There is something weird I find about aspies and loud noises

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2022, 7:45 am

Sudden loud sounds have always freaked me out, but also more predictable buzzing or droning noises. I get pretty disturbed by the sounds of pneumatic drills in the street, neighbours drilling next door while doing DIY, and a more recent bugbear is street buskers performing their amplified stuff in public places. I used to enjoy going shopping as a relaxing experience, where I could wander around a town centre lost in my thoughts, but just try that these days anywhere near Market Street outside the Arndale Centre in Manchester, or in numerous other town centres in the UK. My mother hoovering in the living room also used to drive me nuts as a kid.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2022, 7:09 pm

i used to notice and not entirely like the piercing sound of the horizontal scan whistle on old NTSC tv sets.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2022, 7:15 pm

^ I don't know whether it's the same thing, but one of my old CRT televisions used to emit some kind of high-pitched sound whenever very bright white colours were displayed on the screen. I was quite relieved when it stopped working and I could throw it out.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2022, 7:22 pm

DeepHour wrote:
^ I don't know whether it's the same thing, but one of my old CRT televisions used to emit some kind of high-pitched sound whenever very bright white colours were displayed on the screen. I was quite relieved when it stopped working and I could throw it out.

good to know you had acute hearing :dj:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 9:10 am

I don't like the sound of yelling and loud voices. I shut down when someone yells at me. There was a time that I didn't visit my parents for 6 months, in 2016 because my mum yelled at me as she attacked me on account of my special interests.