognition of the Han nationality; Or stay in Xinjiang and do a job that is neither cooperating with major nor enjoy.

This is the biggest dilemma for ethnic minorities: the conflict between cultural identity and personal ideals.

Can development solve the problem?

I don't know whether development can solve the problems in Xinjiang, but at least, the ethnic minorities in Xinjiang have not gained so much "development". Take Hotan, the poorest region in Xinjiang, for example. In 2018, the per capita income of urban residents was 28610 yuan, while that of rural residents was even worse, 8756 yuan. Note that this is the annual income. If you are a Uighur born in Hotan, what can you do to achieve the goal of middle class?

I have written an article before that Kashgar and Hotan were once the hubs of Central Asia and flourished for a time. However, with the rise of maritime transport, it has become a remote frontier from the intersection of major civilizations. You can open the map to see that if people in Hotan want to leave Xinjiang, they need to take a train through Kashi-Aksu-Korla-Turpan-Hami-Gansu before leaving Xinjiang. Not to mention the time when the railway is not available, it will take several days to get to Urumqi.

The second is the harsh environment. The climate of southern Xinjiang is mainly arid desert, and the water source is completely from glacial meltwater. People live together around rivers. It is raining soil most of the year. It is unrealistic to expect agriculture to make more money in this environment.

In addition to the disadvantage of mother tongue, it is more difficult to enter the government, state-owned enterprises and other places with better local conditions.

The poor transportation, bad climate and inferior mother tongue together make this place very poor, so it is easy for extremism to take root in these places.

If these people were Han, they would not stay here. They would all work in factories in the mainland. However, how can these Uyghur farmers, who cannot speak Mandarin fluently and have low education level, cross mountains and rivers to work in a strange place?

So I think the soil of Xinjiang extremism is that the Uyghurs did not catch the fast train of China's economic development, leading to a widening gap between the economic level of the Uyghurs and the Han.

What about Kazakhs? Kazakhs have a home country, Kazakhstan. If they have a hard life, they could emigrate. In fact, the relation between Kazakhs and Han is very good. As far as I know, Han generally have a high opinion of Kazakhs.

The quiet rise of Wahhabi

The government did not explain this in detail, which may be due to the relation with Saudi Arabia. However, since the 1990s, there has been a large amount of funds from the Middle East to build mosques everywhere. At the same time, many people go to the Middle East for pilgrimage.

As a result, about ten years ago, I saw a woman covered from head to toe in the streets of the city. For a while, I thought I was in Afghanistan. That kind of impact is really great. Because Uyghurs used to be very fashionable and bold. Under the influence of religion, they began to move closer to the Arabs.

In addition, I also have a Muslim friend who told me that she was humiliated in front of other men because she wore shorts. Those insults are strong. Then she said she would never go to southern Xinjiang again.

There are official reports about "not letting children go to school, but going to the mosque", "smashing the tobacco and wine shops", "underground preaching"... I haven't seen them with my own eyes, but I've heard and I believe those are true.

The simple truth is that if the government cannot give them hope, the missionaries will.

Be busy at putting up installations

No matter what the purpose is, the central government has indeed invested quite a lot of money in Xinjiang, even excluding the part of maintaining stability.

When I was kid, there were only two railways in Xinjiang: the Lanzhou-Xinjiang Railway from Hami to Alashankou, and the Southern Xinjiang Railway from Urumqi to Kashgar.
The dark red part marked with dense stations is the former railway line

Now, Kashi-Hotan, Kuitun-Altay, Karamay-Tacheng, Hami-Luozhong (that is, Nalop Nur) railways have been opened to traffic, and Hotan-Ruoqiang, Korla-Golmud, Altay-Fuyun-Zhundong and other lines are under construction.
After the construction is completed, the Junggar Basin and Tarim Basin will be surrounded by railways. The route out of Xinjiang in southern Xinjiang does not need to bypass Korla, Hami and Gansu, but can leave Xinjiang from Ruoqiang, pass Qinghai and reach Chengdu.
Except that the purple line of Kuitun-Hotan has not been repaired, other red and purple parts have been repaired or started

There is no need to say that this is for troop transportation or colonization. Real colonists would not spend so much money on infrastructure. The construction of the railway will certainly drive the economy, and also make it easier for people in southern Xinjiang to work in the mainland and earn more money. However, it is clear that the pressure of Sinicization will be greater.

In addition, Xinjiang has the largest number of airports in China. I made a map:

Many places in Xinjiang are closer to Iraq than Guangdong, and it is difficult to get in and out of Xinjiang. It takes 48 hours to get to Guangdong by train - still the result of several speed increases - if it is in southern Xinjiang plus 24 hours, it takes 5-6 hours by air.

Now, the transportation is so convenient that you can get home in at least one day. The government has done a good job in this regard, and there is nothing to blame.

Cultural genocide or integration into the mainstream?

So I think foreigners think that it is wrong for China to carry out cultural genocide in Xinjiang, at least not in the original intention. Various policies carried out by the central government in Xinjiang, such as assisting minority students to attend the first class of internal senior high school in mainland middle schools, giving extra points for college entrance examination, targeted assistance to build factories, and 12 years of compulsory education...

The purpose of all kinds of policies is to let ethnic minorities "integrate" into the mainstream society and become real "Chinese". As for how many national cultures will be lost in the process, it is not considered. It's like the promotion of standard Chinese has also led to the decline of dialects. In fact, the essence is the same. Do you think the government has cracked down on your dialect? No, but the objective environment does make the dialect disappear gradually. This is also a problem that a unified country will encounter: small language speakers either choose to integrate into the mainstream society or stick to their own cultural traditions.

I have no opinion on this issue. On the one hand, I hope that China can have a variety of cultures. On the other hand, I hope that they can work and live smoothly in the mainland like the Han people. Of course, this is my wishful thinking.

People with a vested interest

Another common foreign misconception is that the current camps in Xinjiang are associated with the Nazi concentration-camps in those days, aiming at the elimination of ethnic groups and religions. In fact, the difference is quite large.

The Nazis targeted at the entire ethnic group, and Jews had no choice. The Xinjiang camp are actually targeted at conservative Muslims. People in the mainland should be unable to imagine what extreme things religious people will do. Why does Xinjiang, a poor province, basically realize 15 years of compulsory education in 2018? Because there were many believers who did not let their children go to school, but sent them to learn the Koran. Therefore, this aspect is now very strict. School age children must go to school, and minors are not allowed to go to mosques. How many people enter the camp for this reason? They won't tell you.

It is easy for the outside world to imagine the situation in Xinjiang as the oppression of one ethnic group against another, which is actually inaccurate. A considerable number of Uighurs can be said to belong to vested interests, and they are not theoretically prohibited from entering the system. So if you go to Xinjiang, you will find that many people who in the government ,who patrol the streets, who are responsible for security checks at checkpoints, are Uighurs.

The CPC's requirements for Uyghurs can be simplified as follows: as long as you seriously learn Chinese, support the Party, love the country, and better not to believe in religion, you will live the same life as other Chinese people. Otherwise, go to the camp.

Socialist solution

The background of the camp is the increasingly frequent and serious terrorist attacks. Of course, there are some incidents that I don't think are terrorist attacks. For example, attacks on police stations can be regarded as acts of war, rather than terrorist attacks against civilians. Just as we have no feelings about what happened in Iraq, the terrorist attacks in remote places are only a brief international news; The same is true of what happened in Xinjiang for you.

Review the violent terrorist events in Xinjiang in recent years: List of terrorist activities in Xinjiang
At 23:45 on July 30, 2011, two suspects hijacked a single row truck waiting for traffic lights at the intersection of the Food Street in Kashi, Xinjiang. They killed a driver with a knife and then drove to the crowd. They got off the bus and cut down the roadside crowd with a knife. Six innocent people were killed and 28 people were injured at the scene. At about 16:00 on July 31, a group of violent terrorists rushed into a restaurant (located in the pedestrian street) in Champs Elysees Street, Kashgar City, killing the owner and a waiter, and arson. When the public security police and firefighters rushed to the scene to fight the fire, the mob rushed out of the restaurant and killed innocent people around, killing 4 people and injuring 12 others.

On the morning of February 28, 2012, Abu Dukremu Mamuti gathered the members of the organization at home to organize, divide the work, distribute tools such as knives and axes, and determine to carry out violence. At about 18:00 pm, the violent gang came to the Xingfu Road Pedestrian Street in Yecheng County, where they killed civilians with knives and axes, killing 13 people and injuring 16 (2 of them died after rescue).

Violent terrorist attacks at Urumqi South Railway Station in 2014.

In 2014, Urumqi Park North Street morning market violent terrorist attack. Two off-road vehicles drove from the north to the south, broke through the protective fence and ran over the crowd in the morning market. When the vehicle stopped, more than a dozen people were injured and lying on the ground. After that, people on the vehicle threw explosives outward, and the vehicle exploded violently again, with more than ten explosions lasting for several minutes. 43 people died.

I only excerpted attacks against civilians. Those aimed at the police station and the government are countless. For us, these events are no longer short news of remote border areas, but terrible events in familiar places. This has a greater impact on us: will this happen to me?

How did the World Uighur Congress evaluate these attacks?

On the 30th, spokesman Dirichati said that the World Uighur Congress "has known about the explosion at Urumqi Railway Station, and is further understanding the cause of the incident". On May 1, the World Uighur Congress called on and required the Chinese government to "rationally handle emergencies, release innocent Uighurs arrested, and stop using accidents to incite and demonize Uighur groups."

They are not even willing to condemn symbolically!

CPC‘s solution is very rude: security inspection, monitoring and ideological transformation. As for how many people were wronged in the process, it was just a sacrifice for a greater goal. It was very socialist.

The Embarrassment of Han People in Xinjiang

After the previous introduction, the Han people in Xinjiang actually support these measures for various reasons. Of course, it is not to support the means of camps, but to simply think that the starting point of "combating extremist ideas" is good. One obvious change is that there have been no attacks in the past two years. However, everyone is extremely tired of all kinds of "troubles" such as frequent security checks and patrols, but only complains at home. If you complain online, you will also go to the camp.

So my views on these things are confused. On the one hand, I think what the government has done has pushed many Uighurs to the opposite and treated many nationalists as extreme religious elements; On the other hand, my family are all in Xinjiang. I can't say that I support "Uyghur people's righteous act against tyranny", which means I support them to kill my family.

Where does the Western China go

Generally speaking, I will not publish these contents on the domestic network, which will bring me great trouble. Recently, however, Xinjiang has become the focus of international attention. In addition to the voice of the Chinese government, the Uighurs in exile, and the European and American governments, I also want to express the view of the Han people who occupy the other half of the population in Xinjiang - once again, I do not represent other Han people, and I hope you can have more knowledge and understanding of the Xinjiang issue.

I'm not a social science major. I'm just a science student. I'm not able to demonstrate such a big topic. I just want to introduce the background and my views to you.

My goal is that we can realize that the Uyghur people, a nation that has created an excellent civilization, will not go crazy and chop people around for no reason, and the Chinese government will not put so many people in concentration camps just because of racial hatred.

But when you ask me, do you support the camp?

I can only make it clear that I do not support it. But I have no other solution.

Once a thing is done, the crimes committed cannot be undone, and the hatred planted cannot disappear (except for time and death). Whether Xinjiang will eventually explode or complete the socialist ideological transformation, to tell the truth, I don't know.

I still hope that there will be no hatred and danger in Xinjiang, that there will be no differences among ethnic groups except for cultural customs, and that national equality will be truly achieved.

As for the security of tourism in Xinjiang, there is no need to worry about it. Although Xinjiang's security is armed, it is also a kind of security. I have to say that Xinjiang has the best natural scenery in China, and the food is good. It's really a pity not to come here. Welcome to travel! (I woulf go to Hotan and Kashgar in January next year.)

The final question is for you. If we go back to the 1990s, what do you think the government should do to avoid today's situation?