Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2022, 7:21 pm

I'm stressed out at work between, being left in charge a lot from the store manager being out and one of my friends being depressed. I can only do so much for the depressed girl, between her constant negativity and I have my own stuff going on. I was so stressed I tossed and turned all night, I only got 2 hours of sleep which didn't help with today being hectic, nevermind I drank two monsters, just to stay awake. I had a suspicion a guy was shop lifting today, as a under armor hoodie I put out this morning was priced 19.99, it looked a awfully lot like the one I put out what he paid for. It didn't dawn on me til after he left what happened. I didn't know there was a policy if anything was tempered with price wise don't sell it. I also had the credit card machine, say that we were 27 dollars over, it's been hectic with no manager working the last two days I was in charge. I didn't realize until I got home, that I forgot to double check if the one back door was locked how exhausted I am. The guy I closed with besides the other cashier, is normally pretty good about closing it but I'm so exhausted I forgot to check. I don't know if I should just seriously consider stepping down from my full time position, or just getting help for my nerves how i'm a nervous wreck anymore

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2022, 7:05 am

Sounds scary.

Keeping track of things that need to be done is something a lot of us have difficulty with.

Would it help to make a to-do list of all the key steps involved in closing the store, including checking the back door?

That way, hopefully you wouldn't need to worry about forgetting anything (unless you forget to look at the list, of course -- might take a while to get into that habit?).

CurrerBell
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2022, 12:48 pm

That sounds like a lot to deal with. To echo what Mona Perith said, most retail places I have worked had procedures in place to lessen the chances of forgetting a step. Perhaps the next time your manager puts you in charge you could ask for a checklist of duties? It is good practice in general for the store.

But please don't feel too bad! I have forgotten to lock the door before and set alarms. It's just not everyone's forte, and that's OK. You can only try your best and remember to ask for help when you need it. :)

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Apr 2022, 10:17 pm

Can relate. As already mentioned many ASD (myself included) have troubles remembering some or most of the stuff we have to do. Add that to deal with customers... that's next level. I gave up (well actually sort of delegated) attending customers as it completely drained me up.

Back to your situation, and with lack on context, I think you are either adjusting still to a new situation or walking on a dangerous edge. Be careful not to burn out or break, that would be worse, ask for help in your position (if possible, again, I don't know how is your company, bosses and all that), find what strategies worked for the previous person in that roll and bear in mind it will take time to adjust. But IF possible, avoid going at it all by yourself, a sudden change is always a challenge, a subtle transition is probably better (unless asking for the help is a problem in itself for other reason then it will be on you, but that alone for me would be a reason to maybe (depends on the nature of your job) look for a more understanding workplace).

Also, find a friend you trust or a therapist or even here WP forums for dealing with that anxiety before it eats you.
About your depressed friend, I'm sorry about it, and I'm sorry to tell you this, but you can't give anything if you have nothing left in you. Same rule as in traffic accidents, 1st is YOUR safety, then the others, don't care if they are dying. If you are on the edge, prioritise helping yourself first, that would be the best for you and your friend (as you may be able to help in the future, 2 depressed girls instead of 1 is worse by all possible metrics).

About checking the door and the minor theft, well that's life, you can't control everything all the time. It sucks, but it is what it is. I found to do list useful but very tiring to use, you may need to find your own method for remembering stuff that doesn't take all your energy if you find trouble with that in the future (as of now it could have been a product of your anxiety and novelty of the situation).

Keep it up, you have it!